Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Blues, anyone?

Any Marcus King fans? The guys an absolute monster! A true old blues soul despite his youth!

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Any Marcus King fans? The guys an absolute monster! A true old blues soul despite his youth!
    Big fan here. I saw him open for Umphrey's McGee a couple of years ago and he was amazing. He later came back through town for a headline show and saw him again right up close to the stage. Agree, the kid is an amazing talent.

Have we covered this kid yet?

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Big fan here. I saw him open for Umphrey's McGee a couple of years ago and he was amazing. He later came back through town for a headline show and saw him again right up close to the stage. Agree, the kid is an amazing talent.

The thread's a few years old so maybe I already replied but I dig the gnarly Mississippi Hill Country guys like RL Burnside and Junior Kimbrough.

Great documentary about the genre:

You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

New vid this fall from Samantha Fish

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Love Samantha Fish, thanks for posting that.

I saw Tommy Castro and Tinsley Ellis TNT tour last week. I was able to get right up near the stage to see both of them up close. I like Tommy better than Tinsley, but they were both great. Ellis plays a more ragged style. He actually kind of reminds me of Neil Young with some of his guitar solos. Castro is smoother, with more of a soul influence. They both did solo sets, then came out and jammed with each other at the end. If you like blues and this tour is coming to your town, it is a great show.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Have we covered this kid yet?

I saw Kingfish open for Buddy Guy Saturday night. This kid is the real deal. The future of the blues right here. He is a fantastic player and sings like a man 5 times his age. Buddy brought him back out for a jam at the end of his set. Seeing Buddy and Kingfish together on the same stage was very cool.

I found some video from the show. One thing I will say was although I have seen Buddy Guy many times, this was the first time where I kind of got the feeling that his skills were in decline. As you can see in this video he sings / talks more than he plays and it was kind of like that all night. When he did play he was still good, but seemed to be not quite at the same level when I saw him a year ago. That being said, for 83 years old the guy can still put on a great show.

Last edited by SteveSly; 01-14-2020 at 10:52 PM.

Blues anyone?

No thanks, I'm driving....

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Tommy Emmanuel, not the typical bluesguitarist, but here he shreds like Steve Ray on an acoustic:

https://youtu.be/ns2XTPKt9HY?t=3m58s
    Tommy had a brother, Phil who was just as good if not better. Unfortunately Phil had his demons that were too strong for him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi1LoKfrctU
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Troels Jensen died today 74 years old, RIP.
    He started Delta Blues Band in 68, which in those days had a psychedelic vein.

Troels Jensen died today 74 years old, RIP.
    He started Delta Blues Band in 68, which in those days had a psychedelic vein.
    RIP!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Banned
    Is this blues?

Banned
    Yer Blues

Heavy blues

Heavy blues

I just got that album.

I DVRed this during the Olympics and watched it last night. Riveting stuff for blues fans.

https://www.pbs.org/video/buddy-guy-...s-away-j1nbxd/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I DVRed this during the Olympics and watched it last night. Riveting stuff for blues fans.

https://www.pbs.org/video/buddy-guy-...s-away-j1nbxd/
    I also DVR'd it and just watched it last week. Agree, very well done. It was cool that they interviewed some of the younger generation like Kingfish Ingram. He was my last concert before covid hit and the kid is the real deal.

Banned
    Ana Popović "Navajo Moon" live at the Melkweg Amsterdam 2005

Banned
    The above-mentioned Ana Popović (btw above video is from her best phase imho) who is one of the most renowned blues-rock guitarists of today's female musicians, was introduced to the blues by her father who was a bass guitar player in Serbia, but the only real guitar-school she attended as a kid were guitar lessons in the guitar-school of Smak lead-guitarist R.M.Točak.
    This live version of "Šumadijski blues" which featuring in the video is taken from "Smak in New York" the Belgrade television documentary from 1976 (featuring Smak at stage as well as a beautiful footage of the band as tourists at sun-drenched Manhattan). I think it's obvious who really influenced Ana's guitar sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Monet View Post
    Ana Popović "Navajo Moon" live at the Melkweg Amsterdam 2005

She played less than an hour from me last week, but unfortunately I had a conflict. I have only seen her live once, but she is great.

This is a recent release that I enjoy a lot:

https://robertfinley.bandcamp.com/al...recroppers-son

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    This is a recent release that I enjoy a lot:

https://robertfinley.bandcamp.com/al...recroppers-son
    Agree, a buddy of mine turned me on to this album. Good stuff!