Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Blues, anyone?

^And nor should they be, that's my point. They were recorded in mono and should be left like it.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^And nor should they be, that's my point. They were recorded in mono and should be left like it.
    I see your point now and heartily agree!
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Joe Bonamassa. Any friends or foes here?

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    Meh. More hype than anything. I am sure in a few years he'll appear on the Home Shopping Network selling a "How to Play the Blues" video course, complete with a "real" Squire Strat and dark sunglasses.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Meh. More hype than anything. I am sure in a few years he'll appear on the Home Shopping Network selling a "How to Play the Blues" video course, complete with a "real" Squire Strat and dark sunglasses.
    I agree with your "meh", but his voice does remind me of Paul Rogers'. I wish he had the playing and songs to go with it.

I like him. I've seen him five times (including at a couple of small bars before anyone ever heard of him) and met him more than once. Really nice guy and genuinely humble. I do find him to be a part of the class of upper-middle-class-white-boy blues players, meaning there's a lack of heart and soul in his playing. He clearly hasn't lived the blues enough to feel and translate them into his playing. That being said, for what it is, he's a hell of a player and has shown an appreciation for prog. I've not heard his singing compared to Paul Rogers before, though. As much as I like Rogers (another really nice guy), he's no blues singer himself.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Here's the prog medley Bonamassa used to do. Apparently he opened for Tull early in his career and Ian Anderson was very generous in his advice to Joe and his band. So "A New Day Yesterday" was in his set for a long time

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Buddy Guy will be coming to Tempe soon...too bad it'll be at the goddamned Marquee, which offers no seating...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Huge fan here. I have all of his albums. Saw him in a club before he became big. Stood about two feet from the stage and though he was amazing.

There's a programed, algorithmic, paint-by-numbers quality to Bonamassa's playing that leaves me unmoved and unconvinced. He can play. But there's no there there.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Tommy Emmanuel, not the typical bluesguitarist, but here he shreds like Steve Ray on an acoustic:

https://youtu.be/ns2XTPKt9HY?t=3m58s

Split by Tony TS McPhee & the Groundhogs and Bridge of Sighs by Robin Trower & Jim Dewar. I chose these two albums because they are the best known and most accessible, there are others that are equally strong by both bands:

Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    Split by Tony TS McPhee & the Groundhogs and Bridge of Sighs by Robin Trower & Jim Dewar. I chose these two albums because they are the best known and most accessible, there are others that are equally strong by both bands:

+1.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Been a Groundhogs fan since the mid 80's, saw them live in Newcastle, superb band, just picked up that Robin Trower a month ago having heard it on gagliarchives and wondering why I'd never heard it before.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Some OZBlues for you

“Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Playing through various blues CDs of late. Most recent was Willie Dixon's I Am The Blues which I found many years ago for £1. The drumming is 'loose' to say the least and it's somewhat oddly mixed in places. However, there's considerable appeal in hearing the man who wrote all these songs perform them himself. I quite like its low-key nature...it's not like some of those all-star sessions with blues-rock musicians that were around at the time.

What's everyone else listening to?

The new Samantha Fish album is really good:

Not much these days. Once in a while I'll listen to Folk Singer by Muddy Waters, or the Bobby Blue Bland Anthology. Or some Robben Ford. That's about it.

Saw this young band open for Bob Seger back in the winter and have been really getting into them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Tommy Emmanuel, not the typical bluesguitarist, but here he shreds like Steve Ray on an acoustic:

https://youtu.be/ns2XTPKt9HY?t=3m58s
    I actually had tickets to see Emmanuel this evening, but apparently he is ill and has postponed his whole tour.

Playing through various blues CDs of late. Most recent was Willie Dixon's I Am The Blues which I found many years ago for £1. The drumming is 'loose' to say the least and it's somewhat oddly mixed in places. However, there's considerable appeal in hearing the man who wrote all these songs perform them himself. I quite like its low-key nature...it's not like some of those all-star sessions with blues-rock musicians that were around at the time.

Funny you should mention "I Am The Blues". Was just listening to that in the car. One would think titling an album "I Am The Blues" is conceited, until you hear song after song of classics penned by Willie (as well as laying down the bass lines for the likes of Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf who covered his tunes originally). An understated but brilliant album.

Also listening to Rory Gallagher's "Calling Card", Fleetwood Mac's "Then Play On", and Hound Dog Taylor & The Houserockers' "Beware of the Dog" (one of the great raw and wriggling live blues albums)....

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Mountain Live at the Fillmore New Years Eve 1970.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Magic Sam - West Side Soul

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Magic Sam - West Side Soul
    I need to get that album. It was his version of Sweet Home Chicago that the Blues Brothers emulated.