Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Blues, anyone?

Notta huge Blues fan, but still love me some Rory Gallagher, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, TYA, Savoy Brown stuff....

I finally got a "Kingfish" Ingram CD, the 662. In addition to the seriously impressive guitar chops, he's got a great voice. On slower numbers, he's reminiscent of Bobby Bland. His tones are fantastic, whether playing in overdrive or clean.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I finally got a "Kingfish" Ingram CD, the 662. In addition to the seriously impressive guitar chops, he's got a great voice. On slower numbers, he's reminiscent of Bobby Bland. His tones are fantastic, whether playing in overdrive or clean.
    If you ever get the chance you need to see him live. This kid is the future of the blues. I have seen him 3 times and he is always amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    If you ever get the chance you need to see him live. This kid is the future of the blues. I have seen him 3 times and he is always amazing.
    I just checked a live track on YT. He looks like the real deal.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I just checked a live track on YT. He looks like the real deal.
    The kid is only 23 too.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Steve, where have you seen him? And does anyone know what the Grammy award is that he won? He's pretty damn good!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Steve, where have you seen him? And does anyone know what the Grammy award is that he won? He's pretty damn good!
    The first time I saw him was opening for Buddy Guy at Buddy's club in Chicago several years ago. Kingfish is yet another young artist that Buddy has helped guide their career to an extent. I then saw Kingfish as a headliner in a club in Grand Rapids Michigan just before COVID shut everything down in 2020. I saw him again back in March at a theater in Detroit. We had great 3rd show seats and were right up close. He plays bigger places every time I have seen him and just seems to be getting more popular.

He won the Grammy this year for Best Contemporary Blues Album for his latest "662" which is an excellent record. His first album "Kingfish" won album of the year at The Blues Music Awards in 2020. The BMA's are basically the Grammy's of the Blues.

Kingfish is amazing!

Have you all been listening to Larkin Poe? Rebecca & Megan Lovell are building a great fan base & their YouTube channel is a blast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    Kingfish is amazing!

Have you all been listening to Larkin Poe? Rebecca & Megan Lovell are building a great fan base & their YouTube channel is a blast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pretty sure I posted about them earlier in this thread, but I am a big fan. I saw them open for Bob Seger a few years ago and they were fantastic. I don't have all of their albums, but have several and they are very good.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic
    Joanne Shaw Taylor anyone?
    Not sure why it took me so long to find out about her. Certainly have to make up the lost time of getting to know her music /albums. Seems she went a quite long way up there, from humble beginnings to a "stardom." Already read some reviews comparing early and recent albums and a lot them were in favor of the early ones.
    Took me a long time, too. Just a week or two ago I spotted her recent album, "Reckless Heart" (2019) in a thrift store and since it looked like blues and I had nothing yet by her, I picked it up. It's been sitting on my desk since, but at your reminder (thanks), I'm playing it now. So far, so good. May have to explore her back catalog.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Discovered this recording yesterday. I've always liked the song and this features a really great vocal and arrangement. Recorded in the late 70s.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Took me a long time, too. Just a week or two ago I spotted her recent album, "Reckless Heart" (2019) in a thrift store and since it looked like blues and I had nothing yet by her, I picked it up. It's been sitting on my desk since, but at your reminder (thanks), I'm playing it now. So far, so good. May have to explore her back catalog.
    She actually has another album since that one called "The Blues Album" produced by Joe Bonamassa that came out last year. It is very good. She also has a brand new live album out called "Blues From The Heart", but I have not picked that one up yet.

My favorite from her is "Always Almost Never" from 2012, but all of her albums are good. Go see her live if you ever get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    You are most welcome

Most, if not all, of her albums are waiting their turn to be listened to. Finding so much good music out there, that it is hard to find the time to properly listen to them. Now turning my attention to Christone "Kingfish" Ingram. Saw some video clips with him on YT and really like them. Thanks guys for posting about him.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

I read about this guy, J D Simo, in Vintage Guitar. If you have a hankering for some rough, sleazy blues rock you might get that itch scratched here.

https://jdsimo.bandcamp.com/album/mind-control-2
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Recently saw a good blues band: the Danielle Nicole Band. Danielle was in a band (may still be, for all I know) called Trampled Under Foot. Now she is touring and recording with her own blues trio (guitar, bass, drums). She hails from Kansas City, plays electric bass guitar, and has an excellent strong, bluesy voice. The band mostly played originals when I saw them. One notable cover was Led Zeppelin's No Quarter. Anyway, here is a fairly recent video so you can get an idea what they sound like.

We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Ann Wilson has covered Bridge of Sighs in an album she has released a few months ago:

https://youtu.be/afNUiifM2lA

P.S. The album's front cover looks like a Yes album cover.

Some sad blues news here. From Kim Simmonds Facebook page. I'm pulling for him to somehow beat this.

GIGS, HEALTH AND NEW ALBUM
    Hi,
    I’ve had to cancel the remaining gigs for this year so I think this is a good time to let everyone know what is going on.
    For close to a year now, I’ve been battling stage 4 colon cancer. I was diagnosed with “signet cell” colon cancer (SCCC). It’s a very rare form that accounts for no more than 1% of cases. SCCC is rarely found early enough to provide a chance for cure.
    I’ve been receiving chemotherapy and that has made it hard for me to play gigs. One of the side effects is peripheral neuropathy which has now deadened the nerves in my fingers and hands (feet too).
    Chemotherapy has been an ongoing reality in my life since the first diagnosis and surgery last September. It has kept me going with a decent quality of life. I’m very grateful for that and all the superb health care I’ve received locally as well as the unending support of my wife, family and friends.
    Luckily there is a new album coming out in a few months' time that I was able to finish back in the spring. Some of the tracks were “in the bag” prior to my illness. I also switched to slide guitar on others which made it easier to play with my current condition. I’m super happy with all the songs and I believe you will be too upon listening.
    My days of playing live are limited going forward but I have the new album coming out and I have also many more songs in the studio files that I intend to release as time evolves.
    I’m sorry I won’t be seeing any of you live on stage this year but, in the meantime, there are plenty of YouTube performances from through the years for everyone to watch.
    Good luck to you all and best wishes,
    Kim Simmonds
    NY August 2022

^^ Bummer.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I like the title of the new Larkin Poe single: "Georgia Off My Mind" Ha-ha! Pretty good song, too.

Also, I don't think I ever mentioned this, but I listened to their covers album a couple of times, and it's a lot better than many other covers albums I've heard. To answer Jerol's question posed in that other thread, I prefer covers that do something differently than the original did. I have no use for direct covers, except seeing a band like The Musical Box where they're trying to recreate a concert experience, or the Classic Albums Live people, where you can hear something very close to listening to an album like DSOTM but in a concert hall.

I really like Larkin Poe's version of Crocodile Rock, with that sort of mournful slide guitar.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 08-26-2022 at 08:59 PM.

Anyone take the plunge on this set yet?

https://www.npr.org/sections/world-c...he-moon-albums

I'm tempted. The mid-tempo groove of TT doesn't always work for me, Derek's solo stuff was much more dynamic. But this has some great hooks and of course, the playing is tremendous.

I'm tempted. The mid-tempo groove of TT doesn't always work for me, Derek's solo stuff was much more dynamic. But this has some great hooks and of course, the playing is tremendous.
    I bought the set, but haven’t sat down and given it a close listen.
    I did work the recent Tedeschi Trucks Band concert at White River Amphitheater in Auburn Washington. Great show!

I can't explain why, but this band does nothing for me. I have tried several of their albums including their live one and it just does not click for some reason. They are great musicians, but.......

The Johnny Winter Experience

Mike Harris - Scott Curtis - Mark Denney

Paladinos LA CA 7-3-02