Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Blues, anyone?

I love Bo Diddley too, and Hendrix, but my first thoughts on blues are those I mentioned. SRV was great but a little goes a long way. Chris Duarte is very hit and miss for me, but when he hits, he hits big. I like George Thorogood - my favorite album his still his first one but I have several. I need to explore Johnny Winter more. I like Rory Gallagher. one of my favorite bands of all time is The Doors and they did some fantastic blues jams; they have to be heard live to really be appreciated, and I have nearly every bootleg as well as the Bright Midnight stuff. Love early Stones. I suspect there are a lot of modern blues players I'd dig, but there are probably so many of them I'd never get around to all of it.

Earl Hooker.Nuff' said.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Jimmy Agren Band

Has Steven Wilson been mentioned yet?

or Phil Collins?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    or Phil Collins?
    or Pink Floyd?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    How about Alvin Lee (this one is a favorite epic):

And speaking of epic:

This is too weird...When I was in High school and just learning GTR, a classmate lent me three albums all at once, the two shown above and Inner Mounting Flame. All 3 became beloved treasures for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I never cared much for that early acoustic stuff, but I've fallen in love with several electric women:
    • *Debbie Davies
      *Susan Tedeschi
      *Shannon Curfman
      *Gina Sicilia
      *Laurie Morvan
      *Angela Strehli
      *Fiona Boyes
      *Deborah Coleman
      *Joanne Shaw
      *Joanna Connor
      *Teresa James
      *Ana Popovic
      *Janiva Magness
    Lots of good ones there. Are you familiar with Samantha Fish?

How about Deanna Bogart?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Are you familiar with Samantha Fish?
    Nice. What kinda amp is she using?

I think one of today's finest blue singers is Susan Tedeschi.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm curious if anyone here ever heard of the band Queen Bee and the Blue Hornet Band. They were a blues band that came together at Penn State's main campus in the early 80s and were regulars on the bar scene there right about the time I turned 21. They eventually got big enough to tour throughout Pennsylvania and into other northeastern states. They even released about half a dozen albums. Sometime in the early 90s they disbanded because some of the band members didn't want to tour any more. After a final farewell concert they went their separate ways and sadly the lead singer, Tonya Brown, died very unexpectedly just a few months later.

One of the best live bands I've ever seen (assuming you like the blues). Band leader Mark Ross was a fantastic guitarist, and they always had a great rhythm section. The band always included a saxophone player too, but it seemed like every time I saw them it was a different guy. They just couldn't keep a sax player for some reason. At one show they announced that their sax player had just been deported to Canada.

Just wondering if there are any other Queen Bee fans out there. It's a long shot, I know.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I was fortunate to see Maggie Mayall & The Cadillacs twice in the mid 1980s. An all-female blues band led by John Mayall's then-wife and featuring Debbie Davies on guitar. First time, Richard Berry (the late composer of "Louie Louie") was in the audience, and he got onstage and sang that song with the band. Also in the audience was husband John Mayall; he got up and did "Room To Move" with the band. The band's own set was some excellent blues. The band gave us tickets to their next performance at a larger venue. The James Harman Blues Band was headliner at that next performance.
    Missed Debbie when she was in Albert Collins' band, but saw her a few times solo in the 90's when I lived outside of West Palm Beach. Her criminally-underattended show at the Musician's Exchange in Ft. Lauderdale promoting "Picture This" was a killer performance, particularly for Elmore James' "The Sky Is Crying"... *shwing*

Honorable mention: Tinsley Ellis and Coco Montoya...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Good lord! She appears to be a MAJOR hole in my collection -- thanks!!
    Yeah, but it is live where Carolyn Wonderland shines. Her Feb 13, 2010 gig at Antone's in Austin I pasted a track from is hair-raising and should be officially released. Or just any other from 2009-2010 period when she toured to support her "Miss Understood" (2008) album. It was her peak IMO and she was absolutely on fire.

In 2011 she released next studio album "Peace Meal" and started to tone down introducing more stylistic variety, but she was still able to deliver it on stage:

https://archive.org/details/CarolynW...yNV29-MAY-2011

Last two-three years have not been that great, and I am afraid her first official live CD "Live Texas Trio" released last year is a kind of confirmation of it. It is still decent playing, but for me something is missing.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 02-11-2016 at 06:32 PM.

For modern day acoustic, I'll go with cranky old Ry Cooder with his solo album Down At The Field recorded in 1974. Saw SRV live in 1983 and 1984. No one else comes close in electric.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Missed Debbie when she was in Albert Collins' band,
    I recorded an Albert Collins show when she was in his band. A really good recording that is uncirculated. She played a few songs and then they brought Albert out.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    Saw SRV live in 1983 and 1984. No one else comes close in electric.
    I can think of more than a few.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    Do you dig the Blues? Blind Lemon Jefferson to Stevie Ray Vaughan. Who do you love?
    Nope. Not for me.

While I can attempt to empathize (and surely not get close) with the original conditions from which they arose, the Blues never did a thing for me.

Culturally speaking, they have a lot to say. No argument there.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Some faves:

Freddie King
    Albert King
    Albert Collins
    Son House
    Skip James
    Blind Willie Johnson
    Elvie Thomas
    Geeshie Wiley
    ZZ Hill
    Otis Rush
    Magic Sam
    Luther Allison
    Jimmy Reed
    Earl Hooker
    Johnny Winter
    Butter
    Sonny Boy Williamson (aka Rice Miller)
    John Mayall - Bare Wires; Blues From Laurel Canyon; The Turning Point
    Last edited by mogrooves; 02-11-2016 at 04:59 PM.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Johnny Winter - Memory Pain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXPbNxdox3g

Johnny Winter - I Love Everybody https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7SezI3PgTI

Apart from Carolyn Wonderland the other guitarist that has made a great impression on me in recent years is Gary Clark Jr. And again his studio albums hardly represent the colourful, slightly psychedelic blues-rock he delivers on stage.

His live album is simply terrific, one of the best live records of this decade.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/live-mw0002718766

Last edited by Jay.Dee; 02-11-2016 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post

John Mayall - The Turning Point
    Good call.Great album.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Here's slide guitar monster Sonny Landreth. (that long-haired kid playing with him ain't too bad either )

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Johnny Winter - Memory Pain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXPbNxdox3g

Johnny Winter - I Love Everybody https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7SezI3PgTI
    FUCK YEAH! Always my go-to album of Johnny's, although they're all great, except for one of them that should never have seen the light of day.

Can't forget "I Hate Everybody," either.

Nice. What kinda amp is she using?
    I have no clue. I have had tickets to see her live twice and both times I have situations come up where I could not go. Love her studio albums though, and everyone I know who has seen her live says she is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I think one of today's finest blue singers is Susan Tedeschi.
    Tedeschi has an incredible voice, but something about the Tedeschi / Trucks band kind of leaves me cold. Trucks is a great player as is the rest of the band, but I have tried several of their albums and had a hard time getting into them for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Missed Debbie when she was in Albert Collins' band, but saw her a few times solo in the 90's when I lived outside of West Palm Beach. Her criminally-underattended show at the Musician's Exchange in Ft. Lauderdale promoting "Picture This" was a killer performance, particularly for Elmore James' "The Sky Is Crying"... *shwing*

Honorable mention: Tinsley Ellis and Coco Montoya...
    I have seen Debbie Davies, Tinsley Ellis and Coco Montoya live several times. My favorite by far of the bunch is Montoya. The other two are great, but I tend to like Montoya’s guitar style and songwriting a bit better for some reason.