Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: U.K. 16 Disc Collectors Edition coming in April 2016.

U.K. 16 Disc Collectors Edition coming in April 2016.

U.K. Ultimate Collector's Edition Box set
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BHFPUT2/?tag=imwan-20

This is not at all overkill. Nope. Nope, nope, nope

You have to give Jobson some credit for being able to churn out new "product" from a band that was together for only about three years and only released two studio albums.

I like it. Maybe gonna have to..

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I will probably get this as I have never actually listened to Danger Money (gasp!).

But THE FRIGGIN' fixed version of the live UKZ album had better be included!!! You promised it, you bastard!

Oh, I'm sure for non Zealot's Lounge members the price will be $200.

$169..wow...too rich for my blood.. (Amazon price per the link on OP)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    $169..wow...too rich for my blood.. (Amazon price per the link on OP)
    That IS a crazy-ass price, it's true! But for 16 CDs it's maybe not so bad.

I'll hold out for the 50th anniversary 25 disc ultimate remastered set

I'm interested. But...

UK s/t + DM = 2
    NaN expanded = 2 This sounds like the highlight of the whole thing!
    Reunion = 2
    Bootlegs = 4

Total = 10, not 12. What am I missing?

Blu-Ray hi res 96/24 of the two studio albums and two live albums

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Total = 10, not 12. What am I missing?
    1 CD of interviews
    1 CD of extras and out-takes

BTW, I believe there is a limited time offer of $120 on the Zealot's Lounge and $95 for members.

I think he's been chatting with Fripp.

They only ever made 2 albums or 3 if you include the live one. Absurd.

Uh how bootleg is bootleg? I refuse to pay big money for crappy recordings for the additional live stuff from the 70s . Now if these were radio broadcasts or something, I presume the Fidelity and sound would be better. But if these are some idiots bootlegging the shows with crappy 70s technology on a cassette That the band obtained and subsequently digitized, that would be horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    King Crimson only made one and a second of leftovers. Everything after that has been the Robert Fripp Band.

Jethro Tull only made two prog albums.

And, Genesis ...

didn't make any.

Here's a link to an interview with Eddie Jobson discussing the upcoming U.K. Box Set.
    http://www.zealotslounge.com/abbey-r...aming-s3ms-349

I don't think the price is unreasonable for the overall volume of material. I seem to recall paying as much or more for the recent runs of KC boxes (each of which was ultimately centered around a single album but expanded with bootlegs, etc.).

The main question for me will be the sound quality. I have not been a fan of the mastering work done previously - for example, the UK Reunion live DVD. But, perhaps things will be better this time around.

Regardless, I hope the set is a success for him.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I'd be interested in an expanded version of the live album.. but not the rest..

For the amount of music I'd say this is well worth the price. Two things keeping me from grabbing it though. First, I would have thought there might be a live DVD concert included. Reunion, or what have you. Some live video footage. Also the fact that unlike Crimson, I don't find much difference between takes on their live material. All those live shows are cool to have, and I haven't heard all of them, but aside from Holdsworth, the versions are pretty much the same always. That's cool - Rush does that too, but with only 2 albums of material I would need differences in the songs to make it worthwhile to me, and by differences I don't mean Wetton singing the wrong words.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

The store I use offers a 17 disk for € 239.00
    I'm sorry, but unless I really win the jackpot in a lottery, I pass. I already have their albums and an unofficial live in America release.

I hate to add insult to injury, but if people who are really interested in this box-set had really payed more attention they could have ordered it for $ 75 in July last year, even without becoming a Zealots-member.
    At that moment it was "only" a 6 to 8 disc-set, but that expanded quickly.

Jobson looked at the possibility to produce a 5.1 mix from the two studio-albums, but that doesn't seem to have worked out.

Jimi Hendrix only recorded 3 albums during his life (and one official live). His complete discography is very likely over 100+ if we include all the bootlegs, extra takes and forgotten demo tapes,etc... And then ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Jimi Hendrix only recorded 3 albums during his life (and one official live). His complete discography is very likely over 100+ if we include all the bootlegs, extra takes and forgotten demo tapes,etc... And then ?
    Yes, but this set includes nothing nearly as interesting as what was in Jimi's vaults.

The fact remains that there are two studio albums (plus an essentially unrelated EP 20+ years later), a single official live album from the original band's run (apparently capable of being expanded), and a poorly recorded/mixed Jobson/Wetton reunion album. The only truly interesting things not released during the original '70s run were the live versions of some of the Danger Money songs played on the first tour with Bruford/Holdsworth. Other than that, it's simply 50 mostly similar flavors of the same material.

^ King Crimson and others have shown the way. Buy 'em or don't, but these super-duper-multi-disc releases are the future of prog.

I love UK, but I can't see myself buying this. I do think the live UK shows are great and worth getting: the Penn's Landing show has been on boots for years and is fantastic and I love the Boston show (released as Concert Classics, Vol. 4, then as Live in Boston and then Live in America) too. The 'Extras' disc might be interesting too. So that's about 6 discs of this I'm interested in... but not so much the rest at that price.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/