Thread: Nearfest/Rob LaDuca SPAM email..??

Nearfest/Rob LaDuca SPAM email..??

I was active on the Nearfest forum and definitely had an email conversation or two with Rob..

Received an email in my SPAM box with his name in the subject..Of course I didn't open it and when I went to block and delete it, this came up..nearfest1@icpnet.pl

Anyone else get this?

That's the NEARfest resurrection email.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    He's on FB if you want to message him
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This means NEARfest 2017 is a lock. Hurrah!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    This means NEARfest 2017 is a lock. Hurrah!
    Nearfest! ? Oh if this happens, wow! I'll go for sure! I doubt it tho' because Kevin Feeley one of the 3 main organizers would have atleast mentioned it to me, I hope

I got an email from Rob. We used to email many moons ago. I think the subject was: "Important Message". It's a phishing scam that's going around where they spoof the sender. A friend of mine texted me that he got a similar email addressed from me. Eventually, the global email system will be full of these damned things. Just delete them.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

sorry about the spam. I have changed the password for the old NF account.

Ther are some rumours about FARFEST resurrected.......

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I'll see it when I believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    You mean the *idea* of Farfest was resurrected?

there is no market (outside of 250 or so diehards) for a festival solely comprised of legacy/reunited 1970s era foreign symphonic rock bands like Mezquita or Alphataurus

Quote Originally Posted by nearfest View Post
    there is no market (outside of 250 or so diehards) for a festival solely comprised of legacy/reunited 1970s era foreign symphonic rock bands like Mezquita or Alphataurus
    What if there were promises of free beer?

I was told there would be pie and punch?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

If you wait another year or two, you can have it in Canada where pot will be legal by then.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by nearfest View Post
    So they just have to charge those 250 people a thousand bucks each for tickets and it would work, right?

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    So they just have to charge those 250 people a thousand bucks each for tickets and it would work, right?
    I would have gone if it weren't for the timing-they decided to schedule it the same year as NF's last show and in October.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    A grand is probably steep, but I'd have paid a lot more than I did for my FarFest ticket.

Bill

I bought a FARfest ticket and reserved a hotel room as well. I wonder how successful it would have been
    if they waited until the following year and had it when people would have been missing NEARfest in late June?

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    I wonder how successful it would have been
    if they waited until the following year and had it when people would have been missing NEARfest in late June?
    In my guessitimation (and that's all it is at this point - it's conjecture). They would have had another 200-300 people
    1. IF they had done advertising for the event in Prog (which iirc, they didn't do until it was way too late and they were already 9/10ths of the way to pulling the plug)

2. IF they hadn't done it on the same year as the last NEARFest.

That's still, at best, only 650 tickets out of a venue meant to hold 1200, iirc...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    In my guessitimation (and that's all it is at this point - it's conjecture). They would have had another 200-300 people
    1. IF they had done advertising for the event in Prog (which iirc, they didn't do until it was way too late and they were already 9/10ths of the way to pulling the plug)

2. IF they hadn't done it on the same year as the last NEARFest.

That's still, at best, only 650 tickets out of a venue meant to hold 1200, iirc...
    I think I mentioned what they could have done to be more successful IMO:
    1. Opened up the bands to not just reunited 60's, 70's and 80's acts. I think limiting it to older bands limits the audience and sets a shelf life on the festival.
    2. Shorten the festival in the beginning. I think more than three days in a new festival is too much of a commitment to expect the audience to take. Lengthen it as demand dictates later.
    3. Move the date to no later than early September. It's easier for festival goers to attend when they have a summer with kids off or lower demands at work. October would be nice, but you are starting to bump up on people starting their holiday shopping and preparing for holiday get together a and with kids in school.
    4. As others said, use a smaller venue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"