Thread: Saw Umphrey's McGee Saturday Night

Saw Umphrey's McGee Saturday Night

Saw Umphrey’s McGee with Special guest Joshua Redman and opening act Tauk Saturday night at Wings Stadium in Kalamazoo MI.

Tauk opened things up and I was pretty impressed. I guess I would describe their music as jam band, but they certainly have a proggy side to them and also throw in some funk and jazz leaning from time to time. They did a solid hour set and I really enjoyed them.

As usual Umphrey’s put on another killer show. They did two 90 minute sets with about a half hour intermission. Saxophonist Joshua Redman was their special guest and he played several tunes during each set. I was not familiar with him, but the guy was an amazing player. As always the band was tight as nails and they did a nice varied set list. With Redman in tow, they emphasized their jazz / fusion side a bit more than I have seen in the past and even got into what I would call space rock. At one point I was thinking that if I closed my eyes what I was hearing could have easily been mistaken for Hawkwind. Umphrey’s always does a few covers and did a really cool version of The Police “When The World Is Running Down….” with Redmond doing an incredible sax solo towards the end. They also threw in instrumental snippets of YYZ and Sprit Of Radio from Rush. For their second encore they did a great version of Bob Seeger’s “Hollywood Nights” with Jake Cinniger on vocals. Since Bob Seger is practically god in Michigan, the crowd at it up. Every time I see this band it is a different experience and I just totally dig what they do. This show was no exception. Here is the set list:

BATHING DIGETS
    MISS TINKLE’S OVERTURE
    DIVISIONS
    LOOSE ENDS
    BELIEVE THE LIE (with Joshua Redman)
    BAD FRIDAY (with Joshua Redman)
    WIZARD BURIAL GROUND

INTERMISSION

DER BLUTEN KAT (with Joshua Redman)
    AMBLE ON (with Joshua Redman)
    WHEN THE WORLD IS RUNNING DOWN (Police cover with Joshua Redman)
    40’S THEME
    ALL IN TIME
    GRAVITY’S REAL (Including instrumental snippets of YYZ and Spirit Of Radio from Rush)

ENCORE:

PUPPET STRINGS
    HOLLYWOOD NIGHTS (Bob Seger cover)

Glad you enjoyed TAUK, I think they are excellent. Good to see that UM are still going strong. They haven't passed through Toronto in a few years now.

neil

I've seen them five times, loved them three of those times, the other two, not so much. Them's the breaks with jam bands! They'll be here in Los Angeles at the end of March, can't wait to hear what they're up to these days (missed them last time around). I'm still chasing Front Porch, but it's a rarity.
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Glad you enjoyed TAUK, I think they are excellent. Good to see that UM are still going strong. They haven't passed through Toronto in a few years now.

neil
    I am pretty lucky when it comes to UM as they typically play Kalamazoo or Grand Rapids (about 45 minutes from me) at least once, and usually twice per year. Tauk is playing a headline show at a club in Grand Rapids in April that I may go up and check out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    I've seen them five times, loved them three of those times, the other two, not so much. Them's the breaks with jam bands! They'll be here in Los Angeles at the end of March, can't wait to hear what they're up to these days (missed them last time around). I'm still chasing Front Porch, but it's a rarity.
    Yup, every show is different and you never know exactly what you are going to get.

Their last two albums and the london Sessions have been progressively more heavy and prog so i can't wait to see them live again. I've seen them 4 times with the last show early last year being the best and the heaviest. they did killer covers of Eminence front and I am the walrus that night. Puppet strings is so awesome live too.

Quote Originally Posted by YESHEAD777 View Post
    Their last two albums and the london Sessions have been progressively more heavy and prog so i can't wait to see them live again. I've seen them 4 times with the last show early last year being the best and the heaviest. they did killer covers of Eminence front and I am the walrus that night. Puppet strings is so awesome live too.
    When I saw them outdoors last summer the 2nd set of the show was very heavy, in fact it was like being at a metal show for the most part. I totally dug it. This show was not nearly as heavy overall, but they did kick it out here and there. Also agree about Puppet Strings. I know some people don’t care for it due to the somewhat religious oriented lyrics, but I think it is one of their best live tunes.

Man, I am so happy for those that are digging Similar Skin. I just cannot get into that record. I have liked every album a whole lot, going back to Local Band Does OK, but that latest studio effort left me completely cold. I barely made it through three spins. It must be me, since other UM fans seem to be liking it, which is a good thing.

neil

Man, I am so happy for those that are digging Similar Skin. I just cannot get into that record. I have liked every album a whole lot, going back to Local Band Does OK, but that latest studio effort left me completely cold. I barely made it through three spins. It must be me, since other UM fans seem to be liking it, which is a good thing.

neil
    It had to grow on me a bit, but I like it a lot. Not quite on the same level as Mantis for me, but still a solid effort.

Local Band Does OK is a great album; for me, so are Anchor Drops and Mantis. But there's no question that Death By Stereo was a big wobble and they haven't quite pulled it back with Similar Skin & Abbey Road. Still, they're a band that is all about the live experience so the fact that their albums are grouping on the 3-4 star rating out of 5 is maybe not the worry that it would be with a more studio-bound group.

Glad to hear it was a great show! Joshua Redman is very well known in jazz circles. It is cool that UM plays with many different types of musicians. I've enjoyed the UM shows I've seen (especially the one with Adrian Belew!), but the one thing that bothers me is the continuous playing - no break between songs. That is my problem, not the band's, but I would enjoy it more with some breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    Glad to hear it was a great show! Joshua Redman is very well known in jazz circles. It is cool that UM plays with many different types of musicians. I've enjoyed the UM shows I've seen (especially the one with Adrian Belew!), but the one thing that bothers me is the continuous playing - no break between songs. That is my problem, not the band's, but I would enjoy it more with some breaks.
    True, they don't break things up much between songs although they did talk a bit. Bassist Ryan Stasik is from Kalamazoo so he told a pretty cool story about when he used to play hockey in the same stadium when he was in high school and also about he and Jake going to concerts at the venue. Regardin Redman, yea he was incredible. I have checked out some of his stuff online since the show and yes he does seem to be well regarded in the jazz world.

Wizard Burial Ground was such a treat both times I was lucky enough to see them play it.

Joshua Redman is Dewey Redman's son. He is a tremendous player, imo. I particularly liked his "Elastic Band" of the early 2000s; which was a trio with Sam Yahel (organ, Rhodes) and Brian Blade (drums). Check out albums like "Elastic", "Momentum", or anything released under the name "YaYa3". I believe he reverted back to playing a more traditional modal jazz of late but I haven't followed his career in the last decade.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I've seen them twice and enjoyed immensely.

My son told me they are playing Riverbend in Chattanooga in June and might as well go for a soda and make the trip.

Check this out. At 3:24, drummer Kris Meyers is playing a fast fill on Rocker Pt. 2, and his left stick gets caught between the rack toms! Funny. And here I thought I was the only one who did that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAs4PsRYd58

I don't think McGee should be walking around with his Umphrey showing like that. It's just inconsiderate!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

What's the date for the Tauk show in GR?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffworman View Post
    What's the date for the Tauk show in GR?
    It is tomorrow night.