Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Holy Mother Of God

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.
    If you're arguing, we must have paid. HA! Got you.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    If you're arguing, we must have paid. HA! Got you.
    Not necessarily. I could be arguing in my spare time.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned

Holy Mother Of God

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    Arguably the most essential album of the post-Gabriel Genesis, A Trick of the Tail was released in February 1976 ... 40 years ago this month.

This album proved to the fans (and the band themselves) that not only could they carry on without their charismatic front man, but that they could achieve international success that had previously eluded them.

Maybe Genesis should hand over the archived multichannel files to Steven Wilson and have him do a Bluray with 5.1, new stereo, a needle drop on Mobile Fidelity vinyl, and direct transfer of the original master. All with no added compression l. Thus kickin Nick in the balls.

The album that made me a Genesis fan! And easily the greatest non-Gabriel Genesis album.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Listening to disk 2 of Seconds Out right now. Holy Mother of Christ.
    👍🏽

Listening to disk 2 of Seconds Out right now. Holy Mother of Christ.
    Makes more sense since Christ had a mother, God obviously did not. Disc 2 is a pretty darn good selection of music. (Though I do prefer the studio 'Cinema Show'. No oboe, no 'Cinema Show' and all )

Just wish on the W&W tour they would have played 'Mad Man Moon', 'Ripples' or 'Entangled' instead of 'Squonk', but I suppose that's splitting hairs. Kind of...

I bought Seconds Out just to have a live version of Supper's Ready. It's not better than the studio version but it is very good. I also like how they combine Volcano and Endos.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Just wish on the W&W tour they would have played 'Mad Man Moon', 'Ripples' or 'Entangled' instead of 'Squonk', but I suppose that's splitting hairs. Kind of...
    I find "Squonk" to be a pretty solid live number... they did do "Entangled" on the Trick tour, so it could have been included on Seconds Out, although I don't think the band were ever happy with how it went down live. I tend to agree. It's one of my favourite songs they ever did, but it really is a studio piece IMO. "Ripples" of course wasn't played until '78, sadly. And "Mad Man Moon" never.

I bought Seconds Out just to have a live version of Supper's Ready. It's not better than the studio version but it is very good.
    Some would disagree. I've often heard over the years people describe it as the 'definitive' version. I'm not sure which one I like best, having heard so many of them in my years of collecting live shows... probably an early performance of it though, as it had more fire. I never liked how they slowed the tempo of the end section in later years ('77, '82, '86)...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***