Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whither Cryptic Vision?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Whither Cryptic Vision?

For some reason the thread I started about the ProgRock Records label and its roster of bands was locked (I have no idea why as no explanation was given. Very mysterious as the thread about the much more controversial Gong reissues has been left alone), and one of the things I asked in the thread was if anyone knew if the band Cryptic Vision was still active. I bought their 4-CD boxed set from ProgRock Records, and really enjoy it, but those albums are from 2005-2011. I can't recall if anyone from the band was active on PE, or if it was only people from the PRR label who were on here, so I'm not sure if there are any band members lurking about who might know.

I can't speak for the band but they have been inactive since the box set was released. Not sure what their future plans are. I see the bass player on Facebook but haven't heard if they are going to do anything new or not.

Did they release anything before those three albums? Also, did they play any festivals?

They did play one of the early ROSfests (maybe 2005?). We had talks with them regarding ProgDay at some point back in the 00’s, but it did not work out. I always dug them, but have not heard much about them recently.

^ I was thinking they would have been a good band for the first slot on Saturday at ProgDay.

That PRR thread was very informative. We have a lot of artists here with some amazing insight to what actually goes on in their world, as well as fantastic advice for the rest of us who are creating & want our music to be heard. Shame it had to be locked down.
    As far as Cryptic goes, maybe Rick Duncan (CrypticRick) will chime in about this. He is currently drumming for a band called Echo Matrix. Here is a quote from FB from Todd Plant of CV about the end of the band:

J Todd Plant: It would take a miracle to get us to re-form, rehearse and play another show. Sorry folks but the era is over. Long live CV!

I saw Cryptic Vision at ROSfest.

Their music was good - but what impressed me immensely was their performances. Truly brilliant performers, IMO. I got the impression that these guys had the flexibility to do very well in any genre.
    Regards,

Duncan

Sometimes on the albums they break into really cool, distorted Hammond organ parts, which is really unusual for neoprog (or close to neoprog), IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Sometimes on the albums they break into really cool, distorted Hammond organ parts, which is really unusual for neoprog (or close to neoprog), IMO.
    One of the best Prog tracks from the past 10 years is "In A World". What is even more incredible is the fact that many of my Prog friends agree that the demo version of the song is superior to the one on the album. It certainly is sad that they no longer exist as a band.

Wow, I'll have to listen to that song again. And I actually haven't listened to the bonus disk yet, so I'll do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    One of the best Prog tracks from the past 10 years is "In A World". What is even more incredible is the fact that many of my Prog friends agree that the demo version of the song is superior to the one on the album. It certainly is sad that they no longer exist as a band.
    I think I still have that demo version. I remember at one of the ROSFests PRR was giving out promo CDs of theirs. I remember enjoying it.

BTW, the Youtube says that they played CalProg in 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
    BTW, the Youtube says that they played CalProg in 2006.
    Yup, I saw that show. And their performance was the highlight of the festival and the reason I went that year. Shame they didn't play more shows. I agree with the earlier comment about being talented musicians. Rather than one cover (a fun CalProg tradition by each band) they created their own medley of songs titled Progledy. There are a few live songs released on official CalProg bootleg CDs (Moments of Clarity, Power To Mend and Progledy 2006). See http://calprog.com/

Ive enjoyed Moment of Clarity over the years. What do you think is meant by "That era is over"? Thats not a knock on prog music is it? I was enjoying the thread as well. Oh well, I think Shawn still has some friends here and stopped the flaming.

CV was a real up and coming thing a while back. I dont suppose that box set is still available is it? Was Moment of Clarity included?

...Of course, I would want to pick it up from an unspoiled source.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Ive enjoyed Moment of Clarity over the years. What do you think is meant by "That era is over"? Thats not a knock on prog music is it? I was enjoying the thread as well. Oh well, I think Shawn still has some friends here and stopped the flaming.
    That is not what happened - I assure you.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    ... "In A World"... the demo version of the song is superior to the one on the album.
    Agree with that...

Quote Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
    they played CalProg in 2006.
    Quote Originally Posted by thx5150 View Post
    Yup, I saw that show. And their performance was the highlight of the festival and the reason I went that year.
    They put on a good set at CalProg. They were definitely a highlight that year. Plus, the guys were so cordial and fan-friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I was enjoying the thread as well. Oh well, I think Shawn still has some friends here and stopped the flaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    That is not what happened - I assure you.
    I would guess it has more to do with getting caught up in possible slander and a reason PE doesn't want to be involved. At any rate, it's a locked thread and over with.

I too am curious why the thread was locked when some threads remain open for months and even years. If posting the truth about a dishonest person causes a problem then I'm confused about the wider purpose of a collection of artists and those who claim to support them. Aren't we supposed to look out for one another and help when we can? Everything I posted about PRR and Shawn is verifiable. Search Botts v theKompany.com. It's public record in California Federal Court, and it's over a hundred separate documents. theKompany.com is/was Shawn's parent company for ProgRock Records, Mindawn, etc. If by exposing what Shawn did to us (Starcastle) and other bands, I prevent one other artist or investor from being run over by him, then I'm proud of what I've done. .. and will continue to do. Slander is only slander if it isn't true.

If I'm not mistaken, the band was on the roster for the ill-fated Ohio Prog festival.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the band was on the roster for the ill-fated Ohio Prog festival.
    Very true!

Sunday, September 9, 2012 "Main Event" Day 2

Kinetic Element | 11:00AM-12:15PM

After the Fall | 1:00PM-2:30PM

Cryptic Vision | 3:30PM-5:00PM

Arena | 7:00PM-9:00PM

Nightingale | 10:00PM-12:00AM

[QUOTE=Gruno;518388]They put on a good set at CalProg. They were definitely a highlight that year. Plus, the guys were so cordial and fan-friendly.

/QUOTE]

Yup they sure did. They had a more American brand of prog and definitely stood out. Very good people too.

In spite of not generally liking that slick neo-prog thing, I really liked the couple of Cryptic Vision discs I have. They capture some of Kansas' immense musicality, a kind of musicality that goes far beyond prog. They had some things most modern prog bands lack - groove, swing and a sense of phrasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    In spite of not generally liking that slick neo-prog thing, I really liked the couple of Cryptic Vision discs I have. They capture some of Kansas' immense musicality, a kind of musicality that goes far beyond prog. They had some things most modern prog bands lack - groove, swing and a sense of phrasing.
    Kansas was a huge influence to all of them but Rick Duncan in particular who wrote most of the music. I don't consider bands like CV and Neal Morse's many flavors to be neo-prog. These guys have American roots that Neo-prog bands do not use.

I think you're right about that distinction. Maybe why I fell for it more easily.

I know this is an old thread, but I am bumping it for two reasons...

Firstly, CV lead singer and guitarist Todd Plant is currently in hospital with his wife undergoing treatment for Covid 19. Last I saw he was being moved to ICU, but apart from that so far it seems the treatment is going well. If any of you have Todd on Facebook (which he is using to update people on his progress) or any other platform, I am sure he would appreciate a message of support.

Secondly, he has dropped some strong hints that there may be some Cryptic Vision news soon...

I also saw the band at Rosfest in 2005, and their Sunday morning set just blew me away. I was fairly active writing CF and live reviews back then and I did review them quite a bit. Sadly I don't have the time any more, but I have always loved their material and have fond memories of my time at Rosfest.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Finger crossed that Todd and his wife recover well!

I stumbled across Cryptic Vision's In A World album in a small West Yorkshire record shop. My interest was piqued because I liked a couple of other bands keyboard player Howard Helm had been involved with (Zon, Refugee) so I took a punt on it without having heard a note. Glad I did. Excellent band. I enjoy all three studio records, indeed, I think the got better as they went along.

As & when Todd hopefully recovers and the band (again hopefully!) releases a new CD, it'll be an auto buy for me.