Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Post Punk

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    This Heat - This Heat and Deceit
    Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    KiLLiNG JOKE.
    I'm not sure I would qualify either as post-punk... Avant/industrial is more likely... like Throbbing Gristle or Cabaret Voltaire
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Another favourite of mine were the Diagram Brothers - catchy songs with very straightforward lyrics on odd subjects and an intense rythmicality plus plenty of purposely dischordant guitar. They even had a song called 'Discordo':

And another great band who were largely ignored were Stump - formed by the amazing bass player Kev Hopper they combined Brand X bass playing with Captain Beefhart rhythms and somehow added an Irish singer who wove bizarre songs over the top. A truly unique band it's worth taking the time to get to know.

Banned
    Serbian and ex-Yugoslavian post-punk band Šarlo Akrobata, Ljubavna priča ("Love Story") (1981)

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=3696

Croatian and ex-Yugoslavian post-punk band Transmisia, Snaga straha, ("Power of Fear") (1983)

Serbian and ex-Yugoslavian post-punk band Električni orgazam, Leptir ("Butterfly"), (1982)

(...) the NME journalist Kris Bohn, who stated that the band was one of the most exciting non-British acts. (...)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elektri%C4%8Dni_Orgazam
    Last edited by Svetonio; 01-31-2016 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'm not sure I would qualify either as post-punk... Avant/industrial is more likely...
    Well I'm interested in that too!

PS- I grabbed that Wire album. Amazon says it'll ship in 1-3 weeks. I just can't resist it for less than half the price it is everywhere else.

Joy Division is my #1 answer and has already been mentioned, but I am pushing it again. Bauhaus is another good answer, mentioned earlier as well.

Strange that they both morphed into different kinds of bands (New Order and Love And Rockets, respectively).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

K.U.K.L.- The Eye (with Björk)

The next band these guys made was Sugarcubes - much mellower than KUKL.

The Young Gods (from Switzerland)

The Stick Men
    The Ortho-Tonics (no CDs, but you can legally download their albums for free, I think, from Free Music Archives). Their masterpiece is Luminous Bipeds.
    Fish & Roses
    V-Effect
    No Safety (debatable if they belong here)
    Has no one mentioned
    Gang of Four (Solid Gold and Entertainment still ring very very strongly in Casa Feigenbaum.....)
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I would also strongly s cond Pere Ubu's The Modern Dance
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Well I'm interested in that too!

PS- I grabbed that Wire album. Amazon says it'll ship in 1-3 weeks. I just can't resist it for less than half the price it is everywhere else.
    There's always the band's shop, too for future purchases:

http://www.pinkflag.com/shop.php
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    And another great band who were largely ignored were Stump - formed by the amazing bass player Kev Hopper they combined Brand X bass playing with Captain Beefhart rhythms and somehow added an Irish singer who wove bizarre songs over the top. A truly unique band it's worth taking the time to get to know.
    Their singer Mick Lynch died after an illness last month, another sad loss in the recent tidal wave of rock deaths.
    Last edited by Sunlight Caller; 01-31-2016 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Has no one mentioned
    Gang of Four (Solid Gold and Entertainment still ring very very strongly in Casa Feigenbaum.....)
    Off-handedly. They're still putting out albums, too. I thought Content from '12 or '13 was good. The last one put out in '15 though . . .

A live album should be coming out soon from the 2015 tour.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Recommended reading on this subject: Simon Reynolds: "Rip It Up And Start Again : Post-Punk 1978-1984"

The Comsat Angels
    The Sound
    Modern Eon
    Snake Corps
    Sad Lovers & Giants

Mx-80 Sound
    Mission of Burma
    The Raincoats - Odyshape in particular which has drums from Robert Wyatt and Charles Hayward
    Unrest Work & Play
    James Chance The Contortions
    DNA- These last two are technically No Wave
    Last edited by Morpheus; 01-31-2016 at 10:36 AM.

You'll love it, but have you heard it's two predecessors? They help to put their development into context, as they pretty much deconstruct punk along the way, with a series of wonderful abridged songs, clocking in from under 30 second to a couple of minutes, especially on Pink Flag. Chairs Missing is brilliant too though.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Recommended reading on this subject: Simon Reynolds: "Rip It Up And Start Again : Post-Punk 1978-1984"

The Comsat Angels
    Yes that's a good book to read. I also heartily recommend the Comsat Angels, their first album "Waiting For A Miracle" is such an unknown classic and includes the brilliant single "Independence day". Their first three are being reissued with bells and whistles and are all great. They have been described by the UK film critic mark Kermode as "the band that Joy Division could have been", they had it all except the success they deserved. I saw them supporting U2 on what was either the Boy or October tour, bloody early days anyway, and they were brilliant.

Arguably the most original rock group to ever form in Norway, ironically by a Pole (rebel maverick asshat maniac masochist Andrzej Dziubec Nebb) and retrospectively best known as the earliest outlet for Lars Pedersen (When/The Last James) - if you want angst, this shit is the real deal:

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yes. MX 80 Sound's EP "Big Hits" and lp "Hard Attack" are amazing, early, crazy, blasts of art noise.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Metabolist were a weird and wonderful band, too bad there will probably never be a reissue.

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Metabolist were a weird and wonderful band, too bad there will probably never be a reissue.
    Post-punk's answer to Can. Priceless!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS