Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Steve Howe quits Asia?

ASIA and AFJP are in Different Worlds. We wish them the best.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    There's been interviews over the last couple of years where Howe has talked about not having room for other activities because he's so busy with Asia and Yes, and how he won't go on doing both forever. So a surprise, but the signs where there. I understand his departure now is entirely amicable. As I understand it, Asia will continue on. (What implications this has for AFJP, I don't know.)

Henry

LOL

I saw that "ASIA Featuring John Payne" has posted here and my first thought was that they got Howe to join!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm not really that surprised, either. In fact, I'm amazed it went on as long as it did. If Steve had unlimited stamina and time, I'm sure he would have stayed on, because Asia is a good paying gig and I'm sure he appreciates just laying the chords and notes down instead of being pressured to write. But yeah, between his own projects, Yes, and Asia, it's a bit much.

That said, I'm glad they got three new albums out in the original configuration. "Omega" was my favorite but they were all good.

So....I'm guessing that "originalasia.com" should be changed to reflect the changes. Maybe usedtobeoriginalasia.com ? Or threefourthoriginalasia.com ? Or asianotfeaturingjohnpayne.com ?

And what about this quote on their website:

“This is the REAL ASIA,” says guitarist Steve Howe. “There have been other versions of the band, but this original line-up is the one that the public truly embraced.

Just having fun here...good to see a band split happen amicably for once. And if this move helps a new Yes album to happen, I'm all for that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    What Asia needs -- another hard rock shredder.

But the kid will probably do just what he's told.
    I actually like Al Pitrelli's playing on Aria. According to Prog Rock mag, Asia will be working on an album called Valkyrie(featuring Sam) within the coming months. Can't wait to hear how this kid plays.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Geoff Downes has already replaced him with a guitarist from an Asia tribute band...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Geoff Downes has already replaced him with a guitarist from an Asia tribute band...
    ????

Joke, Jordan.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Joke, Jordan.
    Oh. Hahah. Would Geoff make the same "mistake" as Chris? Btw, Geez, wasn't sure if he was referring to Steve or Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

And besides Jimmy Haun, who really sounds like Howe, anyway?
    Well, there's the kid from Glass Hammer. It might have been interesting if they'd picked him.

Banned
    I can't wait to see what Roger Dean will come up with using an album title like Valkyrie to work with.

[QUOTE=Dan Roth;33083]So....I'm guessing that "originalasia.com" should be changed to reflect the changes. Maybe usedtobeoriginalasia.com ? Or threefourthoriginalasia.com ? Or asianotfeaturingjohnpayne.com ?

officialasia.com

Asia Featuring John Payne has a rather excellent guitarist in Jeff Kollman. Here he is with some nobody named Glenn Hughes, who was in the Purple Daisies or something: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nrbuhx9mvk

My mate Ed made a good point on this. With a new Asia tour beng put together in support of the album, one wonders what will happen with Downes if/when Asia's touring schedule conflicts with Yes recording and/or touring. My guess is he'd stick with Asia (if he's given the choice) and if so, which Wakeman do we think Yes (or should that be Chris?) would invite to replace him this time ?

It is significant that the band have had time to find and announce a replacement along with details of a new album, more so when you take into account that the Cruise to the Edge lineup didn't feature Asia when all of the members were already booked anyway, so I agree with those above who suspect this has been planned for a while now. If I didn't know Carl was genuinely ill last month I'd have been suspicious of the gig cancellations that occurred, but it does seem that this truly is an amicable split.

As a huge fan of both Yes and Asia, I wish them both all the best, and I hope they both benefit from the shot in the arm that this news brings them.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I can't wait to see what Roger Dean will come up with using an album title like Valkyrie to work with.
    No Howe no Dean?

Quote Originally Posted by arj View Post
    No Howe no Dean?
    ad astra per aspera!

How many versions of Asia can be formed featuring people who once played in Asia?

My own Asia collection is very small and contains:
    The original band: Howe, Downes, Palmer, Wetton
    Wetton, Downes, Palmer, Thrall
    Payne, Downes, Slade, Govan

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    How many versions of Asia can be formed featuring people who once played in Asia?

My own Asia collection is very small and contains:
    The original band: Howe, Downes, Palmer, Wetton
    Wetton, Downes, Palmer, Thrall
    Payne, Downes, Slade, Govan
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia_%28band%29#Personnel summarises the band's membership, although it doesn't cover guest musicians (notable on Aura). Asia has had numerous guitarists down the years (at least 13 + 4 more with AFJP) and plenty of drummers (at least 7), but not many keyboardists (Downes, John Young for one tour in 1989/90 and AFJP have Erik Norlander) or bassists (Wetton, Lake and Payne, plus session work from Gary Liederman and Tony Levin on Aura).

In all, I count 18 distinct Asia line-ups that have played live (plus 4 AFJP line-ups), plus additional line-ups on certain studio tracks and when the band was being formed. Out of 11 studio albums (ignoring Then & Now, Rare, Archiva 1 and 2), 5 were by the original quartet, but no other album repeats a line-up (well, Silent Nation has the same line-up as parts of Aura).

Henry
    Last edited by bondegezou; 01-11-2013 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Editing numbers: I missed out an AFJP guitarist!
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    You hear him playing this lovely, timeless, beautiful Bach piece, and you realize that this guy has some wonderful musical projects that require his attention.
    Oh dear God, that's just awful to me - not only does the orchestra sound synthesised and horribly artificial, but the instrumentation doesn't match what we see in the video.
    Once upon a time Steve Howe played "Clap", but this butchery of Bach might be affectionately called "Claptrap".

Sorry if my strong Baroque-snob tastes prevent me from enjoying this, but I think I'd much rather Steve stayed in Asia than do more of this sort of thing...
    :-)

Quote Originally Posted by dpt3 View Post
    Well, there's the kid from Glass Hammer. It might have been interesting if they'd picked him.
    I'm really liking that Shikoh's playing. Talented kid.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by martiprog View Post
    My mate Ed made a good point on this. With a new Asia tour beng put together in support of the album, one wonders what will happen with Downes if/when Asia's touring schedule conflicts with Yes recording and/or touring. My guess is he'd stick with Asia (if he's given the choice) and if so, which Wakeman do we think Yes (or should that be Chris?) would invite to replace him this time ?

It is significant that the band have had time to find and announce a replacement along with details of a new album, more so when you take into account that the Cruise to the Edge lineup didn't feature Asia when all of the members were already booked anyway, so I agree with those above who suspect this has been planned for a while now. If I didn't know Carl was genuinely ill last month I'd have been suspicious of the gig cancellations that occurred, but it does seem that this truly is an amicable split.

As a huge fan of both Yes and Asia, I wish them both all the best, and I hope they both benefit from the shot in the arm that this news brings them.
    Dude, get over it. If you want a Wakeman, you'll have to settle for one of Rick's kids. Rick has no interest of returning to Yes, because of what they did to him. Also, I don't think Oliver would come back either, because of the last minute change that occurred during the FFH recording.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by arj View Post
    No Howe no Dean?
    Your question leads me to believe that you don't follow Asia. Roger Dean has designed covers for Astra, Aura, and Aria; those are Asia albums that Howe didn't appear on. Also, Roger designed the cover to Yes' Drama, which Geoff Downes appeared on.

Dude, get over it. If you want a Wakeman, you'll have to settle for one of Rick's kids. Rick has no interest of returning to Yes, because of what they did to him. Also, I don't think Oliver would come back either, because of the last minute change that occurred during the FFH recording.
    That still leaves Adam, Ben and Jemma!

Your question leads me to believe that you don't follow Asia. Roger Dean has designed covers for Astra, Aura, and Aria; those are Asia albums that Howe didn't appear on.
    A minor point, but Howe does guest on Aura.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Isn't Adam in Headspace?
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    That still leaves Adam, Ben and Jemma!

A minor point, but Howe does guest on Aura.

Henry
    Other than Dean, who could design an Asia album cover? Wasn't Silent Nation designed by an Insideout Music house artist? Is Rodney Matthews still in business?
    Last edited by JIF; 01-12-2013 at 03:00 AM.

"Silent Nation" was photographed by Gene Kirkland and Robert John. Gene also photographed John Kalodner for the GPS "Window to the Soul" album. Gene and Robert pointed their lenses at some interesting folks over the years, I'm sure Google can tell you more. The graphic design for those 2 albums was done by the very capable Thomas Ewerhard, who does do a fair amount of work for InsideOut and others.

And yes Rodney is still very much "in business" and is working on art for our new album "Americana".

Isn't Adam in Headspace?Other than Dean, you could design an Asia album cover? Wasn't Silent Nation designed by an Insideout Music house artist? Is Rodney Matthews still in business?