Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Current political affairs & general political correctness vs. artists’ names & titles

Legendary scottish avant-formalist symph band "all holes filled with henry cock" had a hard time getting bookings i recall, back during my time on the scene, and had to downplay things to "pumpin' plumpers" before success on the pub and uni circuit followed.

Last year a band named Viet Cong had shows cancelled in some cities due to pc and decided to change their name.
    Some music festivals have banned the wearing of Indian headdresses by attendees.
    In the 1980s, The Payola$ found it difficult to the garner the kind of radio airplay in the US that they got in Canada and changed their name to Paul Hyde and the Payolas (so radio could say Paul Hyde instead of Payola$).
    Barenaked Ladies survived political correctness early in their career when a fuss was made over their name as they were scheduled for an outdoor show at Toronto City Hall.
    I remember tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Would they ban the song Isis by Bob Dylan?
    There used ot be a band named Isis.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    ..and keeping it topical
    David Jones became David Bowie.
    Not sure where the PC issue is. He changed it because of the Monkee by the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I doubt that a group could get away with calling themselves "Gerry and the Pacemakers" today - or if they did, it would be seen as a bit crass and disrespectful to people with a heart condition. The defibrillation devices known as pacemakers did not exit back in the early 1960's.
    Not true. The Pacemaker preceded Gerry Marsden and the boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    No one got worked up over Katrina and the Wave?
    Because they preceded the natural disaster by about 20 years.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Because they preceded the natural disaster by about 20 years.
    and have already been mentioned in the thread...

Suspended
    The Pacemaker preceded Gerry Marsden and the boys.
    True, but it was not until the late 1960's or even later that the technology got good enough so that significant numbers of people were wearing them,

The German band Birth Control... with the assistance of their cover art.

The German band Ramses had a song War, which had to be changed to Noise for the US market.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    The German band Ramses had a song War, which had to be changed to Noise for the US market.
    Speaking of Ramses: the same album the track War is on (La Leyla) also contains the track Devil Inside, which was almost refust to be played in a radio-program because of the ehh.... the devil inside.....

The Dead Kennedy's

Simple Minds began as Johnny and The Self-Abusers.
    Teenage Fanclub were originally Teenage Fanny.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    The Dead Kennedy's
    There was also a band named The Dead Lennons for a while. I used to pick up the Aquarian Weekly, a NYC entertainment mag back in the day to check out the nightlife schedule. Some crazy band names. Two I fondly recall were Teenage Jesus and the Jerks and Dem Boners Be Poppin'.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Back in the 70s there was a UK act called Judge Dread who released naughty versions of nursery rhymes to a reggae backing (no, I'm not making it up) with titles such as 'Big 6', 'Big 7', etc. On the rare occasions on which they troubled the charts, the DJs wouldn't even read out the title, innocuous though it may be. Similar thing with the Sex Pistols, the title of their album was either shortened to 'Never Mind' or omitted altogether. And as for Ivor Biggun's "The Wanker Song"...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Do you think if Jody Foster started a band called Army, the band Jody Foster's Army would have a beef, and would they have a legit complaint?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Some guy tried to sue JK Rowling by claiming he wrote a book like Harry Potter and she stole the idea. His book or manuscript was called something like Barry Botter.

Didn't Led Zeppelin once have to appear as "The Nobs" in Germany because the heir to the Zeppelin family name had the vapors over a rock band using it?
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

My progressive bandmates wanted to name our band Barak Obama... i talked them into baku llama instead.
    Still alive and well...

There used to be a band named Isis.
    Two of them, completely different:

- A fairly recent metal band, and

- A mid-Seventies all-female brass-rock/R&B band from NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Two of them, completely different:

- A fairly recent metal band, and

- A mid-Seventies all-female brass-rock/R&B band from NYC.
    There was also a UK 80s band who had a small amount of currency in the NWOBPR scene of the time, but I think they were more of a HR/HM band.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    There was also a UK 80s band who had a small amount of currency in the NWOBPR scene of the time, but I think they were more of a HR/HM band.
    And we had a DJ Isis, who was the daughter of the mayor of the city I live.

Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel