Thread: iamthemorning - Lighthouse (KScope, April 1st, 2016)

iamthemorning - Lighthouse (KScope, April 1st, 2016)

Looking forward to this certainly.

Preorders:

Vinyl:
    https://www.burningshed.com/store/ks...duct/272/7246/

CD:
    https://www.burningshed.com/store/ks...duct/272/7247/

iamthemorning - Lighthouse pic.jpg
    1. I Came Before the Water (pt. I) [1:41]
    2. Too Many Years [5:09]
    3. Clear Clearer [4:35]
    4. Sleeping Pills [3:43]
    5. Libretto Horror [2:13]
    6. Lighthouse (feat. Mariusz Duda) [6:13]
    7. Harmony [5:18]
    8. Matches [4:18]
    9. Belighted [3:26]
    10. Chalk And Coal [4:56]
    11. I Came Before the Water (pt. II) [2:56]
    12. Post Scriptum [2:43]

Featuring guests Gavin Harrison, Colin Edwin and Mariusz Duda (Riverside, Luantic Soul) and engineered/mixed by Marcel Van Limbeek (Tori Amos), Lighthouse is the 2016 album from Russian Post-Progressive duo iamthemorning.

Rich and eclectic, Ligthouse possesses elements of Classical music, Canterbury Prog, northern Folk, Jazz and Ambient music.

Recorded across London, Moscow and St Petersburg, the core instrument of the band, the grand piano, was recorded in Mosfilm Studios Moscow, the largest and oldest studios in Russia. Founded in 1920, Mosfilm is renowned for recording orchestras for soundtracks for the most famous Soviet-era films, including works by Tarkovsky and Eisenstein.

Lighthouse chronicles the progression of mental illness. The album takes the listener through the stages of breakdown via a central character - her attempts to fight it, temporal remission leading to a final collapse and has been inspired by the works and lives of Virginia Woolf and Sylvia Plath.

The album artwork for Lighthouse was created by watercolour artist and long-term collaborator, Constantine Nagishkin.

Suspended
    I'm sure Kscope will be featuring this on their podcast.

I was pretty impressed with what I heard from the previous album, "Belighted", but for some reason never got around to seriously investigating them.

The singer has an anecdote about how she believes Danny Cavanagh of Anathema (or it might have been Vincent, I get them confused) saved her life by getting her out of a crowd crush at some concert.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 01-29-2016 at 01:41 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    (...)
    Recorded across London, Moscow and St Petersburg, the core instrument of the band, the grand piano, was recorded in Mosfilm Studios Moscow, the largest and oldest studios in Russia. Founded in 1920, Mosfilm is renowned for recording orchestras for soundtracks for the most famous Soviet-era films, including works by Tarkovsky and Eisenstein.
    (...)

I love this album, one of my faves of the year so far. Its a pity their music has not reached a wider audience yet, many would like it if they heard it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l281...mxKfVS&index=6

Banned
    My fav tracks from each of three LPs by iamthemorning

I had been interested in them, and musically these sound pretty good but the vocals are a deal-breaker.

Bands whose first language is not English should use their native tongue for lyrics. They are invariably unidiomatic and trite.

On top of that, I'm really over the whiney Euro women singers adopting US twangs. It gives the whole thing an AOR feel that lets down the composition.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    I had been interested in them, and musically these sound pretty good but the vocals are a deal-breaker.

Bands whose first language is not English should use their native tongue for lyrics. They are invariably unidiomatic and trite.

On top of that, I'm really over the whiney Euro women singers adopting US twangs. It gives the whole thing an AOR feel that lets down the composition.
    I agree with you 101% that the bands should use their first languages, like it was the case with those Yugo-prog bands from the 70s; though, the things are changed dramatically from that time, as English is rapidly becoming lingua franca of this globalized world, and I doubt that iamthemorning ever could had a chance to sign for esteemed Kscope label and hence to make an international career if Marjana Semkina sung their first album in Russian.

Usually I prefer artists to sing in their native tongue, but I think Marjana does ok on these albums. Her voice has a certain lightness and lilt to it that papers over any phrasing cracks along the way.

But talking of Kscope, on the other hand, I struggle with the poor syntax adopted by Erra on Nosound's albums, and wish he'd sing in Italian. Nosound's material is pretty slow paced in tempo, which only accentuates his poor phrasing. The songs and structures sound fine, but the vocals are pretty weak.

bump.

Gleb Kalyadin of iamthemorning has a Self-Titled solo album coming out on February 23rd.

It includes Steve Hogarth, Gavin Harrison and Jordan Rudess among other guests.

"The Best of Days" ft Hogarth

^ I might be keen on getting this, not a fan of Hogarth's whiny vocals which puts me off a bit.

Great band!