Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Paul Kantner- Jefferson Airplane/Starship

RIP Paul Kantner- Jefferson Airplane/Starship

Like this month couldn't pass without yet another legend passing.

Take a minute to discuss his work and the songs you liked best he was part of.'

RIP Paul!

http://www.sfgate.com/music/article/...74-6791483.php

OH man, what a loss. I'll be honest, I loved his JS work the most. He was the glue that held that band together. It may have been mostly AOR but he had an artistic spirit that made it feel otherworldly. When he took the "Jefferson" with him it became a travesty. Rest in peace.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

RIP. I've been listening to the first two Airplane albums a lot recently. Will be listening some more, with some sadness.

RIP. Got to see JA/JS 3 times, he was the only constant...

Jefferson Airplane were one of my early rock experiences. I was 11 with a 14 year old brother who brought home Surrealistic Pillow. There were so many great memories formal of his work. I was more partial to things that Grace wrote and Jorma's stuff but Paul was the constant in the whole thing. He got a little too political sometimes but all in all a great songwriter. Going to miss him. RIP Paul

I'm probably one of the few in the universe that loved Modern Times by Jefferson Starship. I bought the cassette tape back in '81 as a young 12 old that just began watching MTV when it first came on air. 'Find Your Way Back' and 'Stranger' were videos in constant rotation at the start and I was hooked. I love the album to this day and it made me dig deeper into their catalog. RIP Paul Kantner.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

First band I saw, first band I loved, they are one of the main reasons I love music at all. Ah, crap. This one hurts so much.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

An obituary I read said he was the first of the classic Jefferson Airplane lineup (Balin, Kantner, Slick, Jorma, Casady, Dryden) to die. Considering all the drugs that were consumed by those people over the years, that's pretty incredible.

I love the After Bathing at Baxter's album, here are two great tracks from that album written by Kantner:

Saturday afternoon
    Yellow clouds rising in the noon
    Acid, incense and balloons
    Saturday afternoon
    People dancing everywhere
    Loudly shouting I don't care
    It's a time for growing and a time for knowing love

RIP Paul Kantner
    ...or you could love

I heard it on the radio as I was driving home from the funeral home this evening.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    An obituary I read said he was the first of the classic Jefferson Airplane lineup (Balin, Kantner, Slick, Jorma, Casady, Dryden) to die. Considering all the drugs that were consumed by those people over the years, that's pretty incredible.
    That's wrong, though. Spencer Dryden died in 2005.

Terrible news. R.I.P. Paul.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace, Paul. So glad I got to see Jefferson Starship again in 2014. Also saw them in 1975. Good times, good memories.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    That's wrong, though. Spencer Dryden died in 2005.

Terrible news. R.I.P. Paul.
    The main write up linked in the OP didn't even mention Dryden being in the band. Sheesh.

RIP Paul........ what's going on- we're losing a music legend each week!

i saw them live in 1989 when they reunited. great show.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I heard it on the radio as I was driving home from the funeral home this evening.
    Not sure who you lost, Ed, but...condolences.

One of the first concerts I attended, in about 1967, with the trippy visuals (wall projections mixing oil and colored water; I think that's how they did those). Anyway, I have quite a bit of the 60's & 70's stuff, which will be played tonight.

Just saw this posted on another website I go to sometimes(the Rush forum). RIP Paul Kantner. He was a founding member of JA right?

R.I.P.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Very sad, was just listening to some old Airplane earlier this week (what am i saying, all Airplane is old). I guess a rock star that makes it past the age of 70 or past the year 2016 is doing pretty well.
    RIP Mr Kantner.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Just saw this posted on another website I go to sometimes(the Rush forum). RIP Paul Kantner. He was a founding member of JA right?
    Yes, and the first to pass.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Oh my god, what is going on? Mr. Reaper is really having a thing for famous musicians lately!

Anyways, I always felt Paul Kantner was one of the most progressive American songwriters of the late 60s. His work with the Airplane and later Starship was always giving those bands a conceptual edge they would not have otherwise enjoyed. He was the "keeper of the flame" for the original Airplane IMO. This is a huge loss.

RIP
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

That's wrong, though. Spencer Dryden died in 2005
    Thanks for the correction, that's what I get for not doing 30 seconds of Googling.

the trippy visuals (wall projections mixing oil and colored water; I think that's how they did those)
    Here's a link to a pretty basic explanation of The Joshua Light Show. A lot of work went in to making those trippy visuals, but they kind of faded out in the early 70's.

His work with the Airplane and later Starship was always giving those bands a conceptual edge they would not have otherwise enjoyed
    Yep, I'll have to dig out my copy of Blows Against the Empire and give that a spin.
    ...or you could love

Seeing the best creative minds of my generation passing away is sobering. Will spin Crown of Creation tonight.
    RIP
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

This is unbelievable how many of my generation’s musical heroes have passed away in the last month. Kantner was always my favorite songwriter in both the Airplane and Starship. He created some amazing stuff. I am probably in the minority here, but my favorite Jefferson Starship album was “Freedom At Point Zero” which may be AOR, but a desert island disc for me. I was working on a radio station when it came out in the fall of 79 and we played the hell out of both the singles as well as several album cuts. Jefferson Airplane was a bit before my time, but I learned to appreciate a lot of their stuff later. I saw Jefferson Starship with Kantner twice, the first time here in Kalamazoo on the “Nuclear Furniture” tour in 1984 and the second time with the re-vamped Jefferson Starship lineup in Laughlin Nevada sometime in the 90’s. Both were great shows. RIP Paul Kantner.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    One of the first concerts I attended, in about 1967, with the trippy visuals (wall projections mixing oil and colored water; I think that's how they did those). Anyway, I have quite a bit of the 60's & 70's stuff, which will be played tonight.
    Ina gadda vida baby. RIP Paul Kantner. What a coincidence, I just listened to the first Starship project which included Jerry Garcia.

My teen club in Hawaii on base, had those projections plus silent films on the side and a dance floor flooded with strobe lights.

The drug use these folks had was probably never as abusive as the tobacco and alcohol abuse that my parents had.

Suspended
    I only have Surrealistic Pillow, and I only got that about 3 or 4 years ago, having come very late to the JA party. Crown of Creation is also very good.

The Airplane were one of those bands you always heard ABOUT in this country, but we heard very little OF them, apart from the ubiquitous "Somebody To Love", which has suffered over the years from being covered many times and often very badly.

R.I.P.