Thread: Andy Powell Book - Eyes Wide Open

Andy Powell Book - Eyes Wide Open

Just curious if any of you Wishbone Ash fans out there have read Andy Powell’s relatively new book “Eyes Wide Open”. I just finished it and really enjoyed it. It is very well written and goes through W.A. history up to the present day. He also includes a lot of side stories and of course covers the litigation against Martin Turner. For those of you into Wishbone Ash (or rock memoirs in general) I would highly recommend the book.

I have 5 books to read after I get done with "Dear Boy", the Keith Moon bio, but since I covered both "Blowin' Free" & "The King Will Come" in my misspent youth (yeah, I know, still hasn't ended), I feel an obligation to make this #6.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I have 5 books to read after I get done with "Dear Boy", the Keith Moon bio, but since I covered both "Blowin' Free" & "The King Will Come" in my misspent youth (yeah, I know, still hasn't ended), I feel an obligation to make this #6.
    Wishbone Ash completely passed me by whan I was younger. It was not until their appearence at ProgDay in 2004 that I was even exposed to them, but they hooked me big time from there.

I finally saw Wishbone Ash in Fairfield Ct. last year after being a fan since the late 70s.

They were fantastic, and their newer material is as strong as the classics.

I ran into Andy a month later at the same venue were Steve Hackett was performing.

I'd love to read his book.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I've been a fan from the beginning. I'll be on this at some point. I just finished reading Ann and Nancy Wilson's Kicking and Dreaming autobiography. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I finally saw Wishbone Ash in Fairfield Ct. last year after being a fan since the late 70s.

They were fantastic, and their newer material is as strong as the classics.

I ran into Andy a month later at the same venue were Steve Hackett was performing.

I'd love to read his book.
    Agree, in fact I think some of their newer albums are better than some that sre considered "classics".

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I've been a fan from the beginning. I'll be on this at some point. I just finished reading Ann and Nancy Wilson's Kicking and Dreaming autobiography. Thanks for the heads up.
    Read that one too. Another great book!

I thought Blue Horizon was an excellent album.

The thing with Martin Turner was unfortunate. People on some forums have become quite bitter about it and seem to hero worship Turner. His new album, Written in the Stars, is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    I thought Blue Horizon was an excellent album.

The thing with Martin Turner was unfortunate. People on some forums have become quite bitter about it and seem to hero worship Turner. His new album, Written in the Stars, is OK.
    +1. I've been on some WA related forums and the atmosphere was weird sometimes.
    I love Blue Horizon too and I think the current incarnation of WA has done a great job of staying true to the original spirit and sound while putting its own stamp on the music.
    I look forward to reading Andy Powell's book. The more I listen to WA (old or new), the more I feel he's one of my favorite guitarists. (His solo on "Way Down South", on BH, is really a work of art. Not many notes, but every little nuance contributes to the emotion.)

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    The more I listen to WA (old or new), the more I feel he's one of my favorite guitarists. (His solo on "Way Down South", on BH, is really a work of art. Not many notes, but every little nuance contributes to the emotion.)
    Same here!
    I'm pretty sure the first solo in Way Down South is Andy, and the outro Muddy Manninen.

Has anyone read Martin Turner's book "No Easy Road"?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Has anyone read Martin Turner's book "No Easy Road"?
    I would be interested in reading it, but.......on Amazon it is going for $150.00. Apparently it is really rare?

Record Collector published an extract of Andy's book a few months ago, recounting how he first met Martin and the group was formed... It's wonderfully written, very anecdotical and with a lot of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Same here!
    I'm pretty sure the first solo in Way Down South is Andy, and the outro Muddy Manninen.
    Well, whoever did the outro solo on Way Down South is clearly a great guitar player. (I love what Muddy has brought to the band, btw.)

That's a Les Paul on the outro.