Thread: Warm Dust - any fans??

Warm Dust - any fans??

One of Britain's best answer to Chicago and brass rock in general... and a fave of mine

Love all three of their albums, but they seem like they're long OOP (were they ever released in legit >> Hello Vicky & Esoteric )

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Sure, I like them.

They were badder cousins of the US brass rockers, though. Much rawer, I think.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Great band. All their albums are pretty enjoyable and I think that Peace for our time is a minor classic of 70s british rock.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Can't say they do a lot for me. Is that the same Paul Carrack as in Mike and the Mechanics fame?

^I think it is...not that long after, he had a big hit with the band Ace, 'How Long'.

This is his latest single. How anyone can put out such banal, asinine tripe is beyond me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlp1MA6OKaw

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    This is his latest single. How anyone can put out such banal, asinine tripe is beyond me.
    It's called "growing up."

And he'd probably tell you that the edgy stuff he did early in his career was just a matter of following what was fashionable back then, where you had to sound different and distinctive or get dismissed as unoriginal. That all he'd ever wanted to do was sound exactly like the kind of Motown soul music that was already old-fashioned in 1969. By this point, he probably even believes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post

And he'd probably tell you that the edgy stuff he did early in his career was just a matter of following what was fashionable back then, where you had to sound different and distinctive or get dismissed as unoriginal. That all he'd ever wanted to do was sound exactly like the kind of Motown soul music that was already old-fashioned in 1969. By this point, he probably even believes it.
    Lord preserve me from growing up then....

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^he had a big hit with the band Ace, 'How Long'.
    Yes, half of Warm Dust went later on as Ace.

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I would love to see these albums released properly. There is definitely some quality material on all three albums and the band deserves a Underexposed/underrated tag for me. I'll have to put these guys in the playlist today.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Yes, half of Warm Dust went later on as Ace.
    And unfortunately, the music wasn't up to par with WD's.

But I'm glad some WD members did make a bit of a living (financially speaking) for a few years, because WD is all but forgotten.

And never properly (legit) released on CD format... or even a new generation vinyl release either
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I once read an interview with Paul Carrack in a music mag (on the occasion of a M&M's tour), where he got really incensed when a journalist brought up Warm Dust. I cannot remember accurately his response but it amounted to calling his old band's music a horrible unprofessional crap that should better remain forgotten.

I suspect it was not the first time he had been asked about the beginnings of his career. Warm Dust is probably a kind of unpleasant reminder that there are people who may be more interested in that old "crap" than in his current output, which logically puts the latter in a somewhat unfavourable light. A close partnership with Mike Rutherford, another musician openly showing his disdain for his early days with Genesis, can also be a factor here.

Yes, Rutherford also is keen on that bland, mid-Atlantic, non-specific, 'soul' sound. Alas, Carrack has a great voice but even he couldn't elevate some of that Mechanics material ('Get Up', for instance).

Did Carrack sing at all with Warm Dust? If I recall he only played keyboards (organ).