Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Ginger Baker's Airforce 3 - US Tour

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    And why hi-jack a Ginger Baker thread in the first place?
    Sorry about that. I saw it come up repeatedly and thought I'd say something. It would probably be better to discuss in a Magma thread...

On the subject of Ginger Baker, I never realized he played jazz. I will have to go back and listen to some of his stuff outside of Cream.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I don't recall anything particularly "sloppy" about the drumming on that song.
    Pretty easy to check:

He has never been the timekeeper type, he plays along and improvises, but here he sounds like doesnt like the tune.
    I have lived with this track for maybe 40 years whithout noticing at all, untill a guy I know, who never heard Cream, heard it for the first time, and said who is that clown playing drums? Know a few musicians who never noticed either, we are just used to the sound of this tune.

Isn't this all getting a little McCarthyesque?
    Not even a little.

First day on the internet? Welcome.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Pretty easy to check:

He has never been the timekeeper type, he plays along and improvises, but here he sounds like doesnt like the tune.
    I have lived with this track for maybe 40 years whithout noticing at all, untill a guy I know, who never heard Cream, heard it for the first time, and said who is that clown playing drums? Know a few musicians who never noticed either, we are just used to the sound of this tune.
    Sounds good to me.

He sounds OK to me, Sure, he sounds like Ginger Baker - clunky, slightly stiff, with a vaguely African feel not mistakable for any other drummer, and making odd musical choices - but you wouldn't expect anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    If nothing else, this threat prompted me to pull out my Ginger Baker CDs and give them some exercise. They reside in a section of my CD collection that's hard to reach because I have some stuff stored in front of the leftmost side of my CD shelves, and "Ba" is way down the bottom of the first column of the shelf system, so I have to specifically want something from there rather than seeing it at a casual glance.
    Sounds like Ginger is reading this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I just watched the Movie and I have a new semi-improved vision of who Mr Baker is. What a personal mess. but a great drummer. I've never known him as a Jazz drummer, so that was a pleasant surprise. I may have to revisit Creams total body of work again and see if his work there was really all that great. I liked Cream for far more than Ginger Baker.

Surprised to see they got Neil Peart to say anything, let alone four or five comments during the film.
    Saw the first 50 mins last evening (before heading home) and I stopped before he heads to Africa, but the man was the first to build a recording studio in the African continent. so I always knew a few positive sides to Baker

Isn't this all getting a little McCarthyesque?

Well, I think Jeff's comment started the derivation, but it wasn't meant as an intentional highjack either

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Sorry about that. I saw it come up repeatedly and thought I'd say something. It would probably be better to discuss in a Magma thread...

On the subject of Ginger Baker, I never realized he played jazz. I will have to go back and listen to some of his stuff outside of Cream.
    you never heard of the famous line about "Cream xas a jazz band, we (Ginger & Jack) just never Eric"

I'm sure the Magma issue on this thread would make a huge topic, though this issue's already been discussed here a few times before, and it only lead to strife. The usual PE Magmaheads are probably not aware of this discussion here. No sense to re-start the fire.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    [...]
    you never heard of the famous line about "Cream xas a jazz band, we (Ginger & Jack) just never Eric"

I'm sure the Magma issue on this thread would make a huge topic, though this issue's already been discussed here a few times before, and it only lead to strife. The usual PE Magmaheads are probably not aware of this discussion here. No sense to re-start the fire.
    Actually yes I had heard that quote before, but I completely forgot about it until you just reminded me.

And I agree about the Magma discussion. I've read it here before, done research on it myself, and an Internet forum is a less-than-ideal place to discuss it with any kind of positive outcome.

Now I need to go dig up a copy of Disraeli Gears...

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Now I need to go dig up a copy of Disraeli Gears...
    One would have to check if Vander didn't speak of "Israeli Tears" in his Kobaian texts
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Well, less dramatic than I'd expected, but still, the Tarrytown, NY show has been cancelled:

Due to recent health issues the Ginger Baker performance originally scheduled for Thursday, May 12th, has been cancelled. Below is a statement from his family:
    "To all fans; it is with great sadness that we announce the cancellation of all shows. Ginger's doctor's have insisted that he have complete rest due to diagnosis of serious heart problems. We hope you will all join with his family in wishing him well. God bless Ginger Baker. " Team Baker

See that. And all those people thought he had no heart.

Get well soon, Ginger.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    He sounds OK to me, Sure, he sounds like Ginger Baker - clunky, slightly stiff, with a vaguely African feel not mistakable for any other drummer, and making odd musical choices - but you wouldn't expect anything else.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Maybe just a bit offhand during the chorus, but not sloppy or bizarrely out of place, off time, etc.

Is there any info anywhere about the shows that were played, what was done and who was in the band?

Legendary Cream Drummer Ginger Baker Diagnosed With 'Serious Heart Problems,'

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Well, less dramatic than I'd expected, but still, the Tarrytown, NY show has been cancelled:

Due to recent health issues the Ginger Baker performance originally scheduled for Thursday, May 12th, has been cancelled. Below is a statement from his family:
    "To all fans; it is with great sadness that we announce the cancellation of all shows. Ginger's doctor's have insisted that he have complete rest due to diagnosis of serious heart problems. We hope you will all join with his family in wishing him well. God bless Ginger Baker. " Team Baker
    Like the total absence of one??

Quote Originally Posted by pinkpanther View Post
    I am seeing him in Annapolis MD. Plus there's an upgrade for a meet and greet. Can't wait!
    Wear a suit of armour. Seriously. If you haven't seen th opening of Beware of Mr. Baker, then you should.

I'd never pay for a meet and greet with someone as mercurial as Baker.....well, I'd never pay for a M&G period. But if you're going to, better to spend those bucks on someone for whom you can be sure it'll be a pleasant experience.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    "Meet & Get Punched"

"Meet & Get Punched"
    You can wear the bruises as a batch of honor, something like: "I've met mr. Baker and he punched me" Beats getting your T-shirt signed.

"Meet & Get Punched"

It's all academic now, since the tour is cancelled. The meet and greet could have been a fiasco, but I don't doubt I would have come away with a great story and hopefully photographic evidence. Disappointed!