Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is surround sound the last great progression for Prog?

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    mono gets me all calstrophobic can't enjoy it
    Hi Udi,
    Do you mean mixing in mono, or listening to a mono recording? Stereo is still my favorite way to record and mix, and I love making that Universe which exists only between two little speakers. Mono recordings don't give me a claustrophobic feeling, but I do get that claustrophobic feeling from stereo mixes in which most of the sounds are clustered towards the center, or where there is no real solid left/right/center sensation.

Surround has never interested me at all, in either listening or mixing. I'll gladly leave that to the people who are excited about or interested in it.

BD
    www.bdrak.com
    Last edited by Bob Drake; 01-31-2016 at 02:02 PM.

Listening in mono
    We have 2 ears and mono just sounds unnatural
    no spatial content
    can't enjoy it

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post

There is still a fair amount of un-reissued quadrophonic masters from the 1970s. Billy Cobham "Spectrum" is one that finally did get reissued in the modern age of digital audio -- first in 2001 on DVD-A.

If memory serves, "Spectrum"" was only issued on quad 8-track, not even on CD-4 Quadradisc vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    The sound on a DVD (even more so on blu-ray) is MUCH less compressed than on a CD. So it sounds more like vinyl.

The CD format has nothing to do with what you are talking about.

Maybe the mastering job on the CD is compressed (e.g. -- "loudness wars"), but, vinyl has far less usable dynamic range than a standard CD. The mastering job for vinyl will be compressed so that the silent passages don't disappear in the click'n'pop noise floor.

Just in case some of you are wondering how to get into SACD / DVD-A / Blu-Ray Audio surround sound playback, this is the most affordable disc player that can play all of the surround audio formats and offers onboard decoding to discrete analog outputs or HDMI audio pass-through for decoding in an A/V receiver -- the Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc Player. Usual street price for the BDP-103 is below US$500.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/

^^when my sacd/dvd Marantz stops functioning I'll buy me one like these. It seems these OPPO's are getting smaller every year (and less expensive).

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Listening in mono
    We have 2 ears and mono just sounds unnatural
    no spatial content
    can't enjoy it
    Actually Udi what you are saying is untrue. While there is no side to side spatial cues there is front to back. Case in point (and Steve F. can confirm this since he heard it at my place), listen to the mono pressing of Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus. You can hear soundstaging depth and a sense of spatiality. I actually prefer this version to the stereo version which is slammed hard left, hard right with zero center fill.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Actually Udi what you are saying is untrue. While there is no side to side spatial cues there is front to back. Case in point (and Steve F. can confirm this since he heard it at my place), listen to the mono pressing of Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus. You can hear soundstaging depth and a sense of spatiality. I actually prefer this version to the stereo version which is slammed hard left, hard right with zero center fill.
    Both Ken and I were surprised that there was a soundstage and air and space on this recording.

I liked it enough that I bought a $30.00 reissue - something I don't do very often, but it was really a magnificent presentation of a album I really like, and it really sounded like they were in front of you, even though it really was mono...

Don't ask me how or why because I don't know how or why, but it was true.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

^The Candid stereo CD of that album is, unfortunately, one of the worst I've ever heard- muffled beyond belief. Their Max Roach Freedom Now Suite is also a transfer off a not very good record, full of clicks.

While I not much of a fan of mono I would certainly prefer to hear well done mono over poorly done stereo. The early Beatles albums are a good case in point. There are a bazillion Blue Note collectors that prefer the Van Gelder mono versions over the stereo mixes.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^The Candid stereo CD of that album is, unfortunately, one of the worst I've ever heard- muffled beyond belief. Their Max Roach Freedom Now Suite is also a transfer off a not very good record, full of clicks.
    Buy the vinyl reissue on Pure Pleasure. Their original intention was to release it in stereo but apparently there was an issue with the tapes so they released the mono version. Its shocking how good it sounds. You won't be disappointed.