Thread: Jazz on a Summer's Day - the complete Film on YouTube

Jazz on a Summer's Day - the complete Film on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L36AhSocVlc

You gotta love it how stuff like this became available when YouTube took off the limit for the length of videos. Here's the entire movie by Bert Stern on the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival. Some seminal performances here: Jimmy Giuffre, Thelonious Monk, Sonny Stitt, Anita O'Day, Dinah Washington, Gerry Mulligan, Chuck Berry, Louis Armstrong, and Jack Teagarden.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

YES INDEEDY!!

Thank you, sir
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Saw this years ago;it's great to see it again.What an inspired beginning,Giuffre,Brookmeyer and Hall,showing how you don't need drums to swing,you just need players with metronomes in their heads(as these cats most certainly do(did).

Will watch the rest of it anon.Thanks for posting.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L36AhSocVlc

You gotta love it how stuff like this became available when YouTube took off the limit for the length of videos. Here's the entire movie by Bert Stern on the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival. Some seminal performances here: Jimmy Giuffre, Thelonious Monk, Sonny Stitt, Anita O'Day, Dinah Washington, Gerry Mulligan, Chuck Berry, Louis Armstrong, and Jack Teagarden.
    Fortunately it was more than a decade before My Ding-a-Ling.

An invaluable document, and the end of an era. Ornette--and the musical revolution he ushered in--was a year off, and the year following that would see Mingus's "rebel" festival at Newport. The times, they were a-changin'. Indeed......
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes