Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Progrock Records

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Progrock Records

I was listening to Michael Sadler's solo album "Clear" the other day, and noticed it was on the Progrock Records label, which I remember went belly-up a few years back. I thought it was kind of a shame that his CD can no longer be in print, unless he gets it re-released by another label, which seems little unlikely, although it's actually a pretty good album. Not great, but good (like a Saga album with less interesting musicianship). I remember there were some albums featuring James Labrie that were also on the label - can't remember what else was. A few good things, I think.

It sort of seemed to me that Progrock shut it's doors and went silent very suddenly and completely. Does anyone have any sordid details they'd like to share with us? I know a girl who worked for the label (and maybe was the wife or girlfriend of the guy who ran the label - I forget his name) posted here occasionally, but I don't think she has in a long while.

I actually just performed some Google-Fu, and see that also on the label was: Salem Hill (Mimi's Magic Moment, a great album - sad if it's still OOP!), Steve Walsh, and Nick D,Virgilio (must have been his The Lamb Rewired album, which had sold out - I would think another label might pick that up at some point).

We have lots of Progrock Records albums on blow out at $3 a pop.

www.lasercd.com

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

It sort of seemed to me that Progrock shut it's doors and went silent very suddenly and completely. Does anyone have any sordid details they'd like to share with us?
    Jed, everyone in the prog inner circle knows all the sordid details. They are more splendidly sordid than you could ever imagine.

Too bad you'll never know any of the good stuff that the inner circle knows. Not matter how much you post whatever pops into your little sordid-seeking mind on PE. Nuh-Uh. Never.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Jed, everyone in the prog inner circle knows all the sordid details. They are more splendidly sordid than you could ever imagine.

Too bad you'll never know any of the good stuff that the inner circle knows. Not matter how much you post whatever pops into your little sordid-seeking mind on PE. Nuh-Uh. Never.
    Sorry, Steve - I really didn't mean to upset you.

Did it by chance involve: a midget, a trained mule, 37 gallons of Whip Cream, 14 underage female circus performers, 72 yards of pink twine, and 3 small non-stick kitchen utensils?

All I can say that SG was a dishonorable person.

Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    All I can say that SG was a dishonorable person.
    Seeing how it's no longer my business in any way really, I can say that Moon Safari was owed payment for over 1000 albums or something like that. Not exactly chump change when you're in the situation we were in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Did it by chance involve: a midget, a trained mule, 37 gallons of Whip Cream, 14 underage female circus performers, 72 yards of pink twine, and 3 small non-stick kitchen utensils?
    A typical Wednesday at the $cientology Celebrity Centre.

I actually found an old thread about how Starcastle had gotten screwed by Progrock Records - I'd forgotten about that. And a humor-filled thread it is too:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...323-Starcastle

I actually found an old thread about how Starcastle had gotten screwed by Progrock Records - I'd forgotten about that. And a humor-filled thread it is too:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...323-Starcastle
    That Nutella/Nazi-Cat thingy is brilliant. Did you make that?
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    That Nutella/Nazi-Cat thingy is brilliant. Did you make that?
    I just found it online and paired it with the Starcastle logo. Yeah, it's pretty great! You notice the cat is standing on a strip of bacon?

Jefferson James
    Boutique label tries to ripoff known band formerly signed to two major labels; bright idea.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Boutique label tries to ripoff known band formerly signed to two major labels; bright idea.
    "Boutique label" is a stretch.

One of their good releases is the 3-disk set of albums by Cryptic Vision. I listened to disks 2 and 3 just the other day. Very enjoyable stuff just sort of on the proggier side of neo-prog, kind of like Salem Hill. Every once in a while they cut loose with some excellent keyboards, and it's overall a very enjoyable listen. It was a nice set in a big "keeper" type box, with a poster and other inserts. A shame that set must be long OOP, and kind of unlikely to appear again in a similar format.

Anyone know if anything is up with Cryptic Vision?

Definitely some very good releases on Progrock from time to time. They put out an insanely catchy indie-rock disc by "Evolve IV" about 7-8 years ago which I still play a lot. One of the guys from that band went on to do the Gekko project, which is good too but not on the same level.

Some other good ones: the live Under the Sun disc, the Without Ending debut, and a great fusion disc by Saga keyboardist Jim Gilmour. Sorry that Progrock couldn't make it all work financially.

^ I just got that Jim Gilmour disk from Laser's Edge. Didn't even know it was fusion!

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Definitely some very good releases on Progrock from time to time. They put out an insanely catchy indie-rock disc by "Evolve IV" about 7-8 years ago which I still play a lot. One of the guys from that band went on to do the Gekko project, which is good too but not on the same level.
    The Gekko Project disc is way better than Evolve IV to my ears. I'd say Evolve IV is pedestrian AOR, Gekko Project is pretty good fusiony Progressive Rock, iirc. The individual who was involved with both bands is guitarist Peter Matuchniak, who first came to notice in NWOBPR bands Mach One and Janysium, part of what many call the original "Neo-Prog" scene, and much derided by the Prognoscenti. Still better than the later work, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The Gekko Project disc is way better than Evolve IV to my ears. I'd say Evolve IV is pedestrian AOR, Gekko Project is pretty good fusiony Progressive Rock, iirc. The individual who was involved with both bands is guitarist Peter Matuchniak, who first came to notice in NWOBPR bands Mach One and Janysium, part of what many call the original "Neo-Prog" scene, and much derided by the Prognoscenti. Still better than the later work, imo.
    Gekko is proggier for sure, but Evolve IV has more hooks than a pirate convention. AOR maybe, but anything but pedestrian. Anyway, good bands. Hope to hear more from Mr. Matuchniak and Co.

Shawn and his BS record label were found guilty in California Federal Court of copyright infringement. I sued him and won. That's why he closed down Mindawn, and ProgRock Records. The stuff this guy pulled on us was appalling. I continue to be contacted by people he cheated either through Progrock Records or one of his other shady business ventures, many of these people are well known in the prog community. He cheated investors and artists alike. I'm sure he's off scamming some other poor unsuspecting people.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Hope to hear more from Mr. Matuchniak and Co.
    He has a couple solo discs out, of which I have the first, Uncover Me. I'd slot it between Gekko Project and Evolve IV, but it didn't make a huge impression on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I'm sure he's off scamming some other poor unsuspecting people.
    He appears to have started a dating site for Mormons.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    He appears to have started a dating site for Mormons.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Shawn and his BS record label were found guilty in California Federal Court of copyright infringement. I sued him and won. That's why he closed down Mindawn, and ProgRock Records. The stuff this guy pulled on us was appalling. I continue to be contacted by people he cheated either through Progrock Records or one of his other shady business ventures, many of these people are well known in the prog community. He cheated investors and artists alike. I'm sure he's off scamming some other poor unsuspecting people.
    What was/is your band?

I was going to mention Mindawn. I thought he sold Mindawn? He acted as though he invented the digital download of something. I always thought it was weird how that girl who I assumed was his girlfriend or wife always used to be very defensive on PE. Anyone remember the name she used here?

The band is Starcastle. The things Shawn pulled on us as well as numerous others is unbelievable. Erik Norlander specifically gave me permission to use his name as someone who got hosed by Shawn, and in fact he wanted to consult with the attorney I used when I sued PRR, theKompany.com, et al. Shawn sold untold thousands of our last CD "Song of Times" and paid us nothing. He one point said that he'd sold 5,000 units in the first 3 weeks after release. He continued to sell right through the lawsuit. Since Gary and I had written most of the music for that CD I sued for copyright infringement. Like so many other crooks he's now slithered into religion.

I always thought it was weird how that girl who I assumed was his girlfriend or wife always used to be very defensive on PE. Anyone remember the name she used here?
    Pretty sure it was Paige