Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Beck

Jeff Beck

I wasn't sure which forum to put this in, but I clearly decided on this one. Has anyone here been to a JB show? Also, anybody read his bio?

Yes and yes. What would you like to know?

Read bio, never had the opportunity to see him. With that said I would align myself with those who place him firmly in the top just behind Hendrix... Incredible talent...

Yes and yes - and would love to see him again. Best JB album/DVD - the Live at Ronnie Scott's set - just fabulous.

Jeff Beck, IMHO, is by far the greatest guitarist who ever lived! As a composer, he suffers, but as a player, he's mind boggling! Agree with the Ronnie Scott's recommendation!

I have seen Jeff on 4 different occasions the first in 1975 on the Blow By Blow tour with the Mahavishnu Orchestra (Visions of Emerald Beyond line up), in 1976 with Jan Hammer, in 1988 with Stevie Ray Vaughan and in 2011 on the Emotion and Commotion tour. Every show was just spectacular. His band are always top notch musicians and his playing is as others said unparalleled. He is a world treasure in my opinion.

Hi Ho Silver Lining !

I don't know if I'd call Beck the "Best guitarist"; what I WOULD say, however, is that he's one of the most unique and recognizable electric guitarists I've had the pleasure to hear. I saw him live, when he was touring with Santana, and he absolutely KILLED that night! No, he doesn't have the technique of Holdsworth (or other guitarists I also admire), but he plays things no one else would think of. I like a lot of his stuff, enough to definitely be called a fan of his. He doesn't have to sing; his guitar does it for him.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Yes & No.

Caught him in '68, a couple of times in '69, and lastly with Beck, Bogert, & Appice in '72. I just missed him with The Yardbirds '66.

Didn't know about the bio; will have to check it out....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Yes and no, also. The guy is a stone cold genius, and he still cranks it up, without living off of his old stuff.

I know, it's tough to say anyone is the "best" guitarist as this is totally subjective. However, to my ears, Jeff has the ability to convey whatever he hears or feels directly to the instrument. I doubt that he has the technical knowledge that the Holdsworths and Vais have, but I think he's gotten to the point where he's gone beyond the need for a technical underpinning to what he does. He simply knows how to make every sound he hears in his mind's eye on the guitar. It's almost as if the guitar is part of him, no different than an arm or a leg.

If you have a chance to see him, don't miss it!

I've seen Jeff Beck in concert about a half-a-dozen times and each time he's been jaw dropping brilliant. He makes playing the guitar look effortless and he appears to be able to make the guitar do exactly what he wants it to do. If anyone is a master or virtuoso at their instrument, it's Jeff Beck.

Jeff Beck is God.

(sorry if that insults anyone's religious beliefs.)

Edit: And yes, I've seen him live. It was very inspirational.

He is the greatest living rock guitarist IMO, though he's in a category of his own. He also is constantly improving. Jeff practices a lot, still, which has to be admired. The first time I saw him was with Beck, Bogart and Appice and have seen him a number of times since. I didn't know he has a biography and will check it out. I also love the fact he's now had two female bass players recently, and especially Tal, who is amazing. Rhonda is also great, I just prefer Tal's playing. We are all so lucky he has decided to return to recording and touring.

For me, Jeff Beck and David Gilmour are pretty much the most emotionally moving rock guitarists - and nobody is technically better than Beck, even if they can play faster notes at greater length.
    'Blow by Blow', 'Wired' and 'Guitar Shop' are probably my three favourite albums, but 'Live at Ronnie Scott's' is wonderful - especially the DVD, which has a longer set-list than the album version (e.g. Imogen Heap's "Blanket", Joss Stone guesting in "People get ready").

No and no. The only chance I really had to see him live fell on a night that I had a night class to teach. I was quite bummed. I'd love to see him. I wouldn't consider him anywhere near the best guitarist ever but do agree that he has the most unique and recognizable style which oozes ingenuity. I had no idea he had a bio out. I'll have to look for it. I'm sure its quite interesting given the wide range of musicians he has played with in his life combined with his own performance anxieties.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I know, it's tough to say anyone is the "best" guitarist as this is totally subjective. However, to my ears, Jeff has the ability to convey whatever he hears or feels directly to the instrument. I doubt that he has the technical knowledge that the Holdsworths and Vais have, but I think he's gotten to the point where he's gone beyond the need for a technical underpinning to what he does. He simply knows how to make every sound he hears in his mind's eye on the guitar. It's almost as if the guitar is part of him, no different than an arm or a leg.

If you have a chance to see him, don't miss it!
    This. In his hands, that Strat has as much range and nuance and expression as a human voice.

IMHO most guitarists start out learning technique first and taste later. Jeff Beck falls squarely in the taste camp. I have never heard another guitar player ooze so much taste from so few notes. In thinking about him again, I have to say, he is my all around favourite guitar player.

Blow By Blow was my intro and I like everything I have heard him do from that album on. Kind of like Miles Davis, he brings on new players a lot. His live stuff on youtube is quite good and clearly he is a great performer.

Saw his Who Else tour, blew my mind. Hes absolutely stunning to see live. I agree with above, stellar guitarist, more taste than he knows what to do with, what he does with that guitar is other worldly. without question in the top five of my faves. Yeah, hes brought me to tears on more than one occasion.The Ronnie Scott dvd is sublime! Tal tears it up. Awesome to see Clapton Beck Page and Colaiuta all mesmerized by her playing.

You can't rank musicians, music isn't a sport, blah blah blah: Beck is the greatest rock guitarist of all time.

He has a muscular lyricism that is amazing to behold. He doesn't record a lot, and like other people have said, he'll never be remembered as a great writer, but as a player he is unparalleled. He's the only guy from that generation of players (with the exception of Richard Thompson) whose playing still sounds dangerous.

NP: Richard Wagner Das Rheingold

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Yes and yes. What would you like to know?
    I'm not exactly sure what I want to know. Maybe confirmation. Due to revisiting early Rod Stewart (the Mercury box), I recently decided to check out the Truth album, and it completely knocked me out. So I decided to check out Jeff Beck's solo albums and watched some of the Live at Ronnie Scotts film. Aside from John 5, I'm not that crazy about instro-guitar albums, but this Jeff Beck cat is fucking incredible. I'm collecting live bootlegs too and would kill (well, at least maim) to see him in person. When I get affected this way by someone's work, I want to know more about them, so I'm gonna get Hot Wired Guitar next payday. I've printed about 90 pages worth of interviews to read until I get the book.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    ...I would align myself with those who place him firmly in the top just behind Hendrix... Incredible talent...
    Based on what I've seen/heard from Live at Ronnie Scotts & other live stuff on YT & a bootleg show a friend gave me, definitely count me in with that bunch.
    Last edited by davis; 01-10-2013 at 08:53 AM.

Becks technique has allways been interesting for a guitarist, but untill Wired this pimp was only vaguely interested, great performancies from Hammer and Walden!
    Who Else ! was a turning point for me allthough the album was a mixed bag, and I was first completely blown away with 'You had it coming' where everything falls into place. Such a modern and unique approach to the guitar.
    He is a great artist who has reinvented himself several times, which one cant say about the 2 other yardbirds guitarist. And his succes with his comeback in 2001 was fully deserved. Personally I find his latest stray into popular tunes a bit too much (Makes me think of The Shadows), but he is impressive and its deeply interesting fpr any guitarist.

Weren't sure which forum to put this in?

Because Beck is a Prog God I guess?
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by adewolf View Post
    Blow By Blow was my intro and I like everything I have heard him do from that album on. Kind of like Miles Davis, he brings on new players a lot. His live stuff on youtube is quite good and clearly he is a great performer.
    BBB was also my intro (bought in in 76, I think) when I was 13.... Didn't like it (thought it was too soft)... but obcviously I wasn't ready for that kind of stuff.... especially with Sir George Martin ruining it withkitsch string arrangements... took me a few years to try out Beck again (Truth, bought circa 79)...

I heard a few albums since that dreaded Flash album, notably with that Wilkenfield chick as bassistà.... but some of them early 90's things are WTF albums???

I still think his best stuff was the Middleton/Powell days (but there were a few misses on those albums as well)... I also like the Live with Jan Hammer album.... but he never made an album that I would rate above 11 on Gnosis (that's the JHG thing), and the rest of them max 9... Simply never materialized or gelled in the studio
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.