Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Beck

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by Watanabe View Post
    Frampton was an excellent player
    While I believe Jeff Beck is an entire guitar universe unto himself, Peter Frampton also possesses a uniquely identifiable sound and voice; to me he's a master of melody and has an interesting way of blending blues-type licks with major-scale flourishes. I wish I could play half as well, I consider him a beautiful and passionate musician.

Jeff Beck? Can't really say any more than what's already been said; the man stands alone. He's one of the most emotional players out there, it's like he's the Sarah Vaughn of guitar or something. His phrasing is fuckin' out of this world -- the things he says on the guitar blow (by blow) my mind. Truly a treasure and an icon as far was taking electric guitar playing into formerly uncharted waters.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I second rapidfirerob on that Frampton instrumental album..it's really good.

Jeff Beck is.....(Wait for it...).......Sui Generis.

(Private joke for Rapidfirerob).

Seriously, though, everyone who likes instrumental guitar fusion should own Blow by Blow, Wired, and There and Back. You need those albums.
    I warned you about that sui generis thing.

It's cool to be at a JB show and hear half the crowd exhale in amazement at the same time. 75, 77 or 78, 99, 11. Watching a Les Paul doc on PBS it seemed to me that LP blazed a lot of the trail JB has been on.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    One of the best concerts I've seen in the last five years was Jeff Beck a few years ago. Stellar band and he was beyond magnificent.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I didn't read the whole thread but did anyone mention Truth by Jeff Beck and Rod the Mod singing? Stellar.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I saw him and SRV on the same billing. Of course, they performed some pieces together. Great show. Great guitarists.

He's currently working with Brian Wilson and God only knows what those 2 will come up with. It's the 2007 JBG btw,with Tal,Vinnie,Jason. Personally I can't wait to get some samples,teasers whatever.

n.p.Llama-Phish.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I didn't read the whole thread but did anyone mention Truth by Jeff Beck and Rod the Mod singing? Stellar.
    You are the first. It's great stuff to be sure along with Beck-Ola.

I also recommend Blow By Blow. At one time I had Wired, and There And Back. I see budget CDs of BBB all the time at some bricks and mortar stores but never seem to see Wired anywhere. BBB and Wired are really the only Jeff Beck albums I like. I bought Truth years ago and just didn't like it. Jeff Beck is a monster talent, but for whatever reason I've just never really liked his tone or style much.

1974 - Gear talk.

What in God's name is Jeff doing playing with Johnny Depp? This is musical shark jumping, IMHO. Next thing you know, he'll be touring with Taylor Swift.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    What in God's name is Jeff doing playing with Johnny Depp? This is musical shark jumping, IMHO. Next thing you know, he'll be touring with Taylor Swift.
    AFAIK they are personal friends.

Heard him in the Yardbirds when I was a kid and thought he was amazing then. I liked "Beck's Boogie" and it reminded me of Les Paul.

I really liked his playing on TRUTH..but was not a fan of Rod Stewart's voice.
    ROUGH AND READY always impressed me and the songwriting on that album is hauntingly beautiful to me!! "JODY", ""IVE BEEN USED", ..all the songs on that album are unique to me and it is to my understanding that Jeff Beck wrote several of them...and I don't believe he continued that style of writing because he became an instrumentalist?? I believe??

BLOW BY BLOW and WIRED were fun albums . I love his style. On Zeuhlmate's video post Jeff Beck says that he likes keeping the guitar tuned to 4/40 when playing slide . That's hard to do. This is news to me.

WHO ELSE...and GUITAR SHOP are two of my favorites. He has a fine tone on the guitar and I like his choice of notes when he improvises...or maybe he doesn't choose anything at all and it just happens naturally. He is great

Not sure why he thinks doing a record with Johnny Depp is a great move. For a lot of reasons, some not musical in nature.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Inside The Friendship Between Johnny Depp And Jeff Beck

https://www.grunge.com/882069/inside...and-jeff-beck/

Honestly, that article explains nothing. And I cannot fathom this- Depp is a convicted abuser, and not someone I will ever knowingly support. And I love Jeff Beck. But I won't get this disc.

When Jeff Beck visited Denmark & Norway last time (this year), Depp was with him as support.
    A friend of mine saw them in Oslo and was a bit puzzled that Depps band played last, because it was (off course) not in the same league as Jeff Beck.

PE Member since 7/14/2001 rushfan's Avatar
    Still the best guitarist I've ever seen live. The first time I saw him was on the There and Back tour with Simon Phillips, just an awesome performance. Possibly the best show I've ever seen with him was when he had Stevie Ray Vaughan open for him in 1989 touring Guitar Shop, 1999 with Jennifer Batten, and then earlier this month. Such a varied palate, no one can duplicate what he does. Some setlists from the shows I attended:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jeff-...-338744c9.html
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jeff-...-43ce3347.html
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/stevi...-2bdae8ca.html (Stevie Ray opener)
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jeff-...-13b1f9b5.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Depp is a convicted abuser
    Incorrect.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    When Jeff Beck visited Denmark & Norway last time (this year), Depp was with him as support.
    A friend of mine saw them in Oslo and was a bit puzzled that Depps band played last, because it was (off course) not in the same league as Jeff Beck.
    Saw Beck last summer with Paul Rogers. Rogers closed the show but was underwhelming after Beck.

Incorrect.
    You are correct; he was guilty of defamation, as was she. So he is an unconvicted abuser.

Quote Originally Posted by Enidi View Post
    WHO ELSE...and GUITAR SHOP are two of my favorites. He has a fine tone on the guitar and I like his choice of notes when he improvises...or maybe he doesn't choose anything at all and it just happens naturally. He is great
    Yes, more love for Guitar Shop. Everyone must know how kickass that record is!

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    You are correct; he was guilty of defamation, as was she. So he is an unconvicted abuser.
    You're forgetting that Amber Heard is an abuser.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Yes, more love for Guitar Shop. Everyone must know how kickass that record is!
    That is a great album.

You're forgetting that Amber Heard is an abuser.
    Have not, but that is beside the point. My point is, why is Beck playing with this man? He's vile. And better than that, why defend him?