Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Beck

The only time I ever saw him live was way back in the late '60s when Rod Stewart was his singer and Ron Wood was his bass player. I've blown every opportunity to see him live ever since, which I could kick myself for. Love the "Live at Ronnie Scott's" video!

Everything I wanted to say about him has already been said here. He's not a chopsmeister or the most harmonically knowlegeable guy, but his approach to the guitar is totally unique; he basically invented his own language with it. He's one with the instrument and his playing just oozes with personality. The man is truly one of a kind!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post

Everything I wanted to say about him has already been said here. He's not a chopsmeister or the most harmonically knowlegeable guy, but his approach to the guitar is totally unique; he basically invented his own language with it. He's one with the instrument and his playing just oozes with personality. The man is truly one of a kind!
    You took the words right outta my mouth!

His influence is everywhere, e.g., Steve Lukather, Eddy Van Halen, Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani, etc.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

And Ray Gomez !

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    ... I find his latest stray into popular tunes a bit too much (Makes me think of The Shadows)...
    I like The Shadows/The Ventures I really like surf rock in general. What I meant about guitar-instro albums was I generally avoid albums by guitar gods (Vai, Satriani, Buckethead, Krieger, etc) because I've heard samples or listened on YT. Jeff Beck's stuff, I now find, I love (at least what I've heard so far). As of yesterday his website shows no upcoming concert dates. I hope he comes around here sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    Weren't sure which forum to put this in?

Because Beck is a Prog God I guess?
    because I didn't know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    BBB was also my intro (bought in in 76, I think) when I was 13.... Didn't like it (thought it was too soft)... ...
    that was my feeling too, when I recorded BBB and Wired to audio cassette for a friend around that same time. I still feel that way, but I'm thinking they may grow on me. I didn't like that cover of "She's A Woman" and still don't; don't like that mouthpiece effect. Isn't that what Frampton used on one of his songs? DYFLWD, right?
    Last edited by davis; 01-10-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Regarding Ronny Scott's - I too completely love it, but does anyone else think the mix is a bit weird? There is practially NO audience sound on it - or something ... or it's sort of muffled? I can't expliain clearly, just wondering if anyone else went "what's up with that mix?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    Regarding Ronny Scott's ..."
    Is Tal Wilkenfeld really that good a bass player? I mean, I'm sure she's not there just cause she's cute. I don't really know what constitutes a good bassist.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Is Tal Wilkenfeld really that good a bass player? I mean, I'm sure she's not there just cause she's cute. I don't really know what constitutes a good bassist.
    Well look at Beck bowing to her after her solo. Shes on stage with Beck, and Clapton. Shes hung with Colaiuta in his rhythm section. She's been said to be the next Jaco. I'd say that's pretty effin good!

I also like the Live with Jan Hammer album.... but he never made an album that I would rate above 11 on Gnosis (that's the JHG thing), and the rest of them max 9... Simply never materialized or gelled in the studio
    I just picked that one up a year or so ago and although the vocals suck, the playing on it is scarey! With the exception of Blow by Blow, I don't think any of Jeff's studio records stand up to his live documents. His "official bootleg" series, to me, are the definitive versions of his music.

He definitely cedes way to much control to the producer and his collaborators on his studio outings.

Strip away all that stuff and you get to what really matters: Jeff's guitar playing!

I don't know either since there are so many factors, but she's got a bunch of 'em. Taste, tone, melodic sense, feel for harmonics, supple execution. It's really something to behold.

Another reason seeing them live was even better than the Ronnie Scott's vid was the fun factor:

because I didn't know that.

that was my feeling too, when I recorded BBB and Wired to audio cassette for a friend around that same time. I still feel that way, but I'm thinking they may grow on me. I didn't like that cover of "She's A Woman" and still don't; don't like that mouthpiece effect. Isn't that what Frampton used on one of his songs? DYFLWD, right?
    Blow By Blow is one of the greatest albums ever recorded IMO, with Wired being a great album as well. George Martin produced this amazing album. Cause We've Ended As Lovers was dedicated to Roy Buchanan and an acknowledgement to Stevie Wonder. It's all taste, but I don't know how anyone could not love this album. The strings Martin put on the last song of each side mesh perfectly as well.
    You're referring to a talk box with regards to Frampton and Joe Walsh, too, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    ...You're referring to a talk box with regards to Frampton and Joe Walsh, too, of course.
    That's right. I'd forgotten that JW used it. imo it should be used for effects in b-movies; then I'd probably dig it. with these guys, uh-uh.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    I don't know either since there are so many factors, but she's got a bunch of 'em. Taste, tone, melodic sense, feel for harmonics, supple execution. It's really something to behold...
    Another reason seeing them live was even better than the Ronnie Scott's vid was the fun factor:
    Okay, she didn't appear to be intimidated or flustered that he did that. She kept on playing & shared the instrument/spotlight. that's reeks of solid foundation, self-confidence & professionalism. no further questions yer honor. I must get a copy of that film.

Love this clip, her expression at the final note of her solo is brilliant, then she breaks into a big girly grin.
    Last edited by daven; 01-10-2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: learned vid embedding

I love that clip! There is such an amazing musical and extra-musical feeling in that 1:30. I only wish I could inspire such joy through my own music. Inspiring stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    His "official bootleg" series, to me, are the definitive versions of his music.
    And those are available where?

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Bootl.../dp/B000P28RAS
    I checked other sites. It's expensive everywhere. Anymore info?

Blow By Blow is one of the greatest albums ever recorded IMO, with Wired being a great album as well. George Martin produced this amazing album. Cause We've Ended As Lovers was dedicated to Roy Buchanan and an acknowledgement to Stevie Wonder.
    Stevie Wonder wrote the tune for his ex-wife, Syreeta Wright, who recorded it before Jeff Beck did.

The definitive bootlegs used to be available at Jeff Becks website.

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Bootl.../dp/B000P28RAS
    I checked other sites. It's expensive everywhere. Anymore info?
    I lucked out and found one in a used store here in Ottawa...$9.95. What a deal...and they are great.

If you look at amazon uk you can get one new for 12.99GBP which ain't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Stevie Wonder wrote the tune for his ex-wife, Syreeta Wright, who recorded it before Jeff Beck did.

Thanks for pointing this out. I did know this. Stevie Wonder is also in a class by himself. I was privileged to see him in concert about six or seven years ago or so.

> His "official bootleg" series, to me, are the definitive versions of his music. <
    Truer words were never spoken! In 2006 I bought one at the end of the gig I had just seen where he dissassembled the known universe with his guitar, sprayed the notes with Fruit Loop dust and spewed them back out in radioactive wino vomit. The man is proof to me of the existence of God. The CD was from just a few nights earlier in that tour and for 3 weeks I could listen to nothing else. I tracked down a second copy and gave one as a gift to Mike Portnoy when LTE played NEARfest.

Didn't think Wired was too soft at all... Didn't like it much either at first (at a friend's house).... just too technical and cold

and yeah, Beck is much better live.... but next time you compare Jeff to Frampton, I will pound your face at recess, ok!?!?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

next time you compare Jeff to Frampton, I will pound your face at recess, ok!?!?
    you'll be staying in the principal's office for threatening me I don't think there IS any comparing those two.

Didn't think Wired was too soft at all... Didn't like it much either at first (at a friend's house).... just too technical and cold

and yeah, Beck is much better live.... but next time you compare Jeff to Frampton, I will pound your face at recess, ok!?!?
    As for being too soft, I was accustomed to Foghat, GFR, Golden Earring, Deep Purple etc at the time, so to me it sounded kind of tame. That said, you'll be in the principal's office for threatening me I don't think there's any comparing those 2 cats' guitar playing skills.