Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Snownado 2016

Snownado 2016

Just like Sharknado but with snow!

Here in wonderful Long Island , NY we got upped overnight from estimates of 6 to 11" to 12 to 24" . We now have 35mph steady wind and heavy snow at 9am Sat. Its the end of the world as we know it, according to the TV anyway.

We're going to see about 12 to 24 in Stamford Ct by the time this thing ends.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I heard Jim Cantore got eaten by a ferocious penguin. beware of the tuxedo...
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Are they recording a live album?

Received about 6" of snow and perhaps 1/2" of ice since late Thursday night - - - crippled this town for a bit, but everything's OK and I was able to get out today with some effort.

Best of luck to all and be safe.

Looking out at 20 or so inches of blowing white stuff.
    The little weather station says 15mph winds, but they look stronger than that.
    My cabin fevered neighbors got out and played around.
    I, on the other hand, will probably not set foot out till tomorrow some time.
    The dogs seem to deal with it ok in 5 minute increments. They enjoy being toweled off.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

shoveled numerous times and it just keeps coming.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I have 12" and lots of white stuff just keeps coming.

My wife got 9 inches today

> 7" ( not that much though ) and hard to tell how much snow with all the drifting. Anywhere from 15" to 2'. Its heavy stuff too. The snow blower was really struggling.

The last I checked the snow on my deck was 29 1/2 inches deep. My neighbors car across the street is completely covered, you can't see any of it. Just a pile of snow about 10 feet high.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Strange to hear all these stories about so much snow south of here and we'll probably just end up with 4" or 5".

I'm glad I live in California. People here couldn't handle the snow. Even when there is a light rain, the people freak and the roads grid to a stand-still. And many cry that it's cold if it's below 60 degrees! I laugh at the morons! I tell them they have no idea what real cold is, and tell them stories of my early camping days. One in particular about a completely frozen as a rock water canteen. Go figure, and good luck to all in the East.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

we easily got 2 feet here is Bucks County part of SE PA. best catch phrase/storm name I heard was Snowmygod.

I'm glad I live in California. People here couldn't handle the snow.
    My sister-in-law moved to California from North Dakota a few decades ago. But for some reason she never got rid of her ND driver's license. At some point in the late 80s, her and her husband were driving from LA north to a ski resort. At some point in their journey, snow from the Sierras moved SW and the freeway they were driving on got snow. In an area that never sees snow. Brother-in-law freaks so she took over driving. It was about an inch of powder so for her it was a piece of cake. Cars are going in the ditch right and left. Then there's no cars. Then there's a CHP blocking the freeway. He told them the road into ski country was closed. My sister-in-law digs in her purse and pulls out her old North Dakota license. "This says I can drive in this." The patrolman takes a good look, hands it back to her, and says, "hell, you could drive this better than me. Go on, the freeway is yours."

But even in metropolitan areas that regularly get snow, you've got a lot of people that don't know what the hell they're doing. I lived in the Twin Cities for twenty years and every time we had a storm there was always a ton of accidents because some dipshits just didn't have enough brains to know how to drive in the stuff. Rule #1 is always, if you don't know how to drive in snow, stay home. Rule #2, even if you do know how to drive in snow, stay home because some moron is out there that doesn't know what the hell they're doing.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    My wife got 9 inches today
    My wife had 10 inches up the backdoor.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    My wife had 10 inches up the backdoor.

A straight line I'm finding hard to resist. If I were to give in it would be along the lines of questioning your presense during said event. But I have to much respect and will continue my silence. Sort of........

What does some of you in when it snows is that you're not equipped to remove the snow and you all have summer tires on your cars year round. Up here in Montreal we have one of the most effective snow removal systems of any large city and in the province of Quebec snow tires are mandatory from mid December to mid March. Not 4 season tires...snow tires. And yet, after the first snowfall, people still don't seem to know how to drive. I chalk it up to a different reaction time between looking at the road and looking at your text messages. In the snow, you need to cut that Tweet down by a word or two in order to look up a little faster.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Just read that several died trying to shovel snow !

Suspended
    This "snow" stuff sounds awful. Glad we don't get it here.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    I'm glad I live in California. People here couldn't handle the snow. Even when there is a light rain, the people freak and the roads grid to a stand-still. And many cry that it's cold if it's below 60 degrees! I laugh at the morons! I tell them they have no idea what real cold is, and tell them stories of my early camping days. One in particular about a completely frozen as a rock water canteen. Go figure, and good luck to all in the East.
    I'm one of those people of whom you speak. I lived in the Phoenix area most of my life, and never before in my life have driven in snow. I would be an absolute menace on the roads.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    I'm glad I don't live in the state which has the highest probability of massive earthquake. The east coast has a high probability of a crippling storm, winter or hurricane. I'll just plan for it, it will happen. The worst is a power outage here in Maryland, if you stay off the roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I'm glad I don't live in the state which has the highest probability of massive earthquake. The east coast has a high probability of a crippling storm, winter or hurricane. I'll just plan for it, it will happen. The worst is a power outage here in Maryland, if you stay off the roads.
    True enough. I'm old enough to have ridden off some of the bigger quakes in the last 50 years here in So. Cal. Very scary is a fact, but I've been lucky enough to have survived and not experience any major damages. The biggest were the 1971 Sylmar quake and the bigger 1994 Northridge quake. I hope my luck holds out. Read the news as of late. Although California is overdue for a major quake event, the geologists have now predicted an even bigger catastrophe for the Pacific Northwest, that will probably completely destroy Seattle and Portland, with thousands of casualties. Such is life on planet Earth. But remember we are not safe from any major disasters wherever we live. If the entire U.S grid comes down, ALL of us are in deep do do!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    What does some of you in when it snows is that you're not equipped to remove the snow and you all have summer tires on your cars year round. Up here in Montreal we have one of the most effective snow removal systems of any large city and in the province of Quebec snow tires are mandatory from mid December to mid March. Not 4 season tires...snow tires. And yet, after the first snowfall, people still don't seem to know how to drive. I chalk it up to a different reaction time between looking at the road and looking at your text messages. In the snow, you need to cut that Tweet down by a word or two in order to look up a little faster.
    We don't get all that much snow - usually anywhere between 4" - 8" maybe 3-4 times per season. They really don't invest in snow removal vehicles/technologies because of this infrequency. There are tire shops that sell "winter" tires - and lots of people I know don't even use the "all season" tires (too noisy) - - - and just keep the summer tires on all year long.

They keep the main roads pretty clear for the most part - but the secondary and side roads need sunlight and warmer weather to clear - which can take time and lead to school closings - - - we missed 7 days last winter season. We got about 6" of snow on Friday into Saturday, and our streets are still pretty bad = but we shoveled our (steep) driveway and got out yesterday just fine. We have my Mom's SUV though - which is a 4WD vehicle and it pretty much handles anything this region can dish out.

Having grown up where I did - we usually had plenty of warning when a major snow event was on the horizon - and prepared accordingly. Sometimes were were socked in for several days - - - Blizzard of 1977 was a 47" snowfall over 3 days and were just fine for almost a week . . . but everyone was out with snow-mobiles & horses too . . . my Dad worked part time for the town and rode my sled down the mountain (1.5 miles) to the plow shed and got to work.

Yves - you know about all of this for sure - - - we got hammered so many times in my youth, but also had a blast at the same time.

There are inexperienced and fucking stupid drivers everywhere - and many transplants to this region have zero skills in hard weather like this. We constantly see cars off the road even with a dusting (<1"). We just stay in-house until it's fairly safe - - -

LOL - I remember one time when Mike and I were driving back from a TMB show at the Spectrum in Montreal. We stayed in town for that Saturday night show - and got out early on Sunday morning. There was a snow flurry that morning - and the roads were still in pretty good shape. We just crossed over the river when this fucking huge, brand new Mercedes passed us on the left - - - easily going 90 mph. They suddenly decided to change lanes and completely lost control . . . did a bunch of 360's and slid over into the median. We stopped to assist - - - the door opened with a VERY strong odor of urine - this young Pakistani (female) doctor just moved to Montreal the week prior to work with her Dad (McGill professor) - - - live and learn.

2 hour dig out. Done.
    Some of my neighbors went out the the blizzard yesterday to dig for an hour or so and were back out doing the same today.
    I did have to carve a path through the 30in drift outside the back door last night so my dogs could get some relief.
    Just one momentary power blip this morning. We were out for almost 12 hours during Snowmageddon 2010.
    We sometimes have another storm before Valentine's day. I hope not.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain