Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wirelessly Connecting PC to Stereo

There has been a sort of interesting thread on the Squeezebox community forum from the guy that does the vortexbox.
    He has cobbled together a sub-$100 player out of a Pogoplug and a usb dac. Logitech-SqueezeBox-replacement-for-under-30
    The community has been taking on the lack of Logitech interest in the product.
    Not a long term solution, I suppose, but it means the availability of players is not as much of an issue.

mark
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Kristi
    OK- Interesting. 65,000 file limit, I did not know that. We have about 550 gigs of music, but in terms of numbers of files, I've never checked. Hm. You are correct about being hard wired to the router. They have the Bridges though, that i think can solve that problem if the router is a problem with signal strength due to distance. We are truly hitting the ceiling of my knowledge of the technical aspects though (which obviously isn't much), so I won't embarrass myself by trying to talk about this further. It's too bad that it wouldn't work for you though. It's a great system.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    There has been a sort of interesting thread on the Squeezebox community forum from the guy that does the vortexbox.
    He has cobbled together a sub-$100 player out of a Pogoplug and a usb dac. Logitech-SqueezeBox-replacement-for-under-30
    The community has been taking on the lack of Logitech interest in the product.
    Not a long term solution, I suppose, but it means the availability of players is not as much of an issue.

mark
    Thanks for posting that, I should have realized that someone would have to come with something

This is such an addictive, over the top way to listen to your library - I doubt any devotees are going to give it up so easily

Going to look into that Winamp situation as far as streaming as well

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PindralProgger View Post
    Me too and with Airfoil one can stream any audio from say a browser or anything that uses the computer's soundcard from a PC or Mac.
    I use AudioGalaxy to stream music from my PC to my iPhone or iPod while away from my home network.
    Chad

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Kristi, been scouring the forums looking for a potential replacement for my Duets down the road and there is one deal breaker for the Sonos - apparently there is a 65,000 file limit on libraries, and mine is beyond that.

I also believe, although not sure on this point, that at least one Connect needs to be hard wired to the router - my router and PC are in the basement, neither home theater is down there

At this point in time , there really doesn't seem to be an alternative for what I'm doing now - hopefully the hardware lasts for quite some time until something does hit the market

BG
    The AirportExpress (or AppleTV) doesn't suit your needs? Whichever you choose is under $100 and very easy to setup. Unless of course you don't want to use iTunes...
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire Nexus View Post
    The AirportExpress (or AppleTV) doesn't suit your needs? Whichever you choose is under $100 and very easy to setup. Unless of course you don't want to use iTunes...
    That's it exactly - I was interested in streaming, possibly to airport express, using an interface other than Itunes

I looked at my buds set up Sunday - he is using Winamp to stream to his server but his version didn't look remotely as cool as the Squeeze Commander App I currently use

Looking at the Squeezebox forum other devotees are feverishly working on alternatives

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

iTunes sucks if you're running it from a PC.

There are SO MANY better ways to play music than iTunes.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally