Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lesser-Known Jam Bands

TRAFFIC - Dear Mr. Fantasy (LIVE 1972) Steve Winwood

Railroad Earth
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by prestonplatform View Post
    Consider The Source are deserving of some discussion check out this positive DPRP review

http://www.dprp.net/reviews/201591.p...siderthesource
    Agreed Consider The Source are great. I just did not mention them because they were in the original post, but they are a very cool band who tour constantly.

Another good ProgDay alumni who is pretty jammy is Quantum Fantay.

Moom

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Got an album by a band called Garaj Mahal somewhere. Blueberry Cave. It's not that good though.
    IMO Garaj Mahal is more fusion than Jam Band, but opinions vary, BTW I like them and have all of their releases. Then again I have quite a few of Fareed Haque's other releases as well

^ I thought Blueberry Cave was nice enough, it just didn't make a big impression on me. I understand some of their other releases are more highly rated, so maybe I just got the wrong one. They're good musicians, for sure.

Tea Leaf Green. By the way you can hear a lot of these bands on livearchive.org

I know that people have labelled TRAFFIC as a jam band but I don't hear it. To me , jam bands are descendants of The Dead or Phish.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I just recently started a thread about Papadosio and the mantras and it fizzled out real quick!!! Have tickets to see them both tonight at the Fillmore in Charlotte !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Doing a little searching around the interwebs, and there seem to be some lesser-known jam bands I've never heard of. The two I just came across seem to both be from North Carolina: The Mantras and Papadosio. Then there's Consider The Source, who played at ProgDay a few years back.

Anyone familiar with the first two I mentioned?

Anyone have any recommendations for more obscure jam bands? Not sure if there's much I'll like, or much need for it given there are so many Phish, Umphrey's, Ozrics, etc. recordings out there. Just thought I'd stir up some conversation!

Well, just got a message from Groupon( that is how I originally got turned onto Papadosio), due to the weather, the show has been rescheduled till March..

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    ... jam bands are descendants of The Dead or Phish.
    Tell that to the Allman Brothers Band.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I know that people have labelled TRAFFIC as a jam band but I don't hear it. To me , jam bands are descendants of The Dead or Phish.
    They were more of a jam band live. Dave Mason has his Traffic Jam live show that he does. I've never seen it but I would imagine with the name of the band it's jamming. I could be wrong though. Wouldn't be the first time.

FWIW, Traffic (the 90's Winwood/Capaldi reunion version) opened for the Dead the only time I saw them with Garcia, in 1994. Garcia was at the side of the stage applauding after some of the songs.

My favorite Jam Band (up there with the Grateful Dead/the Other Ones) is the Steve Kimock Band. No other lesser-knowns close. Great tone & fluidity, with solid melodies. I couldn't take the time to go through all the YouTube vids, but here's a nice sampling...

One from an earlier band, KVHW:

and one for all the Beatles fans. This is Steve Kimock with friends:

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    My favorite Jam Band (up there with the Grateful Dead/the Other Ones) is the Steve Kimock Band. No other lesser-knowns close. Great tone & fluidity, with solid melodies.
    Steve's played with many jam bands throughout the years. I saw him a few years ago. Sat right in front of him. He came out on stage right before the show to make sure everything was right, look and me and my son and said "you guys are going to get your asses kicked tonight." He was right.

I am not much into Jam Bands. I have few releases by the ones that more border on fusion. Two of my favorites are more on the funky side.

Galactic
    Particle

Also, got into this band a few years ago called Mamma Sutra. Described as a soulful funky mix of Dead and Zappa.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Tell that to the Allman Brothers Band.
    I suppose the genre has different roots. I was stating that when I think of the term "jam band" I think of Phish as the poster boys, so I look at who influenced them and who they influenced. The Allmans I consider "blues"...but labels, eh?

Govt Mule deserve to be mentioned here and are perhaps the one jam band who make it to the UK regularly. Umphreys came over a couple of years ago and were excellent but the shows had more travelling fans than people from the UK in attendance. It's really a shame.

Ha! Talking about the Allmans had me wondering if Gov't Mule should also be considered and then I open this thread and there they are! Not sure if Traffic, The Allmans, Gov't Mule fall under the "lesser known" portion of the OP's request though.

Not sure if Soulive counts as they are somehat known, built I like em. Also their guitarist Eric Krasno's Chapter 2.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    I just recently started a thread about Papadosio and the mantras and it fizzled out real quick!!! Have tickets to see them both tonight at the Fillmore in Charlotte !!!
    What made me start this thread was finding a TON of live Papadosio and Mantras recordings on a torrent site. I'd never heard of either band , and wanted to find out how widely known they were. If you can reccomend a good live date you know for either band, please do.

Ha! Talking about the Allmans had me wondering if Gov't Mule should also be considered and then I open this thread and there they are! Not sure if Traffic, The Allmans, Gov't Mule fall under the "lesser known" portion of the OP's request though.
    But Glass Harp definitely meets the request's specification.

Last edited by Jay.Dee; 01-24-2016 at 11:17 AM.

Yeah, and if you follow Jam Bands at all most of the ones listed here are in fact Well Known and not lesser known

Quote Originally Posted by R_burke View Post
    Yeah, and if you follow Jam Bands at all most of the ones listed here are in fact Well Known and not lesser known
    True, but I took the OP to mean "lesser-known" among Progressive Rock fans.

Oh, and I have quite a few friends who are Jam Band fans, who follow the scene, attend the shows, etc. They would never consider Traffic or Glass Harp to be Jam Bands.

Don't know if they fit in here but their band name sure does: Jam Camp