Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lesser-Known Jam Bands

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Lesser-Known Jam Bands

Doing a little searching around the interwebs, and there seem to be some lesser-known jam bands I've never heard of. The two I just came across seem to both be from North Carolina: The Mantras and Papadosio. Then there's Consider The Source, who played at ProgDay a few years back.

Anyone familiar with the first two I mentioned?

Anyone have any recommendations for more obscure jam bands? Not sure if there's much I'll like, or much need for it given there are so many Phish, Umphrey's, Ozrics, etc. recordings out there. Just thought I'd stir up some conversation!

Ozric Tentacles

I mention them only because they aren't that well known as a jam band(at least to us). However, I'm sure most people on there know about them.

There's the string cheese incident and Moe. Those two are fairly known in jam band circles though.

You mentioned Progday. There was a band who played there a few years ago or so called Out of the Beardspace who are apparently jammy.

North Mississippi All-Stars
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quite familiar with The Mantras. Being from NC, they tour pretty heavily around here and I see them every chance I get. Really talented musicians that just keep getting better and better.

Aquarium Rescue Unit
    STS9 (especially their older live material from the early 2000s)
    Tauk
    Toubab Krewe
    Kung Fu
    Tiny Boxes (ex-Gong guitar player Bon Lozaga's band)
    Lotus (especially the albums Nomad and Escaping Sargasso Sea)
    Medeski Martin & Wood
    The New Deal

There is a band called Tauk who I will be seeing opening for Umphrey’s a week from Saturday. I have checked out some of their stuff and dig it a lot.

Another good one is Particle. I only have their first album but it is excellent.

Thank You Scientists is kind of jammy in spots. You may have seen them at ProgDay or ROSfest.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    There is a band called Tauk who I will be seeing opening for Umphrey’s a week from Saturday. I have checked out some of their stuff and dig it a lot.

Another good one is Particle. I only have their first album but it is excellent.

Thank You Scientists is kind of jammy in spots. You may have seen them at ProgDay or ROSfest.
    I have tix for Umphrey's this Saturday, though I may not be able to go. Didn't even think about the weather, but that could be a factor too. But it might make the show more fun. But anyway, Tauk is opening then too.

I saw Thank You Scientist on CTTE, and loved them. They're a lot like Coheed & Cambria and
    The Mars Volta.

Disco Biscuits
    The Space Spectrum
    Krautzone
    Reversed Nature
    Oresund Space Collective
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Jam bands always seemed to be a US phenomenon to me.
    I'm not aware of any jam bands here in the UK - Man were probably the nearest we've had! (there's an opportunity here for someone to prove me wrong)
    Its our loss really - I have a particular fondness for Phish above any of the others I've heard.
    I've never been to a concert by any jam band and I think its my loss - there's never a great incentive to go to consecutive shows on any tour here to hear changing setlists.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post

Please report back with your impressions of Tauk.

A few I enjoy:

Aqueous:

The Breakfast:

Ultraviolet Hippopotamus:

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    Jam bands always seemed to be a US phenomenon to me.
    I'm not aware of any jam bands here in the UK - Man were probably the nearest we've had! (there's an opportunity here for someone to prove me wrong)
    Its our loss really - I have a particular fondness for Phish above any of the others I've heard.
    I've never been to a concert by any jam band and I think its my loss - there's never a great incentive to go to consecutive shows on any tour here to hear changing setlists.
    I am a huge Umphrey’s McGee fan, who in my opinion, are the proggiest of the all of the current jam bands here. I think they have tried touring Europe, but never made many inroads there and are much bigger on this side of the pond. I never really thought about it much before, but yes it does seem to be more of an American phenomenon.
    Last edited by SteveSly; 01-22-2016 at 01:45 PM.

Blue Floyd. Excellent.

Yonder Mountain String Band
    Leftover Salmon
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I just heard about this band called Simo who sound really good. Very retro, bluesy psychedelic.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SIMOtheband

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Doing a little searching around the interwebs, and there seem to be some lesser-known jam bands I've never heard of. The two I just came across seem to both be from North Carolina: The Mantras and Papadosio. Then there's Consider The Source, who played at ProgDay a few years back.

Anyone familiar with the first two I mentioned?

Anyone have any recommendations for more obscure jam bands? Not sure if there's much I'll like, or much need for it given there are so many Phish, Umphrey's, Ozrics, etc. recordings out there. Just thought I'd stir up some conversation!
    I listen to and like Papadosio - here's a link to 24 bit Flac files of a fairly recent concert https://archive.org/details/papadosio2015-11-15

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Blue Floyd. Excellent.
    YEs, they were. Forgot about them.

Talk about some long shows.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm kinda surprised Widespread Panic hasn't been mentioned.

The Breakfast set I posted above is a really good show. Too band the audience only outnumbers the band by a margin of 3 to 1.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I'm kinda surprised Widespread Panic hasn't been mentioned.
    I've heard of them just forgot about them.

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    There was Ozric Tentacles, but they moved to the US (after changing personnel some).

Spacefreak, I like Oresund Space Collective!

Oh, The Spacious Mind!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    moe.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Consider The Source are deserving of some discussion check out this positive DPRP review

http://www.dprp.net/reviews/201591.p...siderthesource

also Switzerland's GINGER can apply.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Got an album by a band called Garaj Mahal somewhere. Blueberry Cave. It's not that good though.