Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lesser-Known Jam Bands

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Oh, and I have quite a few friends who are Jam Band fans, who follow the scene, attend the shows, etc. They would never consider Traffic or Glass Harp to be Jam Bands.
    And what would they say on Primus?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    And what would they say on Primus?
    That's a good question. They don't fuss about genres and subgenres like Prog fans do, and might just point the inquirer to Jambase. I did go see Primus once with some of them, so they're at least in their area of interest. But to actually answer your question, I don't know. Primus is fairly removed from their "wheelhouse bands."

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The Umphreys show in NYC last night was cancelled due to the white stuff. I really was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to go, even before the snow, so I'm psyched - I don't have to eat the price of a pair of tix!

If the Ozric's are considered to be a jam band then I'll have to retract my "never seen a jam band" statement.
    I've seen the Ozrics once - on the tour prior to the release of the Pongmaster's Ball live CD set (2001/2?).
    I don't want to encourage a "what is/isn't a jam band" discussion but I'd assumed that OT typically played a standard set of tunes but improvised some/most of these within a fixed framework - and that's not what I thought made a true "jam" band.
    I always thought that the jam band's I've listened to on disc (and ROIO's) such as Phish and Widespread Panic would go out of their way to avoid playing the same song/tune on consecutive shows (sometimes more irregularly than this). That is what determines a true jam band in my book - ever changing setlists in addition to improvisational sections to no pre-determined length.