Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Games - where we can talk about video games

It appears to be a common problem. Lots of theories and fixes out there

https://en-americas-support.nintendo...e/comment/8334
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I am about 50% done with my MAME project.

When we bought our home, the previous owners left their Golden Tee arcade console in the garage. The guy had a few gaming consoles, slot machines, etc. We've since found out that he would work on them as a hobby. The unit he left wasn't in the best shape. I originally wanted to contact a gaming shop or Craigslist the SOB eyesore outta here! One day, I started inspecting the unit to see how these things are built. I had an idea to researched emulators. I decided to make a Pandora's Box MAME.

With the assistance of a friend of mine, we began to disassemble the unit.

I designed the graphics and did some test prints of the marquee. Most marquee artwork is printed on translucent film, then a clear acrylic piece covers the face. Light shines through the film to illuminate the graphic. I used modern technology and eliminated the film. Film is often opaque and not very clear. Instead, I cut new clear acrylic and printed directly to the back surface. This is a delicate process, as you have to print one pass of the entire color image on the back. Then you flood the entire backside with white ink. Then another printing pass over the white. When light shines through, the colors are very vibrant.

Here is a test run with the marquee over a small light box and then an image of the marquee in place for a sizing test.

Today I completed the artwork for the RULES section that is located between the speaker vents.

I have selected my button control pattern and purchased illuminated buttons and trackball that I will install over the next couple of weeks. That takes some routing of the wood panel. Once that is complete, I need to do some graphics for the controls and install those. My completion date is approximately June 9th. I'll keep updating through the final stretch.

By the way, the brain comes with 1300 games pre-loaded (some X-Rated games) Once I get the machine running, I will be adding another 300-500 more games, including some Playstation games.

The eons are closing
    Super sweet [emoji106]
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    By the way, the brain comes with 1300 games pre-loaded (some X-Rated games) Once I get the machine running, I will be adding another 300-500 more games, including some Playstation games.
    Very nice. Please keep us posted.

So, how much are you going to charge people to play it?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

And will i be able to "remote in"[emoji16]

Gruno, when you get that thing done and games installed, it's going to deserve a thread of its own.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The eons are closing
    Agreed.

Thanks, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

Actually, it can be programmed to activate upon coin insertion. I might use the coin slot buttons to activate some other gadget. There is a card reader, so I will see what my tech buddy says we can do with that. In my game rules I have a line that reads: All gambling winnings must pay 10% to the house.

I have purchased a small amp and volume control unit today. I will upgrade the speakers after everything is up and running. I also have a volume control knob to install, most likely on the top of the machine.

Here's a long overview of the brain and how the games look. Towards the middle is where he talks about adding other games:

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    A few years ago I got obsessed with the MAME arcade emulator software and gradually built a full emulator arcade cabinet. Started with a cheap tower with just enough processing speed to run MAME, then bought a professional arcade-type control panel with two joysticks, a trackball and a ton of buttons. Finally I bought a kit to build a cabinet and a dedicated monitor and speakers and put it all together into this:

Attachment 6792

In addition to MAME with 1000 arcade games, it also has emulators for the Odyssey 2, Atari 2600, Colecovision and Commodore 64 (I still own working versions of all the Nintendo consoles, so no need to emulate those). I can basically play all the games of my youth on that one machine. It's glorious.
    Lovely!! Would enjoy seeing any construction pics you have of this. Looks like you used an X-Arcade controller as the main base? What type of monitor did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Gruno, when you get that thing done and games installed, it's going to deserve a thread of its own.
    Started one here.

Has anyone played Starlink: Battle For Atlas by any chance? I just got it a couple days ago (the digital edition) on the Nintendo Switch. The Switch edition comes with Fox McCloud and the Arwing as a playable pilot/ship, and so far this feels like the best "StarFox" game in several years.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Anyone know why my son's Nintendo Switch would suddenly stop charging? The thing is only about six months old.
    It's either AC Adapter or the console itself. I googled it and got the same link but nothing of this helped me - https://en-americas-support.nintendo.../comment/12234

I was talking to my brother and GTA: IV came up. He reminded me of something I emailed him about that happened to me in the game:

You're not going to believe what just happened. I was on the freeway following this motorcycle I was going to boost for Bruce. The dumbass on the bike was going so fast he ran into the back of another car, flipped over the handlebars and killed himself. The bike slid over into my lane and I was going really fast, too, but just barely managed to stop before running over it. So, I jump out and am going to hop on the bike when some other dumbass slams into the back of my car which pushed my car over the bike, which then caught on fire!!! It blew up and then set my car on fire. I had to call Bruce and tell him the bike was a lost cause. He was not happy. And I was annoyed because, not only did I not get to steal the bike, but now I didn't have any wheels. WTF?

My brother thought this was absolutely hilarious.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

The eons are closing
    So I finally got Skyrim (used) for PS4 (w/ all the DLC) amd I am really enjoying it. 20+ hrs in.

I have to order the adapter for my PSVR to work with a PS5 - which I do not have but will at some point and dont want those adapters to have disappeared.

No Man Sky is still a great game and even more depth now (maybe too much??) but even after 250+ hrs, I am going to start again at a harder permadeath level and really use the VR.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The eons are closing
    I dont know - the Now section still sounds like Mario - just read by Don LaFontaine

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

OK, that tweet had me laughing out loud.

This is a recent article on free games, and such. I don't know much about gaming, but I thought I'd post it. If anyone has played any of these please comment. I also wondered if you downloaded something from Gog.com or Steam, if you would need a controller? Can you play them just fine with the keyboard. Thanks Games article

Steam games will play from a keyboard

Lately I've been splitting my time between Master of Orion (the one that came out in 2016, and it's great ) on the PC, and Dragon Quest XI on my Nintendo Switch.

Dragon Quest XI is amazing, btw. Possibly the best JRPG I've ever played. It's crazy to see how far this franchise has come since the first Dragon Quest back in the 80s (or "Dragon Warrior", as it was known in America for the first few years; I still remember playing that first game on the NES when I was about 5 years old). I'm in the post-game now, but planning for when I start my second playthrough with the difficulty amped up a bit. It's seriously great.

Any other MOO or DQ fans here?

Ok, thanks for the info Jerjo. aith01-I've not played either of those games but I'll look into them.
    Last edited by hippypants; 02-06-2021 at 01:12 PM.

I just ran across this site today, MyAbandonware.com with older games on it you can download. I was looking for Tetris, which I always enjoyed. I wondered if anyone knew about it, and if there were any games on it particularly you could recommend.

I just watched a video about a sale on GOG channel, and then another video about the differences between Gog and Steam. I like that GOG is DRM-free, which I didn't know what that meant, but makes sense and is a plus. Since I haven't been a big gamer in the past, older games would probably fit me better anyway. So now I'm figuring what I want to d/l from there, and checking them out.

This is a video about the history of GOG.