Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Games - where we can talk about video games

Games - where we can talk about video games

A brief discussion of a video game came up in another thread and Jerjo stated we need a gaming thread. Jerjo's wish is my command.

I've been an on again, off again gamer since Asteroids. I once spent $30 in a single afternoon playing it. And I'm not embarrassed by that. lol

My favorite game series is probably Splinter Cell. I loved the first installment so much that I went out and bought a PS2 and I never had any inclination in buying a game console. I was always a PC gamer.

If you've never played it or heard of it, this is the premise of Splinter Cell: You are Sam Fisher, a highly trained agent of a fictional black-ops sub-division within the NSA, dubbed "Third Echelon". And you go on black missions.

The game emphasizes stealth, so rushing in and blasting away at your enemies can actually be a good way to get killed. No, you sneak in. Part of your accouterments is a high tech suit that enhances your ability to hide in the shadows since it's designed to not reflect light. You also have a semi-automatic pistol and an assault rifle both of which are suppressed and which are useful for shooting out lights and, thus, creating more shadows or, in some cases, complete darkness.

The hallmark of Splinter Cell is Sam's "trifocal goggles" which utilize night vision as well as thermal vision. Darkness is your friend.

The assault rifle is equipped with both a scope and a launcher. Using the launcher, Sam can shoot a projectile that knocks out an enemy. Other implements shot from the launcher are a "sticky shocker" (a self-contained taser), a grenade that releases sleeping gas, and a "sticky camera". The camera is especially useful for reconnaissance and is equipped with both a noisemaker (to draw in enemies) and sleeping gas.

Fisher is also very agile and can mantle up walls to ledges or overhead pipes. He's also adept at knocking out enemies or taking them hostage for interrogation purposes or, in cases where you've fucked up and are between a rock and a hard place, using a captured enemy as a human shield. Perhaps the coolest maneuver Sam is capable of is the split jump. It is performed in narrow spaces – between two walls – and results in Sam positioning himself about 7-8 feet above the floor with a foot on each wall. In this position he can use one of his weapons to kill or knock out an enemy. Or he can simply hide. Better yet, he can wait for an enemy to walk under him so he can then drop down on them and knock them out.

The game isn't fast paced but it sure is a hell of a lot of fun.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm mainly a sudoku, crossword & solitaire type of gamer but I do like Half Life, Baldurs Gate & Morrowind. I'm looking for simple FPS & single player role playing games.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I was big into video games during the coin-op era, but have grown to be a rather casual, occasional gamer at best. The only console I ever owned since the Atari 2600 was a Sega Genesis. Later inherited my sister’s Sega CD attachment, which has since had a (fatal? I could probably fix the drive if I cared more) breakdown. Now I’ll never know how Sonic CD ends!

The only kind of game I usually play anymore is the occasional RPG. I was big into the Eye of the Beholder series back in the day, and Neverwinter Nights (1 & 2) after that. Currently playing through Dragon Age (just got Awakening).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I prefer rpgs mainly, in the fantasy and survival horror genres. Because time is limited, I can really only play one game at a time. Currently it's Elder Scrolls Online, it pretty good, and my wife and I can play together. The games I've played through are Resident Evil 4, Dragon Age, Resident Evil 5, Dead Space, Assassin's Creed 2, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Dead Island, and The Last of Us. So mainly elves and zombies, with an occasional break.

My wife recently built us into the PCMR, and so we haven't upgraded to the latest generation of consoles. I still have a Wii and a PS3.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

In for the subscription
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

My wife and I both enjoy gaming, but are pretty selective about games. And we both go through serious droughts of wanting to play. I didn't play much of anything during 2015, and only recharged the controller to play some time in early fall. We have 2 PS3 systems and 2 PS4s, and like to play single-player campaign games as well as a few with online multiplayer. Our favorite is the Uncharted series, and the Grand Theft Auto games. For Christmas we got each other the new Star Wars Battlefront game. Haven't done much online stuff since doing the training missions, but it was a blast flying speederbikes on Endor.
    I prefer 3rd person shooters over FPS. They kind of make me nauseous.
    She also gave me the Deadpool game. It's a slash-and-kill button-masher, but I've been a fan of the comic for a long time, and they nailed the comedy angle in the game. Graphics are pretty good too.

But I was a video game kid from the start. Intellivision, Colecovision, Atari, Adventure on the computer, beating the snot out of the keyboard of my dad's IBM PC playing Decathlon and Big Top, Sega Master System, Genesis, Nintendo, N64, PS, XBox, PS2, PS3, PS4.

Was into the Madden series from the first game, before they had the NFL licensing and used generic team names. The best is still NFL2K5 on the XBox. But I do have NCAA 07 and Madden 07 for the PS3. They do well enough for my fix.

I also play the hell out of some Candy/Soda/Jelly Crush when I'm, well, you know.

Civilization fan here, with Civ II being probably my all time favorite game ever. Also played seemingly never ending games of Dune II and NFL Head Coach at various times over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Civilization fan here, with Civ II being probably my all time favorite game ever. Also played seemingly never ending games of Dune II and NFL Head Coach at various times over the years.
    Were you over on the Spawn boards before they shut down? I remember your name and team logo avatar, and you being a prog fan on there.

Tomb Raider mostly for me. I game off and on. I've also been playing Zelda online.

The only consoles I have are a PS2 and PS3. I will never buy an XBox, regardless of how good they get. What especially pisses me off, tho, is how some games are PS or XBox only. You'd think I wouldn't care that a game is PS only since that's what I own but I feel it should be more democratic. The other issue is that I can't play online against someone I know if they haven't got the same console. I understand the issue that Sony & Micro$oft are the server owners, but that's not an issue with PC online games. Those servers are owned by the software publishers. OTOH, there aren't that many PC online games so that's a consideration. The other thing that annoys me is that playing online requires a subscription if you have an XBox (the other reason I won't get one). Sony didn't have that requirement prior to PS4 but they do now (altho, it's still free for PS2 & PS3). WTH? I just spent $40-60 for your game and now you're going to charge me to play online? Fuuuck youuu.

Anywhoo... my other favorite series is Hitman in which you play as the character "Agent 47" (there's a whole back story to this). Like Splinter Cell, stealth is the modus operandi... sorta. You don't have to play it that way but you get more points (or money, depending on the version) if the only person you kill is who you're contracted to kill. In that case, you attain the "Silent Assassin" rating and if you do, a better and/or suppressed gun will be unlocked after each mission. And, like Splinter Cell (which I neglected to mention), if you kill or knock someone out, it's in your best interests to hide the body. If not, your enemies go on alert if they find the body. If it's a civilian that finds the body, they'll go find an enemy and tell them about it which then puts your enemies on alert.

Some of the cool things about Hitman:
    • 1st or 3rd person view. 3rd works better in this game usually. [incidentally, Splinter Cell is 3rd person only]
    • the ability to pick up an enemy's weapon and/or take their ammo (after you've knocked them out or killed them)
    • the ability to take an enemy's clothes to use as a disguise which is a necessity since you usually operate out in the open
    • the ability to use any number of things as a weapon, such as a butcher's knife, fire poker, pool cue, shovel, etc (depending on the version).
    • core weapons that are undetected by metal detectors: a fiber wire (garrote) and a hypodermic needle
    • the ability to hide many weapons in your clothing, such as a handgun or an Uzi
    • you get better and better weapons the farther you go along in the game, which almost always culminates in suppressed guns
    • the way the vibration function is used in your controller: if an enemy begins to suspect you're not who you appear to be, your "heart rate" increases and begins to pound (felt in the controller) in which case you better either kill the dude(s) watching you or get the hell out of Dodge

The one thing some people have criticized the game for is the AI of the enemy in the earliest installments. They're dumb as rocks on the easier settings or sometimes go on alert at the drop of a hat on the hardest setting. It gets much better with later games.

BTW, Hitman has been made into two movies. The first starred Timothy Olyphant as Agent 47 and was released in 2007. It was panned by most critics but I liked it well enough; it's a guilty pleasure. Besides, Olyphant was perfect in it. Roger Ebert gave it 3/4 stars if that means anything. The second one was released last year and was considered even worse than the first one. I have no intention of seeing it.

Some other great games I've played:

Portal series. It's kinda, sorta an FPS but you don't actually shoot at anyone. You solve a series of ever increasingly difficult puzzles as you make your way through a test facility. Requiring good problem solving skills it also includes some humorous – and, at times, hilarious – commentary from an AI named GLaDOS. The sequel is even better, if not quite as funny.

Far Cry 3. I've only played FC3 but of the series, it has the highest rating. I noticed a couple of bugs in this game but it's really fun and often challenging. It's an open world FPS that also has missions. My favorite weapon: the bow & arrow. There is nothing so satisfying in a video game as killing someone with a B&A. What is especially great about that is that the arrows are retrievable so it's hard to run out of ammo with it... if you're careful.

The Last of Us. I bought a PS3 just to get this game and I wasn't disappointed. I think it was considered the best game of 2013 and is the fifth-highest rated PS3 game on Metacritic, beaten out only by Grand Theft Auto 4, GTA5, Uncharted 2, Batman: Arkham City, and tied with Portal 2, Red Dead Redemption (which I didn't like that much), and LittleBigPlanet. Of those 7, The Last of Us actually had the highest user rating at 9.1. Here's the synopsis from Metacritic:

Twenty years after a pandemic radically transformed known civilization, infected humans run amuck and survivors kill one another for sustenance and weapons - literally whatever they can get their hands on. Joel, a salty survivor, is hired to smuggle a fourteen-year-old girl, Ellie, out of a rough military quarantine, but what begins as a simple job quickly turns into a brutal journey across the country.

My feeling of The Last of Us is that it was a little too much plot driven and with too many cut scenes. Had I been in charge, it would have been more open world. Still, it's hard to disagree with the 9.1 user rating. A big plus is that one of your weapons can be a bow & arrow.

Sniper Elite series. You're a sniper working for the OSS (precursor to the CIA) in 1945 Berlin just after Berlin has been sacked by the Soviet Union. Your enemies: the Germans and the Soviets! The most challenging thing about the game is the ballistics in realistic mode. In other words, the farther away you are and the more wind there is, the more you have to adjust your aim. The coolest thing about the game is the "Bullet Cam" view where, if you fire a kill shot, you follow the trajectory of the bullet in slow motion and get to watch it blow through an enemy's body (usually the head) and see the blood/bone/tissue fly out the other side of his body (this sounds really gruesome – and it is – but it's also cool as shit!). I've only played the first two games and the main differences are that in the first, it seemed to me you're almost required to crawl everywhere to avoid being detected, which can be tedious; this was greatly improved in the second game. In the second game, the "Bullet Cam" view isn't as cool but the game play is improved.

The Call of Duty series. I've only played the WWII games which are vastly superior to the Medal of Honor series.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    My son has a PS3 and PS4 and spends far too much time using them. I like to annoy him by suggesting he skip all the cut scenes, and reminding him that in MY day cut scenes only existed as something to watch while you waited for the next disk to load.

It's bizarre to me (although it's probably a good thing) how "important" the storyline of the games seems to be these days. I also like explaining to my son how many of the games back in the day were very random, and based on the shapes and movements the programmers were able to coax out of the limited computer languages and hardware. If you wanted a storyline, you needed to play a text adventure.

PS4 and XBOX One are probably the first generations of consoles I have never owned, going all the way back to Telstar!. I finally realised that I just don't have the time/patience/skill for these newest generation games. Back on the XBOX 360 I was a huge Tiger Woods PGA Golf fan. I was also up to Halo III, which I never finished. Now, gaming mostly consists of apps on my iPad. I'm totally hooked on Sudoku and Scrabble...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

During the coin-op era I always preferred the crazy mechanical games, like the life size gunfighter you had a duel with, and the submarine game with a lightbulb that moved underneath a plastic ocean. You know, games that took up about 60 square feet each! LOL.

When I was a kid, the only gaming system we had was a Fairchild Channel F, launched by Fairchild Semiconductor in 1976. They probably also did work for the Defense Department.

Friede and I play Diablo 3, or rather the expansion Reaper of Souls. She plays the wizard, the witch doctor and the demon hunter, I play the barbarian, the crusader and the monk. The 2.4 patch just came out 6 days ago, with lots of new features, including 3 new areas and a new kind of dungeon.

Thanx Hal...

I don't know where to begin. I haven't done much gaming since my grandson graduated last year. for me personally, I suppose it mostly started around 1981 when I got hooked on Defender, Breakout, and Space Invaders. I spent countless hours playing those games on the 2600, smokin' bud, dropping barrels and panes. good times but I musta looked kinda frightful to my first real employer after those all nighters.

those years went by in a blur, then I got married, had 2 kids and Nintendo came along. freakin' Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong and F1 Race ruled the day. I remember all too well blowing on those cartridges or shimming it with a little piece of cardboard. Super Nintendo, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country and everything else that was Super Duper! my girls loved em all too but my wife only liked games like Tetris or Dr. Mario. I've got almost every SNES rom on my computer and still fire fire up those Super titles occasionally. I've never been able to find a very stable emulator for much else but the Snes9x or ZSNES works great for Super Nintendo.

I played a crapload of Marathon and Durandal on the Mac, then Doom, Quake and HλLF-LIFE on the PC. I suppose that's where my love for FPS comes from. got divorced just in time for the GameCube and XBOX. my grandson was old enough to get into gaming and we did a bunch of that together. I'll never forget the look in his eyes when we first fired up Metroid Prime. I prolly looked the same too. that game was truly amazing. it was so polished and beautiful to look at. the gameplay was as smooth as silk. the GameCube was supposed to be a weaker console but it was a real beast when a game developer knew what they were doing. Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4 are absolute proof of that. I played a lot of PlayStation, just never bought one. I don't know why because I liked it. most people I knew were playing Halo and Halo 2 and multiplayer at that time. I put a lot of fuckin' MP hours into Halo 3. I had almost 10.000 sticky grenades before hangin up my Halo 3 days. that's a lot of stickies!

from then till now, it's been so many different games. most are FPS. it's hard for me to play button smashers. my hands just can't take the punishment. Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden II left me in some serious discomfort but I finished em anyways.

favorite games all time - HλLF-LIFE 2 and episodes 1 and 2, Metroid Prime, Ocarina of Time, RE4, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island

most difficult (that I enjoyed) - Call Of Duty 2 and COD World At War on Veteran, HλLF-LIFE 2 Episode 2 on hard

most frustrating (didn't enjoy this much) - COD WAW Heart of the Reich on Veteran

Hal... brought up Portal in another thread and here. I can't recommend this highly enough. it's a sweet ass game and so are Portal 2 and Portal: Still Alive
    i.ain't.dead.irock

any Minecrafters here? I've tried to create some worlds in that game but don't really have the skills or patience like these people. some amazing stuff from just blocks! the young woman who made the first one is generally considered one of the best. the second one was made by two people and is equally amazing considering it was made with the XBOX 360 version.

Minecraft - The Kingdom Of Cipher (by Circleight)

Who ya gonna call?

i.ain't.dead.irock

Hal,

Big fan of the Hitman series, as well as a fan of Olyphant. We have the last Hitman game, had it for some time, but my wife only played it a little. I still haven't gotten to it.

Also have a Sniper Elite game for the PS4 neither of us has played yet. Like I said, we have droughts.

I still feel, though, even with their being geared towards a younger audience, the Ratchet and Clank games for PS3 have been the most visually pleasing and flat-out fun games I've played more than once. Simply beautiful designs and the details are amazing.

I also love simulators. In fact, an old IBM submarine simulator (subsim) from the '80s is what got me hooked on PC sims in the first place. It was crude as hell, by today's standards, but really fun. Since then, I've played scores of PC games. The ever increasing hardware upgrades rendering 2 & 3 year old PCs obsolete and software companies constantly developing games for newer PCs is what finally killed my love of PC games. Still, some of my all time favorite games (i.e. spent weeks playing) were simulators for DOS:
    688 Attack Sub
    SSN-21 Seawolf. The sequel to 688 AS.
    Megafortress. Loved this game! It's a flight simulator where you fly a modified B-52 during the Gulf War... and there were 99 missions! Part of what made this game so awesome was having to determine the best loadout of missiles and bombs for each mission.
    Indycar Racing. Excellent racing simulator.
    Gunship 2000
    Subwar 2050. A combat flight simulator taken underwater. Could be very difficult, tho.

Some other faves for Windows (and some that I can still run on Windows 7):
    MS Combat Flight Simulator, European & Pacific Theaters. They don't need a joystick to play but it's considerably easier with one.
    Sports Car GT. Another excellent racing simulator made all the more fun when using a steering wheel & pedals.
    Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit. Same as SCGT.
    1914 Shells of Fury. A subsim that takes place during WWI. This was released in 2007.
    Take Command - 2nd Manassas. A real time strategy Civil War game that is challenging, fun, and realistic looking (for 2006). This is not a turn based game, either, so the longer you take to make a decision, the sooner you can get your ass kicked. And it runs on Win7!

Thanks for the heads up on Half Life, Proggosaurus. I've seen it in stores and just never got around to getting it. After reading about it just now, I'm gonna have to see if I can find a used version at Game Stop... which is where I've gotten most of my games. lol (I'm almost always late to the party when it comes to video games)

Also, for CoD: World at War. I don't know if I missed it or forgot that it's WWII. I'll have to look for that one, too.

Frinspar, Hitman: Absolution is a pretty cool game – visually, it's gorgeous – but it does play a little differently than the previous versions. Can't exactly tell you how, tho. It's a little more difficult than the previous versions and a little less fun. I think my favorite in this series is Hitman: Contracts.

BTW, for anyone who hasn't played any of the Hitman games, the music is composed by Jesper Kyd, who also did Assassin's Creed. I have no idea who he is but his music is the best I've heard in a video game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

Thanks for the heads up on Half Life, Proggosaurus. I've seen it in stores and just never got around to getting it. After reading about it just now, I'm gonna have to see if I can find a used version at Game Stop... which is where I've gotten most of my games. lol (I'm almost always late to the party when it comes to video games)

Also, for CoD: World at War. I don't know if I missed it or forgot that it's WWII. I'll have to look for that one, too.
    download The Orange Box for PC at Gamestop - $19.99

The Orange Box choices at Steam

the first game at Steam

PS3 version may not be cheap, even used.

COD WAW used to make me pull out my hair but it's great. half the levels you're American fighting the Japanese and half you're a Russian against the Germans. on Veteran difficulty, the grenade spamming is ridiculous. it was the first COD with Zombie mode.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

I honestly think computer gaming peaked with Space War. I loved that game, and still remember when I first saw and played the very cool looking arcade version, probably around 1974 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Were you over on the Spawn boards before they shut down? I remember your name and team logo avatar, and you being a prog fan on there.
    Nope, wasn't me.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Nope, wasn't me.

Then just rest assured that your internet doppelganger never besmirched the username and avatar.

Not a serious gamer but I've played video games since Pong came out. Most of the gaming I do now is either the PS2 (haven't bothered with PSs 3 and 4. I'm just not that serious about gaming), and PC games. I really got into First Person Shooters in the early 90s. Wolfenstein, Doom, Duke 3D, etc. Love all that stuff. I recently found the installation CD of Duke 3D and installed it on my Windows XP machine. For whatever reason, I can't get the sound to work, otherwise it works fine. Loads of fun, and a great way to waste time......

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Anywhoo... my other favorite series is Hitman in which you play as the character "Agent 47" (there's a whole back story to this). Like Splinter Cell, stealth is the modus operandi... sorta. You don't have to play it that way but you get more points (or money, depending on the version) if the only person you kill is who you're contracted to kill. In that case, you attain the "Silent Assassin" rating and if you do, a better and/or suppressed gun will be unlocked after each mission. And, like Splinter Cell (which I neglected to mention), if you kill or knock someone out, it's in your best interests to hide the body. If not, your enemies go on alert if they find the body. If it's a civilian that finds the body, they'll go find an enemy and tell them about it which then puts your enemies on alert.
    forgot to mention that I did play Absolution and Blood Money. I love the mechanics of the game. if done right, I can enjoy a 3rd person shooter just as much as FPS. the Gears of War franchise gives you that option of switching modes. if I remember correctly, Absolution was the one in which you had to kill the vice pres...right? that part was pretty intense and difficult. strange ending though. I got Blood Money free from XBOX Live. bout a year and a half ago, Microsoft began giving away 2 free games (downloads) a month to Gold members. I've gotten many games for free I had never played. Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the free one this half of January. if there's a positive about XBOX Live, this was indeed a good idea from MS.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Of the PS2 games I play I mostly like sports games. I have a couple snowboarding games, Tiger Woods Golf, BMX biking, and Offroad 4WD racing type games. These are old games but they're "modern" enough for me and loads of fun. Other PS2 games I've enjoyed were several Tomb Raider games and Max Payne.