Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Games - where we can talk about video games

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Max Payne was always fun.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'm late to gaming and as such I generally flail around whenever I play on my PC. Like trying to teach myself guitar, picking up gaming in my fifties is a bit of a frustration. Too many games assume you have experience so that even noob settings are a bitch. For example, it took me forever to climb a stairway in the first quest of Skyrim. Aaaaargh. What I should do is start on the Civilization games I got during the last Steam sale but I love the fantasy settings of things like Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls, Bioshock... I guess, like my guitar playing, it's a matter of taking time and just playing until I get the hang of it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Not much into video games now but was a video game/coin op junkie since the last 70s. Was a bit of an expert at Donkey Kong, Ms Pac Man, Robotron. Both my kids 31 and 17 are into games and between them and I have had almost every system ever.

Some RCA cartridge system I can't recall the name
    Odyssey 2
    Atari 2600 - my friend had some sort of master cartridge and then a case full of chips. Each chip contained one game and you just plugged a new chip into the master cartridge when you wanted to change games. He had 100s of games on chips like this.
    Atari 5200 - absolutely hated the free flowing joy stick. Made playing games like Pac Man and such very difficult as you constantly missed your target as the joy stick didn't self center.
    Atari 800 computer with floppy drive, cassette tape drive and cartridge slot. Mostly played Robotron cartridge that came in a box that converted to a joy stick holder so you could place 2 Atari 2600 joy sticks next to each other creating dual joy sticks like the real game. Of course the box just kept moving and those original sticks always broke.
    Mattel Intellivision
    Collecovision - one of my favorite systems. Still have it with almost all of the accessories including the sport controllers and racing wheel with shifter and pedal
    Commodore 64 with 1000s of games on floppy. favorites were track and field and One on One (Dr J vs Larry Bird)
    NES
    Super Nintendo
    N64
    Nintendo Game Cube
    Nintendo WII
    Nintendo WII U
    Play Station - fondly recall my son and I playing original DOOM for 36 straight hours during the blizzard of 96 while my wife/sons mother was rushed to the hospital on a hook n ladder
    Play Station 3
    Play Station 4
    Sega Master System
    Sega Genesis
    Sega Game Gear
    Sega Dreamcast - one of the great underrated systems of all time. My son had so many bootleg games that he used to host on an FTP server for my co workers to download and burn
    Game Boy
    Game Boy color
    Nintendo DS
    Nintendo 3Ds
    Xbox 360
    Xbox One

I am sure I am missing some systems and this does not include all of the computer systems by kids designed just for gaming. Now I mostly play quick app games on my IPhone and occasionally venture to my basement where I have a full size Williams Classic Arcade machine that contains 10 of the greatest Williams Games including Robotron (my favorite game of all time), Defender, Defender II (originally called Stargate), Tapper, Joust and a few others I can't recall right now.

Playing The Witcher 3 right now on PS4. RPG fans should definitely check it out.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

You've got me beat by a couple of systems there, Jay, though I've had a lot of 'em. I even had a 3DO (if anyone actually remembers that one).

I currently own a PS4, 3DS and a Wii U. The Sega Genesis was probably my favorite just because of when it came out, childhood memories, all that nostalgia bullshit.

One of the coolest trends in gaming right now is a return to the simpler mechanics and aesthetics of the 80s and 90s being pushed by indie developers. Games like Guacamelle, Shovel Knight, Olli Olli and Steam World Dig (to name just a few I've played recently) recall the 16-bit era nostalgically but are also just great games.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    if I remember correctly, Absolution was the one in which you had to kill the vice pres...right? that part was pretty intense and difficult. strange ending though.
    No, that was Blood Money. And you're right: that mission to kill the VP was difficult. You're also right about the ending. Strange indeed. Funny thing was, I accidentally pressed the right button and noticed something weird. So I did it again and noticed it again. Had that not happened, I never would have figured out the ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay G View Post
    Not much into video games now but was a video game/coin op junkie since the last 70s. Was a bit of an expert at Donkey Kong...
    Forgot about DK! I had the high score on about 8 different machines in the west suburbs of Chicago. lol Generally, tho, I don't like those kinds of games. Hated PacMan. Some of the others I liked were:
    Vs Golf. Wasted more money on this than Asteroids. And I was damn good, too! Had to quit because I was also drinking way too many pints of Lowenbrau while playing.
    Missile Command. Not very good at it.
    Spy Hunter. Not very good at it but thought it was fun. It also had the Peter Gunn theme song, a la Emerson, Lake, & Palmer.
    Arkanoid.
    Ironman Stewart's Super Off Road. This was cool because you could play against 2 other people at the same time.
    There were a few others whose names I can't remember but probably my all time favorite arcade game was the one where you played as a sniper against the Mafia.

Speaking of the Mafia, has anyone played any of the Mafia games for PS3?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    You've got me beat by a couple of systems there, Jay, though I've had a lot of 'em. I even had a 3DO (if anyone actually remembers that one).

I currently own a PS4, 3DS and a Wii U. The Sega Genesis was probably my favorite just because of when it came out, childhood memories, all that nostalgia bullshit.

One of the coolest trends in gaming right now is a return to the simpler mechanics and aesthetics of the 80s and 90s being pushed by indie developers. Games like Guacamelle, Shovel Knight, Olli Olli and Steam World Dig (to name just a few I've played recently) recall the 16-bit era nostalgically but are also just great games.
    Never had 3DO, CDi or Atari Jaguar. I seem to recall that 3DO was very expensive for the time but had some really cool exclusive games. With only my youngest still at home we only have the PS4 set up. Many of the systems are in storage. Good call on Sega Genesis. I would have to say that along with Atari 2600, Collecovision and PS 1 were my personal favorite systems.

Well, I’m feeling old, because I remember playing Breakout on the original Atari Video Pinball console with the built-in paddle:

Atari 800 computer with floppy drive, cassette tape drive and cartridge slot. Mostly played Robotron cartridge that came in a box that converted to a joy stick holder so you could place 2 Atari 2600 joy sticks next to each other creating dual joy sticks like the real game. Of course the box just kept moving and those original sticks always broke.
    Wow, I forgot that I had an Atari 400 computer, which was used chiefly as a video gaming console. Computing was an exercise in frustration on account of the membrane keyboard. Later upgraded to an Atari 800XL when the keyboard finally crapped out (banged on it in annoyance one too many times, it seems). The Joust cartridge on that one was particularly good as I recall, and the Pac-Man was way better than the sorry VCS version (which we paid $60 for when it first came out, were we insane?).

The Robotron game sounds amazing. I only discovered that game in retrospect, with the Williams Classics cart for the Sega Genesis. Where had that game been all my life? It’s one of the most ridiculously noisy games ever.

I am sure I am missing some systems and this does not include all of the computer systems by kids designed just for gaming. Now I mostly play quick app games on my IPhone and occasionally venture to my basement where I have a full size Williams Classic Arcade machine that contains 10 of the greatest Williams Games including Robotron (my favorite game of all time), Defender, Defender II (originally called Stargate), Tapper, Joust and a few others I can't recall right now.
    My impersonation of every attempt to play Defender ever:

[crash!]

[crash!]

[crash!]

[GAME OVER]

The controls were just baffling. Thrust and reverse thrust? F--- that s___! And there seemed to be some people who found it to be too easy, so out came Defender II, which threw more buttons on the control panel and more enemies on the screen. Were these people insane?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post

My impersonation of every attempt to play Defender ever:

[crash!]

[crash!]

[crash!]

[GAME OVER]

The controls were just baffling. Thrust and reverse thrust? F--- that s___! And there seemed to be some people who found it to be too easy, so out came Defender II, which threw more buttons on the control panel and more enemies on the screen. Were these people insane?
    funny, Defender was one of the very few games I liked that I could never master. Controls were insane and I could never fly that jet thing at more than the almost slowest speeds which was basically a stop hovering and waiting for the Aliens to crush me. Could also never catch and save any of my guys picked up by the Aliens.

Friede and I like to play "Criminal Case", a Facebook game in which you have to solve crimes. You have to find clues in pictures, have them analyzed, look for fingerprints or blood droplets, unlock sealed boxes and search the content, put torn-up messages together again and stuff like that to solve the cases. You get rewards at the end of each case. It takes several days to play a case through (unless you decide to pay real money; then the analyses (which can last up to 36 hours at times for an autopsy) will finish immediately. We rather wait.

With the Facebook games do you have to play while on the site?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Not much into video games now but was a video game/coin op junkie since the last 70s. Was a bit of an expert at Donkey Kong, Ms Pac Man, Robotron. Both my kids 31 and 17 are into games and between them and I have had almost every system ever.

Some RCA cartridge system I can't recall the name
    Odyssey 2
    Atari 2600 - my friend had some sort of master cartridge and then a case full of chips. Each chip contained one game and you just plugged a new chip into the master cartridge when you wanted to change games. He had 100s of games on chips like this.
    Atari 5200 - absolutely hated the free flowing joy stick. Made playing games like Pac Man and such very difficult as you constantly missed your target as the joy stick didn't self center.
    Mattel Intellivision
    Collecovision - one of my favorite systems. Still have it with almost all of the accessories including the sport controllers and racing wheel with shifter and pedal
    Commodore 64 with 1000s of games on floppy. favorites were track and field and One on One (Dr J vs Larry Bird)
    NES
    Super Nintendo
    N64
    Nintendo Game Cube
    Nintendo WII
    Nintendo WII U
    Play Station - fondly recall my son and I playing original DOOM for 36 straight hours during the blizzard of 96 while my wife/sons mother was rushed to the hospital on a hook n ladder
    Play Station 3
    Play Station 4
    Sega Master System
    Sega Genesis
    Sega Game Gear
    Sega Dreamcast - one of the great underrated systems of all time. My son had so many bootleg games that he used to host on an FTP server for my co workers to download and burn
    Game Boy
    Game Boy color
    Nintendo DS
    Nintendo 3Ds
    Xbox 360
    Xbox One

What, no Commodore Amiga? I had an Amiga 800XL, because my brother worked for Commodore for several years. I also had an Atari 800. And a TRS-80 that initially had only 4K of memory. LOL!

A friend of mine had a really cool gaming system called Vectrex. Vector-Graphics games - you had to put a different plastic sheet on the screen for each game, like with the original Pong, which another friend had.:

Never had a TRASH 80 but it was the first home computer I recall being exposed to as I had a ton of friends that had them. I even had a friend that was an engineer of some sort and did early CAD with his. My first was the Atari 800 I mentioned above and was really bought to be an advanced gaming machine.

I remember buying Compute! magazine when I was a kid and typing in the BASIC games, and occasionally the 'machine language' games (pretty boring stuff). I think that was for the TRS (Trash)-80, with a cassette drive!

Had an Atari computer as well with the 1050 floppy drive, which was enormous... my friends and I discovered that if you used a hole-puncher on the other side of the disks, you could flip them over and put more games on the other side... a revelation!

Countless hours spent in those days playing games like Archon, Tempest, Jungle Hunt, Montezuma's Revenge, Zork (I, II and III), Agent U.S.A., Congo Bongo, Qix, Warlords, Elevator Action, Impossible Mission, M.U.L.E., Karateka, Choplifter, F-15 Strike Eagle... and I wonder if anyone else remembers the very obscure game Landscape..?

In later teenage years, I remember the almost hauntingly surreal game Out Of This World for the Super Nintendo.
    Last edited by Progatron; 02-03-2016 at 08:18 PM.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Has anyone played Alien: Isolation?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I'm no gaming expert but I luv me MAME. I got into it mainly because I was looking for a way to play Xevious, which was always my favorite 8-bit console. From time to time I'll still waste too much time on Xevious, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Junior, Donkey Kong 3, Jr. Pac Man, Galaga, Galaga 88, Galaxian, Tower Of Druaga, Millipede, Centipede, Astro Blaster . . . . . . . you get the idea.

Also own Wii and WiiU consoles but those are mostly for my kids, although I will play Centipede Infestation sometimes.

Also got into PC gaming for a while. There was a game named Beetle Bug that I thought was really fun.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

^
    Ha! My first job at 14 was a pizza joint where they had a tabletop Xevious game. I played the ever-loving crap out of that machine during every lunch break. I'd still love to find one to put in the house.

XEVIOUS! That game was *awesome*.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I did enjoy Mario Kart & Crazy Taxi when the kids still lived at home.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Mario Kart is a great game; the reason I bought a Wii.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Always loved Xevious...this scratches the itch...

http://www.classicgamesarcade.com/ga...2/xevious.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Has anyone played Alien: Isolation?
    I haven't played any of them. considering how much I love the movie franchise, it's odd that I never picked up any of the games. I did watch some walkthroughs of Isolation but it didn't look too impressive. seemed like it was tedious, repetitive and easy to get lost. I would like to get Aliens vs Predators at some point though. I gather it has a pretty steep learning curve and the best part is playing as one of the ETs. I hear that AVP 2 is better. what about you?

I like horror/survival games. played a few Silent Hills on the PC. crazy stuff. Bioshock was pretty creepy. killer concept and design throughout. 2 was well done but playing as a Big Daddy just seemed strange. still a good game. yet to do Infinite. played any F.E.A.R.? I loved the first one. the scare factor was marginal for me but the atmosphere and combat are fucking intense. it's one of the first games I can remember where the shotgun actually blew people into chunks of blood and gore. I liked frying the flesh off people with the particle gun too. damn, was it ever rough on my nerves though. Project Origin was memorable for that fucked up ending if nothing else and it was FU. FEAR 3 was good but left a lot to be desired IMO. it was more of a traditional FPS and less horror. without Monolith involved, Warner Bros seemed like they were more interested in putting the series to bed than making a great game. it's a shame too because I thought FEAR had so much potential. all of em had great combat. never could beat the first one on the hardest difficulty though...too damn hard. my only real gripe about the mechanics was in the character movement. it always felt like I was walking around in lead boots with a load of shit in my pants...clunky!
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    None of us are going to remember all these games by name, but I had an Activision game for the Atari 800XL - can't remember the name - but you had this sort of 4-legged spidery thing and you had to jump over this landscape and move ever onward up the screen, jumping over things and sometimes picking up energy or whatever. Wish I could remember the name. I tried and tried to beat it but couldn't.

Also, on the Trash 80, I had a text adventure (not a Scott Adams) that was ripped off from the movie Alien, and it always crashed. Wish I could remember the name of that, and the I'm sure TINY company that sold that.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    None of us are going to remember all these games by name, but I had an Activision game for the Atari 800XL - can't remember the name - but you had this sort of 4-legged spidery thing and you had to jump over this landscape and move ever onward up the screen, jumping over things and sometimes picking up energy or whatever. Wish I could remember the name. I tried and tried to beat it but couldn't.
    I wanna say Q*bert. that wasn't Activision though and Q*bert only had 2 legs.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I did enjoy Mario Kart & Crazy Taxi when the kids still lived at home.
    My kids and I used to kill each other playing Mario Kart on he various Nintendo systems as well as Mario Party and Smash Brothers. As for Crazy Taxi, I remember my oldest son having that on the Sega Dreamcast.