Thread: AAJ Rediscovery: John Scofield, Live (Enja , 1977)

AAJ Rediscovery: John Scofield, Live (Enja , 1977)

After a lengthy hiatus, Rediscovery returns with an album that may not have represented the first time I'd heard John Scofield...but it was certainly the album that cemented my already firm impression that this was a guitarist on whom I'd have to keep a close watch. Nearly forty years later he remains a personal favourite, and while he's released a gaggle of terrific records, including last year's stellar Past Present (Impulse!), his second album as a leader, Live, continues to rank highly amongst my favorite Scofield recordings.

Whether or not it's coincidental, that Scofield's quartet on Live features two players who would become, thirteen months later, fundamental to the success of fellow guitarist (and fellow Billy Cobham alum) John Abercrombie's first touring band--recently captured on the three-disc Old & New Masters box set The First Quartet (ECM, 2015), which includes 1979's Arcade, 1980's Abercrombie Quartet and 1981's M--the contributions of pianist Richie Beirach and bassist George Mraz to Live simply cannot be understated. Nor can the presence of drummer Joe LaBarbera, who adds even more fire to a set that initially featured just four long tunes (two per side of the LP) adding up to a generous 52-minutes, but was expanded in 1987 by Enja to include an additional two tracks and the unedited, 14+ minute version of Beirach's captivating "Leaving," first heard on his initially Japan-only album with flautist Jeremy Steig a year prior, also titled Leaving (Trio Records), reissued on CD by Storyville in 1988.

Also recording a version of the song on his 1978 solo piano album for ECM, Hubris, "Leaving" has become something of a standard for Beirach, but it's the version heard here that remains the definitive group take. Following a staggering three-minute a cappella piano introduction reinserted into the CD version, the rest of the group enters, with Scofield delivering its memorable theme before the tune opens up for a modal workout where the guitarist carefully unfolds one of his best solos of the set; initially spare and ethereally supported by Beirach, Mraz and LaBarbera, it's not long before a more fervent pulse begins to emerge and the piece moves into double time, with Scofield intensifying his solo and introducing serpentine lines peppered with rapid-fire injections and the kind of "outside/inside" playing that would become a touchstone to his entire career. Beirach's solo builds with similar motivic invention, the rhythm section pushing him to such frenzied extremes that you can hear someone in the band shouting "whoo!!" In the background, before the pianist moves from sixteenth note right-hand chords, bolstered by McCoy Tyner-esque left-hand fourths to an oblique thematic construct played, with almost impossible virtuosity, by both hands.

Continue reading here...

Probably my favorite jazzguitarist

I never did go back and listen to his early albums. Shinola is the oldest one I have. And I prefer his old tone with the chorus/distortion mix. His sound these days doesn't really get me too excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I never did go back and listen to his early albums. Shinola is the oldest one I have. And I prefer his old tone with the chorus/distortion mix. His sound these days doesn't really get me too excited.
    You'll love this one, then. A total smoker, wth his original tone. I still love the guy and pick up every new record, but agree that his early tone was more appealing.

Shinola (and its partner, Out Like a Light) is great, but hearing him in a quartet context with Beirach on Live and Hal Galper on the Enja studio follow-up Rough House (1978) is a different experience...and one I think you'd love, Reid. two largely modal records that are searing from the get-go....especially Rough House's opening title track. I used to play it, and learned his solo note-for-note..

For me, like those early Abercrombie quartet records (also, coincidentally, feat. Beirach & George Mraz), Sco's early Enja recordings were absolutely seminal, and remain essential listening to this day. I spin each of them at least a couple times a year, if not more....
    Last edited by jkelman; 01-20-2016 at 10:18 AM.

Tone (He played a Les Paul on this occasion)

Scofield, Swallow & Nussbaum: Grey and Visceral (1980)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ettx1DZ8so8

Scofield, Swallow & Nussbaum: In Walked Bud 1980
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycp4mGpm3JE

I'm listening to it on YouTube. Sounds good! Some great playing on the tune, Leaving. It's rare to hear Scofield playing with a pianist.

I have this vinyl....haven't spun it in eons....my recollection is that I was not that impressed with it back-in-the-day....might have to re-listen to it with fresh ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Tone (He played a Les Paul on this occasion)

Scofield, Swallow & Nussbaum: Grey and Visceral (1980)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ettx1DZ8so8

Scofield, Swallow & Nussbaum: In Walked Bud 1980
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycp4mGpm3JE
    Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that he was already playing his Ibanez Artist. I know he has come to favour VOX AC30 amps, but not sure if that's what he was using here.

But the two clips you play are not the same group as on Live, which is a quartet with Richie Beirach, George Mraz & Joe LaBarbera. The trio with Swallow and Nussbaum came after his second Enja album, Rough House, another quartet date with Hal Galper, Stafford James & Nussbaum.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    I have this vinyl....haven't spun it in eons....my recollection is that I was not that impressed with it back-in-the-day....might have to re-listen to it with fresh ears.
    I'd go back to it. I loved it at the time, but in retrospect it's even better because all his building blocks were in place, even if he would (of course, as we all hope we will) become a better guitarist. There's something about his writing then that was definitely very '70s, but it still holds up beautifully today, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I'm listening to it on YouTube. Sounds good! Some great playing on the tune, Leaving. It's rare to hear Scofield playing with a pianist.
    Check out the next on, Rough House, too, Reid. Different pianist but same format....and actually even more smokin'!

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that he was already playing his Ibanez Artist. I know he has come to favour VOX AC30 amps, but not sure if that's what he was using here.

But the two clips you play are not the same group as on Live, which is a quartet with Richie Beirach, George Mraz & Joe LaBarbera. The trio with Swallow and Nussbaum came after his second Enja album, Rough House, another quartet date with Hal Galper, Stafford James & Nussbaum.
    I was there - i think his amp was a Fender or a MusicMan, Swallow used a big Mesa Boogie (pretty raw sound), saw him at another occasion later with a small Polytone

I know, its a trio, but his guitar sound is pretty much the same. No chorus, just some amp distortion here and there.

Yes, that and Shinola are among my favorites of his early albums, all of which are pretty darn good.

I've been listening to this one quite a bit lately, though, interestingly enough. Funny to see it mentioned here today.

Excellent choice and nice write up, John
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...