Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Introduction

Hello, my name is Jeanine (with French pronunciation), or shortly Jean (with American pronunciation). I am originally from the USA (Oakland, CA), but went to Cologne, Germany in 1993 and still live there.

I have a little problem. My wife (same-sex marriage) would like to join too. We do, however, share the same e-mail address (we see no reason to use different ones)

We are both members of Prog Archives as well, and sharing the e-mail address is absolutely no problem there. So why is it here?

Anyway, I am a lover of old school prog, with very few exceptions. There are some artists that I like newer albums of as well. My favorite artists are Van der Graaf Genearator, Gong, Hawkwind, Can, Embryo and Amon Düül 2 and anything related to them. My favorite studio albums by these artists are "Pawn Hearts", "You", "Warrior on the Edge of Time", "Future Days", "Steig aus!" and "Tanz der Lemminge". I do however much prefer live albums to studio albums.

I also love classical music, especially Johann Sebastian Bach, jazz and ethnic music.

My favorite movie is "Rashomon" by Akira Kurosawa, my favorite book is "Ulysses" by James Joyce, my favorite painting is "Ophelia" by John Everett Millais.

I also happen to have alopecia universalis, hence my nick.
    Last edited by BaldJean; 01-20-2016 at 09:17 AM.

Hi Jean,

I don't think your wife having the same email address would be a problem. Just use different log-in names and different passwords. The moderators should verify that, though.

Anyway, welcome and have fun. Be prepared to spend lots of time and probably money based on the information you'll get here.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Also, might want to use 2 different internet browsers if you both want to stay logged in full time.

Welcome!

It is a problem with registering. My wife tried to register with that e-mail address, and it was not accepted because it was already in use.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nice to see you here Jeanine, always good to see fellow PA'ers here. I'd just create a dummy email account on gmail or yahoo and never use it again if I were you.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldJean View Post
    Hello, my name is Jeanine (with French pronunciation), or shortly Jean (with American pronunciation). I am originally from the USA (Oakland, CA), but went to Cologne, Germany in 1993 and still live there.

I have a little problem. My wife (same-sex marriage) would like to join too. We do, however, share the same e-mail address (we see no reason to use different ones)

We are both members of Prog Archives as well, and sharing the e-mail address is absolutely no problem there. So why is it here?

Anyway, I am a lover of old school prog, with very few exceptions. There are some artists that I like newer albums of as well. My favorite artists are Van der Graaf Genearator, Gong, Hawkwind, Can, Embryo and Amon Düül 2 and anything related to them. My favorite studio albums by these artists are "Pawn Hearts", "You", "Warrior on the Edge of Time", "Future Days", "Steig aus!" and "Tanz der Lemminge". I do however much prefer live albums to studio albums.

I also love classical music, especially Johann Sebastian Bach, jazz and ethnic music.

My favorite movie is "Rashomon" by Akira Kurosawa, my favorite book is "Ulysses" by James Joyce, my favorite painting is "Ophelia" by John Everett Millais.

I also happen to have alopecia universalis, hence my nick.
    Wow, is it really all that hard to go and create a new email somewhere for the purpose of signing up? It's not like you need to actually use that email in order to use the site. Heck, I've probably used a couple of dozen emails for all the things I've signed up for over the years... [/QUOTE].
    Last edited by Facelift; 01-20-2016 at 02:31 PM.

Hi, I am Friederike, the wife of BaldJean, but just call me Friede. Our musical tastes are quite similar, My favorite movie is "M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder" by Fritz Lang, my favorite book is "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell" by Susanna Clarke, and my favorite painting is "the Garden of Earthly Delights" by Hieronymus Bosch.

I have alopecia universalis as well; Jean and I met in a self-help group

Quote Originally Posted by BaldFriede View Post
    My favorite movie is "M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder" by Fritz Lang
    What a phenomenal movie. Saw it years ago. Peter Lorre was immense as the killer. I believe we have some old movie fans on this site, too.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Hi, I am Friederike, the wife of BaldJean, but just call me Friede. Our musical tastes are quite similar, My favorite movie is "M - Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder" by Fritz Lang, my favorite book is "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell" by Susanna Clarke, and my favorite painting is "the Garden of Earthly Delights" by Hieronymus Bosch.

I have alopecia universalis as well; Jean and I met in a self-help group
    I think last week I saw some people performing music inspired by The garden of earthly delights. There were two instruments build, that can also be seen on the painting. The music was based on the music that can be seen on the painting.

Alas I can't find a link to the performance and the only websites I found some information about the piece are in Dutch.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Hi Jean & Friede. Welcome to the 'hood! Enjoy your stay, post freely, and get ready to empty your piggy banks on all the recommendations you'll read about here on PE.

I don't have alopecia universalis (had to look that up), but have been slowly working my way towards a similarly hairless pate for many years!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Hello Friederike, welcome to PE I shaved my head for the first time a couple of weeks ago, it was getting there naturally.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Here is a photo of us. Jean is the one in pink. As you can see we don't even have eyebrows or eyelashes (and of course no body hair either).
    jean_and_friede_at_restaurant.jpg
    Last edited by BaldFriede; 02-15-2016 at 10:55 AM.

Here is a photo of us. Jean is the one in pink. As you can see we don't even have eyebrows or eyelashes (and no body hair either).
    jean_and_friede_at_restaurant_zpspnkborxp.jpg
    Last edited by BaldFriede; 02-15-2016 at 10:54 AM.

Here is a photo of us. Jean is the one in pink. As you can see we don#t even have eyebrows or eyelashes (and no body hair either).
    jean_and_friede_at_restaurant_zpspnkborxp.jpg
    You look like a nice couple.

Thank you.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Welcome! It's customary for new PEers to buy everybody a round of drinks. If two of you are sharing the same username, I think it only makes sense that you buy two.

Welcome, ladies. Good to see that you worked out how to both get on here. Enjoy your stay.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Hi - welcome aboard.

I am the system administrator, and just saw your post(s) now, for the first time.

I'm glad you've resolved the email conflict, by creating a new Yahoo email address.

Nice picture, and it's refreshing to see that you seem to be completely comfortable with your condition.

Enjoy the site, and be prepared to open your wallets - wide - because the excellent music recommendations just never stop!
    Regards,

Duncan

Welcome aboard ladies!

My ex-girlfriend has alopecia universalis. I can empathise a little with your condition. She'd get odd looks at time. People thought she was purposefully bald as some sort of social statement. Others thought she was recovering from chemo. She couldn't go bald and used to wear a scarf over her head. She found the toughest part was having no eye lashes.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Trust me, at the beginning I wanted to do the same. But in the self-help group you learn to accept the look. The mantra "I am beautiful without hair" helps a lot. We almost love the look now.

Trust me, at the beginning I wanted to do the same. But in the self-help group you learn to accept the look. The mantra "I am beautiful without hair" helps a lot. We almost love the look now.
    You are both young women. This affected my ex in her 20s but her hair returned. It then affected her in her 40s, never to return. She had stains on her scalp from years of dyeing her hair. She would not have been able to pull off the 'no scarf' look. I always felt a little guilty about what occurred. When we met, she had a full head of hair. As our relationship evolved and we moved in together, she started taking the pill and that's when her hair started falling out in clumps. She panicked and tried to hide it from me for a while. She was always wearing scarves or bandannas; even to bed. Eventually she explained it all to me. It wasn't pretty at first but eventually all the hair fell out, I got used to it, and our relationship lasted a good 7 or 8 years beyond that; until other issues ultimately split us up.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

There are several people here (me among them) that shave their heads as a preference rather than as a side effect of a disease. My late girlfriend (known to many on PE) convinced me to do it several years ago just to try it. If I didn't shave my head, except for a receding hairline and a small bald spot on the top of my head, I would have a full head of hair at 71.

You ladies and the expressions on your faces in that photo (you both look terrific!), speak volumes about the strength and upbeat outlook of the worldwide LGBT community in spite of all the unwarranted, despicable and ignorant crap they have been through that unfortunately won't be over until blinders come off a whole lot of people..

Welcome to both of you.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    There are several people here (me among them) that shave their heads as a preference rather than as a side effect of a disease.
    It is not a side effect, it is the disease itself. Actually it is an auto-immune disease. Hair is recognized as not belonging to the body by the immune system and rejected.

It is not a side effect, it is the disease itself. Actually it is an auto-immune disease. Hair is recognized as not belonging to the body by the immune system and rejected.
    I think he probably knew that and just meant "associated with a disease."

In any event, welcome and I hope you enjoy the site. I don't believe the PE experience nearly as hair-raising as it's often depicted on PA.