Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: That Metal Show CANCELLED

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    My main takeaways:
    • Apparently there's a show called "That Metal Show" on VH-1.
    • Apparently VH-1 still exists.

VH1 Classic

That makes it ok
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I think Eddie mentioned at least once per show that Ace was at his wedding.
    I remember reading reviews of his metal book on amazon that say that so much of the book seems to be about him bragging about knowing these rock stars and hanging out with them and referring to them as friends. It's as if he has the need to brag and is just trying to boost his ego or something.

I think Eddie mentioned at least once per show that Ace was at his wedding.
    Hell, if Ace went to my wedding, I'd be bragging too. You're talking to a man who's worn Ace makeup (not just the makeup, but the whole Love Gun costume, albeit a very low rent facsimile). Damn, if I knew had people like Ace or Glenn Hughes or Ronnie James Dio, you'd better believe I'd be bringing it up a regular basis. I'm a dork, man, I got nothing going for me. In my mind, being associated with Ace or Glenn or Ronnie or any of those guys in whatever tangential fashion, can only raise my coolness quotient (if you don't believe me, just ask Anne Murray).

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Some of the complaints in this thread are too much. I actually liked watching TMS. (If anyone hasn't checked out Jim Florentine's podcast, that guy is hilarious.) Did many of the "guests" suck? Of course. I care not one iota about the dudes in Godsmack or Warrant. But I still liked the show. Did some of the "guest" musicians suck? Absolutely. (One guy didn't even play his guitar...he let a guy in the audience play it...and he was better! ) But they did book Glenn Hughes, Billy Sheehan, John 5, etc. I hope it finds another outlet.
    Exactly how I feel as well. All bitching about the hosts aside, it was the only show of it’s kind on tv and the only show that I know of to feature a lot of the people who were on it. Anything that carries the torch for hard rock / metal music is ok in my book. Sure they had some crappy guests and interviews, but they also had a lot of great ones too.

i don't even get VH1 anymore. but the show wasn't bad. it's not like there are TV shows that Rock anymore.
    don't mind Eddie trunk, but those other two guys that co host are idiots.

Eddie Trunk always reminded me of someone I might strike up a music conversation with at a bar and regret it five minutes in, when I realized I wasn't going to get a word in edgewise.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Eddie Trunk always reminded me of someone I might strike up a music conversation with at a bar and regret it five minutes in, when I realized I wasn't going to get a word in edgewise.
    I could NOT have said it any better myself !!

Sorry to see the show go. I really only tuned in if they had a guest I was interested in........Image my disbelief when they had Mark Farner from GFRR as a guest once. (for the record, Farner made a fool of himself, stated that they (GFRR) once blew LED ZEP off the stage and postured himself as one of the great guitarists of the time....(was he stoned or what??))

At least his shirt was on.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Farner made a fool of himself, stated that they (GFRR) once blew LED ZEP off the stage
    Didn't he say it was LZ's first time touring the States, or something to that effect?

At least his shirt was on.
    Mark's or Trunk's?

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    .Image my disbelief when they had Mark Farner from GFRR as a guest once
    I loved the bit where they asked Ace Frehley to rate the Kiss albums he was on. Then Eddie complains about he was bumping Rock And Roll Over down the list, and Ace is like "I don't even remember recording it! Whadaya talkin' 'bout?!".

I actually loved the show. Got to see the guys live a few times and have come to know them a little as we attend many of the same shows, etc. What is odd is that the original report said VH1 decided not to continue. Then on Thursday I heard Florentine on the Opie and Jimmy show and he clearly said Viacom is in serious financial and legal trouble resulting in the largest cuts ever. He specifically mentioned that VH1 and VH1 Classic were going off the air.