Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Rick Wakeman : The Six Wives Of Henry VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Why can we see the dress of one of Henry's wives THROUGH Rick's legs? Is this a '70's version of photoshopping?
    Looking at the photo a few posts up I don't see it. I see the dress between the legs, but not through his legs.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

I always thought Excerpts on Yessongs was decent, but I've never felt the need to listen to this album before. I figured I'd give it a go since it's feature here and I have to say it's much better than I had anticipated. I liked it quite a bit actually.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    Looking at the photo a few posts up I don't see it. I see the dress between the legs, but not through his legs.
    Yeah...the photo obviously is retouched/tinted, but I don't see the transparent leg effect.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    I always thought Excerpts on Yessongs was decent, but I've never felt the need to listen to this album before. I figured I'd give it a go since it's feature here and I have to say it's much better than I had anticipated. I liked it quite a bit actually.
    Yeah, they're really well arranged tunes, and although I like the Yessongs excerpts, you don't get the full effect there. Too bad he wasn't able to use one of these or something like it on Fragile instead of having to do a classical adaption.
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

I recently got the 2 disc deluxe version and the hires stereo version on the DVD is the best I've ever heard it. I don't have surround so can't play the quad. I've heard a few rumblings about the quads being needledrops on this and Arthur. http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...#post-13566653 The Old Grey Whistle Test footage is a mime, they are playing along to the recording. Nice to see part of Strawbs there though. ImportCDs seems to have the best price that I've found - http://www.importcds.com/six-wives-o...8/600753562383

Yeah, they're really well arranged tunes, and although I like the Yessongs excerpts, you don't get the full effect there. Too bad he wasn't able to use one of these or something like it on Fragile instead of having to do a classical adaption.
    It's because he was still under contract with A&M and was not allowed contractually to contribute an original piece of music. Something by someone else was ok though which is why he did Cans and Brahms. I guess doing the excerpt thing on Yessongs was somehow allowed maybe because it was a live album. Not sure.

I just listened to Criminal Record for the first time ever via Youtube. A lot of it (not all) sounds good so I'll be picking it up. Nice to hear some vintage Wakeman and a little bit of Squire and White from the good ol' days that I've never heard before. What's interesting is that I noticed a bit of "Space Oddity" in Birdman. Anyone else notice this?
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    It's because he was still under contract with A&M and was not allowed contractually to contribute an original piece of music. Something by someone else was ok though which is why he did Cans and Brahms. I guess doing the excerpt thing on Yessongs was somehow allowed maybe because it was a live album. Not sure.
    I've never understood at all how that worked. He was still signed to A&M throughout his first two stints with Yes, but that didn't stop him from getting (shared) writing credits on Close to the Edge, TFTO, and Tormato.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I've never understood at all how that worked. He was still signed to A&M throughout his first two stints with Yes, but that didn't stop him from getting (shared) writing credits on Close to the Edge, TFTO, and Tormato.
    Maybe because they were two separate contracts(one for A&M as a solo artist and one for Atlantic as a group) and a solo piece by him for another band was somehow breaching a contract. Again, I don't really know either. Just a guess.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    I've never been a fan of Rick's solo albums. But if I had to pick one to suffer through, this would be it.
    I think you pick up the damning with faint praise award for this thread.

For me, it is among the top Yes-adjacent albums. I like on its own merits.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    For me, it is among the top Yes-adjacent albums. I like on its own merits.
    I actually like 6 Wives and CR better than any Yes album... then Relayer, then White Rock, Gole and Rhapsodies, then CTTE
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I actually like 6 Wives and CR better than any Yes album... then Relayer, then White Rock, Gole and Rhapsodies, then CTTE
    Six Wives is better for you than Fragile?

Hey, maybe you are Mr Wakeman himself?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Well 6W is certainly on par (even slightly better IMHO) with the best Yes album, but the rest of his stuff?? Not really! (IMHO, of course)

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Six Wives is better for you than Fragile?
    I can see why MT would think that way. Yes has its irritatingly twee moments where 6W doesn't.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    (...)

I can see why MT would think that way. Yes has its irritatingly twee moments where 6W doesn't.
    Re their solo albums, Olias of Sunhillow is the best one and it's actually a better album then all of Mr Wakeman' solo output.

Re their solo albums, Olias of Sunhillow is the best one and it is better then all of Mr Wakeman' solo output.
    Totally debatable... I tried it a few times (borrowed it) and never thought it was worthy of buying it... ditto with any of Howe solo albums or Squire's Fish Out Of Water, RTM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Totally debatable... I tried it a few times (borrowed it) and never thought it was worthy of buying it... ditto with any of Howe solo albums or Squire's Fish Out Of Water, RTM.
    Agreed!

Banned
    You can love it or hate it, it's irrelevant, but Olias of Sunhillow is the only one of their solo albums which completely passed the time test and it doesn't sound dated even today.

You can love it or hate it, it's irrelevant, but Olias of Sunhillow is the only one of their solo albums which completely passed the time test and it doesn't sound dated even today.
    Sorry dude, but Olias is probably one of the most ridiculous concept album from around that era, and it hasn't aged well at all to my eyes - even if the music is still OK (but no more).

but to each his own and IMHO, of course
    Last edited by Trane; 01-21-2016 at 08:58 AM.

Banned
    Sorry dude, but Olias is probably one of the most concept ridiculous album from around that era, and it hasn't aged well at all to my eyes - even if the music is still OK (but no more).

but to each his own and IMHO, of course
    What is so "amazing" with the concept of Six Wives, please tell me? Even the album title now sounds more like a programme of "Viasat History" channel; though, thanks to that channel, now I know that my fav track from the album, yea that "funky" one, actually have nothing to do with the character of Anne of Cleves
    Re the music, unlike that all-possible-keys solos clogged Six Wives, Anderson's Olias of Sunhillow is an airy masterpiece and will always remain so, and that fresh breeze will always flow through the music and through those amazing images (perhaps even better "Roger Dean" than real Roger Dean ), not caring for our "opinions".

The concept of Six Wifes is not important.
    Wakeman had 6 tunes and found an excuse for a title.
    The music is great, and his playing here is probably as close as he gets to Emerson.
    I wont say anything negative about Olias of Sunhillow, but I dont like it.

What is so "amazing" with the concept of Six Wives, please tell me? Even the album title now sounds more like a programme of "Viasat History" channel; though, thanks to that channel, now I know that my fav track from the album, yea that "funky" one, actually have nothing to do with the character of Anne of Cleves
    Re the music, unlike that all-possible-keys solos clogged Six Wives, Anderson's Olias of Sunhillow is an airy masterpiece and will always remain so, and that fresh breeze will always flow through the music and through those amazing images (perhaps even better "Roger Dean" than real Roger Dean ), not caring for our "opinions".
    Nothing's all that amazing with 6W's concept, I'll grant you that.... but it's one of the most entertaining instrumental albums ever. (and I love JR/F so it's not like 6W wouldn't have competition in that department)

As for Olias, maybe if it was all-instrumental, I'd find it (much) better lmao.gif

Suspended
    I have heard Olias once, and my reaction was that it's not until the final track, "To the Runner", that the alb um really hits its stride (pun intended).

I would disagree with the last part of that. It sounds very much of the mid '70s, and to me that's one of it's charms.

... What's interesting is that I noticed a bit of "Space Oddity" in Birdman. Anyone else notice this?
    No one else has noticed this?
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Re their solo albums, Olias of Sunhillow is the best one and it's actually a better album then all of Mr Wakeman' solo output.
    If you're that much into Jon Anderson, I'm sure it is.