Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Any NEARfest Apocalypse performances destined for DVD?

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    The only justifiable reason for not releasing this would be them thinking it was a poor performance, or a poor recording.
    There are many justifiable reasons, such as not wanting to invest the time given whatever other projects/work/life they individually have going on.

It also seems to me that their seemingly perfectionist tendencies have given us three amazing studio albums with 0% filler. It's a rare thing these days (they should give tips on this to the their country-mates The Flower Kings!), and I can appreciate it, though it does leave us all wanting more.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    There will be a DVD from a show in Korea in the next few weeks.
    Good to know, thanks!

Banned
    The only justifiable reason for not releasing this would be them thinking it was a poor performance, or a poor recording. .
    what about money and time? Are those good reasons?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    what about money and time? Are those good reasons?
    Not for Thomas. He needs them to justify it to him, all other scenarios are unacceptable.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

You'd also be surprised Thomas, at how many performances that many audience members thought were awesome, that bands thought were terrible....missed notes, wrong notes, less than stellar solos (in the performers' opinion), etc., so there's that.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by prog_frog View Post
    three amazing studio albums with 0% filler.
    hrrrm, "Rösten"...
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    hrrrm, "Rösten"...
    Well that's true. But we didn't have time to record a good version of it and the covers were already being printed so we had to save the situation! But we recorded it eventually. It's on a bonus-disc included in the latest re-issue.

And about releasing the 2003 Nearfest show. We didn't play very well and one mellotron is so horribly out of tune that it makes me nauseous. And some other stuff as well.
    But time makes everything a bit more acceptable, so maybe in the future... (I'm aware that it is in the future now from 2003, but I'm still getting a little bit too nauseous...)

Anna

^ Now, that makes perfect sense. Things like bad tonality really drive musicians nuts. I say that from experience.

hrrrm, "Rösten"...
    If you're talking about the super-short track on Epilog, I'd call that a "placeholder." By filler, I mean sub-par material, noticeably below what the artist is capable of creating. IMHO, there is not a single filler on those three albums.

As for the actual track that was released later, I haven't heard it, so I can't comment on it.

yes true about 2003 Anna... what about 2012? :-)
    posterity needs a proper live video document of that incarnation of the group.... something more permanent than some crappy youtube videos from someone's cell phone camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Nasser View Post
    It really doesn't matter what the audience thinks. They certainly don't think the performance has enough merit to be released. While they have not outlined WHY (and I see no reason why they'd have to justify this to anyone outside the band), they have made this point abundantly clear. Since they are the ultimate authority on what makes or falls short of being a sufficiently good Anglagard album, regardless of whether or not the album would sell out, I'd say this case is closed. Has been for years. Move on!
    It doesn't matter what the audience thinks? Then why bother performing live? A concert is for the audience, otherwise the band would never leave their rehearsal space. I don't want to move on, I want a live recording, nothing wrong with that, and its not asking for much. If they release it, I'll buy it, simple as that. If they don't, its a shame, it would make a great souvenir.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Not for Thomas. He needs them to justify it to him, all other scenarios are unacceptable.
    They can do whatever they want, I just think its a mistake. I love when bands go out of their way to please the fanbase, and set aside any perfectionist tendency. I've said it before, I don't want a perfect concert, I want the one I witnessed. I have a boot of the 2003 NF show, I'm pretty happy with it. But I'd much prefer the band make a few bucks on something I can purchase, and they have that opportunity. It seems some of you want me to agree with you, no questions asked. It's a two way street, maybe some of you need to need to stop trying to convince me you are right. You are doing the same exact thing as me but can't see it apparently. Not sure what is so different here that I'm criticized for stating a point I believe in.

It doesn't matter what the audience thinks? Then why bother performing live? A concert is for the audience, otherwise the band would never leave their rehearsal space. I don't want to move on, I want a live recording, nothing wrong with that, and its not asking for much. If they release it, I'll buy it, simple as that. If they don't, its a shame, it would make a great souvenir.
    Good point, Thomas. Very well put. I don't agree 100% but your argument is strong. Perfectionists shouldn't leave the studio.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Nasser View Post
    It really doesn't matter what the audience thinks.
    Quite true. It's perfectly acceptable to go out and play a crappy show for an audience, and then not release it on DVD ...BECAUSE IT WAS CRAPPY !!

Hail to the bootleggers ! Keeping bands honest since the '70s ! `

Good point, Thomas. Very well put. I don't agree 100% but your argument is strong. Perfectionists shouldn't leave the studio.
    Oh, I'm afraid you may make a few enemies with that statement! I think overall I'm being very possitive here. I wouldn't want the band to release a substandard recording, and I wouldn't want them to lose money. They seem not entirely happy with the performance, I have not heard any mention the recording was flawed. And losing money on this? Can't see how that is possible, maybe I'm wrong. By now I've beaten the horse so much, I'm sure it's dead by now....

Guapo - History Of The Visitation CD + DVD

(Fram Wayside Records) ". . .this set include a live DVD of the group from their 2006 and 2007 USA and European tours. This is the only live footage of the band available to the public and features former member Daniel O'Sullivan of Ulver and Sun 0)))."

Does anyone know if this DVD includes their NEARfest performance? They were one of the few bands to actually interact with the audience, running through the aisles. I loved it!
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    Guapo - History Of The Visitation CD + DVD

Does anyone know if this DVD includes their NEARfest performance? They were one of the few bands to actually interact with the audience, running through the aisles. I loved it!
    It includes HALF of their NF performance (the Five Suns part; they were unsatisfied with their performance of Black Oni and chose not to include it)

This is the song where they walked through the aisles and it includes that footage
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    It includes HALF of their NF performance (the Five Suns part; they were unsatisfied with their performance of Black Oni and chose not to include it)

This is the song where they walked through the aisles and it includes that footage
    And it is a damned fine memento of the show. Love both the new material and the DVD lots.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    And it is a damned fine memento of the show. Love both the new material and the DVD lots.
    Same here love the DVD and the new material
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Lino
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I realize it's probably an impossible dream, but a dvd of Gosta Berlings Saga's set at NF Apocalypse would be a tour de force.GBS were the highlight of that weekend, for me.
    That's the one I would want to see as well Walt! A couple others as well for sure, but that one would be great.

Lino
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    ^ I have no problem with that format, either. The point that I was making was that if I band doesn't want their recordings released, then they shouldn't be.
    The problem with artists like these is that they are their own biggest critics. We all know that fans don't notice 1/10 of the mistakes the band do. I'm sure I've been to 100 concerts in my life that i thought were mind-blowing, but the band itself was not pleased with. I like the warts and all. It's live ROCK music and that's the beauty of it...a ONE time happening that is what it is and stands on it's own. How often will a group of musicians have a "perfect evening"? That being said, most certainly, it's the band's decision to do as they please and nobody else's.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    The problem with artists like these is that they are their own biggest critics. We all know that fans don't notice 1/10 of the mistakes the band do. I'm sure I've been to 100 concerts in my life that i thought were mind-blowing, but the band itself was not pleased with. I like the warts and all. It's live ROCK music and that's the beauty of it...a ONE time happening that is what it is and stands on it's own. How often will a group of musicians have a "perfect evening"? That being said, most certainly, it's the band's decision to do as they please and nobody else's.
    Yep, as a musician myself, I am my worst critic by far. Whenever I bomb a performance and people come up and praise it, it almost makes me sick to my stomach. I'm sure all musicians are like that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    That's the one I would want to see as well Walt! A couple others as well for sure, but that one would be great.
    Gosta were an absolute dream. Perhaps my favorite as well, along with Anglagard and Aranis.

Lino
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Yep, as a musician myself, I am my worst critic by far. Whenever I bomb a performance and people come up and praise it, it almost makes me sick to my stomach.
    The thing is: the people who praise the performance are the correct ones (assuming they are sincere). If you're performing live for people, it's more important how it effects them, than it is how YOU feel about it. lol I remember running into the drummer and another dude from DFA in the hallway at FMPM in Montreal. I told him I loved their set, maybe even more than the one a few months prior at NF. From my POV, they were both excellent, but that's what I happened to say and feel at the moment - for me, it was a beautifully intimate setting, and was in a great frame of mind for the show...it was awesome. He looked at me like I had 2 heads. "D'averro?" (Really?) I confirmed I was sincere. But it was clear they thought the show didn't go quite as well. Coulda fooled me, it kicked ass. Sorry, my opinion is the one that counts.
    Certainly bands and artists may have really bad nights, shit happens. But people in the audience don't pay THAT much attention to minor mistakes. they are just loving seeing great performers doing their thing.

Having been on both sides of this kind of exchange, I totally get what you are saying. It took a long time, though, to learn to smile and just say thanks. I'm still learning. Oftentimes, it takes distancing oneself from a performance before you can fairly evaluate it.