Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yes Summer 2016 USA Tales/Drama tour

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Look upthread. Apparently they're taking Tales and Drama to the US and Fragile and Drama to everywhere else. I don't know why, other than they must think that only US audiences give a shit about seeing them play Tales apparently.
    We got the Fragile tour mid 2014.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Wow. Tales and Drama. That's quite ambitious. And scary....

Quote Originally Posted by Booba Kastorsky View Post
    Wow. Tales and Drama. That's quite ambitious. And scary....
    My guess is Billy and Steve pushed for this the hardest.

Billy's been pushing for Relayer, right?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'd be up for Yes and Time & A Word if they had Jon and Tony aboard. Short of that...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Billy's been pushing for Relayer, right?
    If I may quote my own website... In an Aug 2015 YesWorld Q&A, asked what Yes pieces he would like to play, Sherwood replied:

There are many, but there’s only so much time in a set. As things progress, which looks like they are, we’ve had some successful touring here so far and there’s other promoters and more opportunity coming online – I envision YES being back at a place where it plays by itself for three hours, rather then playing with another band, and at that point with a three hour set that we can fill, there’ll be some other material that I’m definitely gong to be suggesting.

[...] We’re talking about playing ‘Machine Messiah’ and ‘Drama’ stuff, which I love.

There’s plenty of stuff out there that I would love to dive into, but my favorites, if I could choose – ‘Gates of Delirium’ would definitely be part of the set and so would ‘Tomato’ – a lot of it – I love ‘Future Times/Rejoice’, ‘On The Silent Wings Of Freedom’, ‘Release, Release’.
    He also mentioned "The Gates of Delirium" in answer to another question, but added: "but I don't know how far my vote goes just yet… give me some time!" He is then asked which albums he would pick if doing the whole album format; he nominated Tales from Topographic Oceans and Relayer.

We also know that Davison and Howe like TfTO. I'd guess Squire was the main block to the album.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I'd guess Squire was the main block to the album.
    I guess I can see that. I'm sure Chris worked hard to keep promoters happy and I'm guessing taking all of Tales on the road is a bit of a tough sell. But I'll be very surprised if they do play all 4 sides. I'm sure Billy and Steve (and JD) are down with it, but Geoff and Alan? Maybe if they can be convinced it'll put butts in seats, but the rehearsal work that's going to be involved... well, color me skeptical.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I guess I can see that. I'm sure Chris worked hard to keep promoters happy and I'm guessing taking all of Tales on the road is a bit of a tough sell. But I'll be very surprised if they do play all 4 sides. I'm sure Billy and Steve (and JD) are down with it, but Geoff and Alan? Maybe if they can be convinced it'll put butts in seats, but the rehearsal work that's going to be involved... well, color me skeptical.
    I don't know if they'll do all 4 sides. Squire often said it was a mistake to do so with a new album in the 1970s, but the audiences are different now and the album no longer new!

I have a vague recollection of Downes saying nice things about Tales: he was a big Yes fan before joining the band, I think he liked all the albums (although I also recall him particularly picking out Time and a Word as a fave). White has also said nice things about Tales: it was his first studio experience with the band. So, I'm reasonably sure they both like the album. Whether it was their #1 choice to feature live, who knows? And, of course, there's a difference between something you like and something you then have to rehearse.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by billy sherwood View Post
    I envision YES ...
    Am I the only one who is concerned about this?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Am I the only one who is concerned about this?
    So far. 3 hour set tells me An Evening of Yes is more than likely.

Topographic is my favourite Yes album; Wakeman's least favourite.

But 'IMHO', it features his best work with Yes. Odd, is that.

When I listen to TFTO and esp. Relayer and Progeny live 1972 now I'm reminded how awesome AW's drumwork was at that time. Now I'm afraid these works would be nowhere near what they were with the state of his drumming these days.

Quote Originally Posted by YESHEAD777 View Post
    When I listen to TFTO and esp. Relayer and Progeny live 1972 now I'm reminded how awesome AW's drumwork was at that time. Now I'm afraid these works would be nowhere near what they were with the state of his drumming these days.
    Alan was amazing and could do it all---he came to Yes and saved them ---changed the sound just like when other first rate guys joined Yes--like Howe, Wakeman, Moraz---those were the good old days--long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by YESHEAD777 View Post
    But that's what drum loops are for! Just ask Phil Collins!