Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: David Bowie: Rate the albums

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Never really thought it was a terrible album either. There are some good songs on it, especially the first half as you mention.
    It's easy to jump on a bandwagon. BTW there was a less '80s' remix of 'Time Will Crawl' that first came out on a Bowie-sanctioned (he did notes for it) CD that came free with a newspaper. It is now also on the Nothing Has Changed CD.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Always felt 'The Laughing Gnome' has a certain charm. Daft as a brush but it knows it is, and it raises a smile.
    JJ88, I think you are right somehow I am warming up to this song too lately

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Always felt 'The Laughing Gnome' has a certain charm. Daft as a brush but it knows it is, and it raises a smile.
    I think it's a novelty song. Just for fun and I think I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonia_Mota View Post
    Bob and everyone else who is not very familiar with Space Oddity, also known as self titled David Bowie album (this was his second album not to be confused with the first one with same name), have a listen to Cygnet Committee, this song is unbelievable beautiful, also one of the best vocals from Bowie, lyrics wise too.
    These are the lyrics:
    http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/david...committee.html
    I’ve long been a fan of this song, and the Space Oddity album in general. This song tends to divide people but I think it’s a really powerful statement. You can really hear him unleashing some serious rage in this song. The story I heard was that he actually spent some time on a real hippie commune, which didn’t turn out to be a haven of “peace, love and freedom” at all, and all his disappointment with the experience, and with the hippie scene in general, was channeled into this song.

I really do like the Space Oddity album in general more than most. Lots of people consider it a lesser disc at best, but I really like Bowie the folkie. And it’s way, way better than his Deram debut! I’d say the only throwaway track (apart from “Don’t Sit Down,” at least it’s short) is “God Knows I’m Good,” which kind of sounds like a leftover from his Deram period.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Suspended
    ^^^ The disillusionment with hippies and counter-culture was a feature of a number of songs around that period. the Beatles did "Sexy Sadie", supposedly not about a lady but about the Maharishi. The Strawberry Alarm Clock did "Sit With a Guru", which could be taken literally but I think it was meant ironically. Sonny and Cher even did a song in which they express cynicism about the hippy movement.

1)Ziggy Stardust
    2)Scary Monsters
    3)Hunky Dory
    4)Lets Dance
    5)The Man who Sold the world
    6)Diamond Dogs
    7)Station to station
    8)Low
    9)Heroes
    10)young Americans

Honorable Mentionarkstar-definitely a great album, just so dark and creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    ^^^ The disillusionment with hippies and counter-culture was a feature of a number of songs around that period. the Beatles did "Sexy Sadie", supposedly not about a lady but about the Maharishi. The Strawberry Alarm Clock did "Sit With a Guru", which could be taken literally but I think it was meant ironically. Sonny and Cher even did a song in which they express cynicism about the hippy movement.
    Not forgetting We’re Only in It for the Money, an entire album on the subject. The difference is, Frank was just doing his usual, “Look, vapid trendy people, let’s make fun of them” shtick. With David, it was personal.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I've been collecting Bowie since he passed, in an effort to find out why he meant so much to so many different kinds of people. So far I have ...

Hunky Dory
    Ziggy Stardust
    Station to Station
    Low
    "Heroes"
    Stage (live)
    Scary Monsters
    Blackstar

I don't really have a favorite - honestly I enjoy all of them for different reasons, and I'm not going to rate them. What I can say is that Bowie was an incredible songwriter with a talent for choosing words that are fascinating and unpredictable. He also had a unique voice and a knack for interpreting with a sense of irony. As far as I can tell, this is a purely British thing - Ian Anderson, Kate Bush, Andy Partridge, Roy Harper, Richard Thompson - just a few artists who I also love for this very reason.

He also knew how to put together amazing bands and collaborators. I'm probably one of the few who loves the Ziggy era band with Ronson as much as the Thin White Duke / Berlin era band, as well as of course his experiments with Eno. I think also part of the appeal was that he was one of those artists who told his listeners "it's okay to be weird, it's okay to be unique". That's irresistible.

In short, I get it now. Bowie was a totally singular artist who contributed some amazing things to music.

My top three are Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane, Station To Station.

Aladdin Sane is such a great tune, and Mike Garson's piano solo is one for the ages!

The title track to Station To Station is also fantastic!

Check out the Live at Nassau Coliseum 1976 show on YouTube. Great stuff!

It's been maligned for some reason, but I love the final Ziggy show at Hammersmith Odeon. People say 'oh, it's sloppy' whilst usually praising the Santa Monica '72 gig where Bowie flubs lyrics on songs like 'Suffragette City' and 'Rock N Roll Suicide', and he does that 'whirrrrr' bit in 'Space Oddity'. Go figure!

There's such a high drama throughout that Hammersmith show, it really feels like such a big event even before his famous 'the last show we'll ever do' announcement.

Watched the Hammersmith show on Friday. Loved, loved, loved it, except for the "Width of a Circle" solo/vamp which went on forrrrreeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvvvver. Mick Ronson was a hell of a guitarist but not much of an improviser.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Something I just read, that hadn't occurred to me before but which certainly resonates with me, is that Bowie was great at creating really catchy singles and thus 2 or 3 great songs on an album, but unlike say, Neil Young, Kate Bush, Cardiacs, I can't think of a single Bowie album amongst my favourites, that is solid throughout. They are all flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Something I just read, that hadn't occurred to me before but which certainly resonates with me, is that Bowie was great at creating really catchy singles and thus 2 or 3 great songs on an album, but unlike say, Neil Young, Kate Bush, Cardiacs, I can't think of a single Bowie album amongst my favourites, that is solid throughout. They are all flawed.
    You don't think that Low or Ziggy are "solid throughout?"

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I certainly do, and I'd add Young Americans and "Heroes."

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    In the real world, these and many other Bowie albums will be acclaimed for decades to come.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I've been collecting Bowie since he passed, in an effort to find out why he meant so much to so many different kinds of people. So far I have ...

Hunky Dory
    Ziggy Stardust
    Station to Station
    Low
    "Heroes"
    Stage (live)
    Scary Monsters
    Blackstar

I don't really have a favorite - honestly I enjoy all of them for different reasons, and I'm not going to rate them. What I can say is that Bowie was an incredible songwriter with a talent for choosing words that are fascinating and unpredictable. He also had a unique voice and a knack for interpreting with a sense of irony. As far as I can tell, this is a purely British thing - Ian Anderson, Kate Bush, Andy Partridge, Roy Harper, Richard Thompson - just a few artists who I also love for this very reason.

He also knew how to put together amazing bands and collaborators. I'm probably one of the few who loves the Ziggy era band with Ronson as much as the Thin White Duke / Berlin era band, as well as of course his experiments with Eno. I think also part of the appeal was that he was one of those artists who told his listeners "it's okay to be weird, it's okay to be unique". That's irresistible.

In short, I get it now. Bowie was a totally singular artist who contributed some amazing things to music.
    Ian, what you said! I love you too much! You described it all amazingly well xxx