Thread: Procol Harum: Procol Harum-2015 Esoteric 2 CD Remaster.

Procol Harum: Procol Harum-2015 Esoteric 2 CD Remaster.

I can't think of a band that suffered more from the 60's British practice of not including hit singles on UK album releases than Procol Harum's self titled debut album. Devoid of the mega hit "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" and the European hit "Homburg", Procol Harum stalled on the album charts in both America and the UK when released in 1968. The album also featured "Conquistador" as the side one lead off track, and remarkably, it was not issued as a single after strongly being considered. (The song would resurface as successful live single in the early seventies.) Esoteric/Cherry Red Records has done yeoman duty righting this wrong with all of the above noted songs included on their 2012 CD reissue, and now have gone one better with a double disc collection that demonstrates "Whiter Shade" being rerecorded without the studio drummer that gave the original single release such drama and power. Esoteric contends that "Whiter Shade " would never have charted without the studio drummer and I agree. An extended 6+ minute version of "Whiter Shade" is also featured along with the entire original mono album remixed and mastered in true stereo!

Esoteric has convinced me that this album should have been a proto prog classic to rival "Days Of Future Passed", "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake", PF's "Piper At The Gates.." and every psychedelic song ever released by the Fab Four.
    Last edited by StevegSr; 01-16-2016 at 09:31 AM.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

I can't think of a band that suffered more from the 60's British practice of not including hit singles on UK album releases than Procol Harum's self titled debut album. Devoid of the mega hit "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" and the European hit "Homburg", Procol Harum stalled on the album charts in both America and the UK when released in 1968.
    Wasn't Homburg originally supposed to be on Shine On Britghly?
    A Salty Dog (not that it was a major hit) was also left out of the album of the same name in either the US or the UK

Esoteric has convinced me that this album should have been a proto prog classic to rival "Days Of Future Passed", "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake", PF's "Piper At The Gates.." and every psychedelic song ever released by the Fab Four.
    You can add The Nice's Thoughts of Emerlist Davlack to that awesome classic early proto-prog list
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

"A Whiter Shade of Pale" was always included on US pressings of the first album (which dropped "Good Captain Clack" and moved "Conquistador" to side two). "A Salty Dog" was always on the album of the same name in both UK and US.

Suspended
    Are you quite sure about Conquistador not originally being a single? I'm sure I remember it being on radio and being a minor hit - and I'm referring to the studio version, not the later live version.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Are you quite sure about Conquistador not originally being a single? I'm sure I remember it being on radio and being a minor hit - and I'm referring to the studio version, not the later live version.
    StevegSr is correct, "Conquistador" was not originally a single. It was released later as a single in Europe (but not the USA or UK) coupled with "Homburg," probably to capitalize on the success of the live version. Note that this sleeve actually specifies "studio version."

I cannot agree more although am unsure about the AWSOP drummer quote. I have always considered this along with 'A Salty Dog' a classic. Indeed I would put the first four albums in this category as well as the live one without any sense of hyperbole. AWSOP was their ruination in terms of being regarded as a singles band when they clearly were a creator of great albums. But I suppose AWSOP did mean they will always be known by the masses!

The stereo AWSOP with the original drummer has been around since the late 90s...it's on the Westside 30th Anniversary Box, where I think it made its first appearance.

It's a strong debut, although better was to come. I always felt like 'She Wandered Through The Garden Fence' might have been a hit, it feels like a more upbeat, quirky version of the classical extravagance on AWSOP. 'Repent Walpurgis' is a real gem, a doom-laden instrumental. Perhaps 'Conquistador' is the most enduring track.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Jackson View Post
    I cannot agree more although am unsure about the AWSOP drummer quote. I have always considered this along with 'A Salty Dog' a classic. Indeed I would put the first four albums in this category as well as the live one without any sense of hyperbole. AWSOP was their ruination in terms of being regarded as a singles band when they clearly were a creator of great albums. But I suppose AWSOP did mean they will always be known by the masses!
    Just to set the "session drummer" business to rest, the original Procol Harum, in 1967, was made up of the familiar Gary Brooker on piano and vocals, Mathew Fisher on organ and David Knight on bass. Guitar duties were taken up by the short lived Ray Royer, who left before the recording sessions for Procol's s/t debut album. The band was between drummers when "A Whiter Shade of Pale" was recorded and used studio session man Bill Eyden.

Eyden was replaced by short timer Bobby Harrison, who the band tried to use to re-record "Whiter Shade" but he was simply not up to snuff and the surviving session tapes prove it. Bill Eyden is and has always been the drummer on the 1968 worldwide smash single release of "Whiter Shade."

Both Royer and Harrison were replaced by the more talented Robin Trower and B.J. Wilson, on guitar and drums respectively, and it is this line up that recorded Procol Harum's follow up albums "Shine On Brightly" and "A Salty Dog". Bassist Knight would leave PH after "Dog" and a number of replacement players would start entering and departing the band after that.
    Last edited by StevegSr; 01-17-2016 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Dyslex spelling

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    Guitar duties were taken up by the short lived Roy Rayer, who left before the recording sessions for "Shine On Brightly".
    Actually his name is Ray Royer. I saw an article once mentioning that he later became a Scientologist and was part of a short-lived band of Scientologists including Mike Garson and Woody Woodmansey of Bowie's band, and Licorice from the Incredible String Band.

Quite right my friend. Being dyslexic has it's disadvantages at times, but my recall of past musicians and events continues unabated.
    Last edited by StevegSr; 01-16-2016 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    Both Royer and Harrison were replaced by the more talented Robin Trower and B.J. Wilson, on guitar and drums respectively, and it is this line up that recorded Procol Harum's follow up albums "Shine On Brightly" and "A Salty Dog".
    and what reinforcements they were ... these twpo were among their best in their respective trade
    In Procol's case, it's a bit of the similar case as the Jethro Tull case, where most of the leader's former group finally came in to replace bit by bit the original (but not "classic" lineup

The Paramounts >> Procol Harum
    Whatever their name was in any given week in Blackpool >> Jethro Tull
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.