Thread: Kim Mitchell (Max Webster) suffers heart attack

Kim Mitchell (Max Webster) suffers heart attack

Just saw this come through:

Alert Music confirms that Canadian rock legend and former Max Webster frontman, Kim Mitchell, had a heart attack in the early morning of January 12th. After successful emergency surgery, Kim is resting in hospital for another day or two. Doctors tell him it will be 6 - 8 weeks before he is back to full strength.

Kim would like to thank the nurses and doctors at St. Joseph's and St. Michael's hospitals in Toronto. Stay tuned for updates.

from http://bravewords.com/news/canadas-k...rgency-surgery

The doctor warned him: " No cigarettes...no matches. And instead of whisky or beer might as well go for a soda."

Hope he recovers.. I believe he's working on Q107 in Toronto these days. I don't know what happened to him exactly. He was having a stellar solo career here back in the 80s and then he just fell off the musical map.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Kim actually left Q107 last year after DJing there for eleven years. He can still be seen at local shows especially in the summer, but he's only released two new albums in the last twenty years. He had some decent solo songs here and there, but overall it was not even close to as good as Max were IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I agree that his solo stuff was never on par with the Max Webster material, but he became a household name in Canada in the late 80s. Hell, I must have seen him live at some event or another at least a half dozen times from '85-'90...

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Glad to hear Kim's on the road to recovery. I probably saw the Mighty Max a half dozen times between 1975-80.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I agree that his solo stuff was never on par with the Max Webster material, but he became a household name in Canada in the late 80s.
    For sure. You couldn't escape "Patio Lanterns", "I Am A Wild Party", "Lager And Ale", "Go For A Soda", etc... fun songs for sure. I always liked "Rockland Wonderland" the best I think.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The video for "Go For A Soda" is pure awesomeness. Get well, Kim.

Lot of love for Kim/Max here. This news should've been posted on the front page...

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I always liked "Rockland Wonderland" the best I think.
    Same here. Flew up to TO and saw this tour; at Canada's Wonderland. Incredible performance, incredible crowd.

Get well Kim.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I definitely think this belongs on the main forum.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    The video for "Go For A Soda" is pure awesomeness. Get well, Kim.
    Tried to get my band to play it a few times and they'd never "go for" it. Said they'd never heard it and no one would know what it was. Like I care if people had heard it before, lol.
    <sig out of order>

Those who think this should be on the main page must not be too familiar with his solo work.

Get well Kim.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

HUGE HUGE Fan, and very saddened by this. What a week for bad news! Get well Kim! Keep rocking! We need you! What would summer at the Kee To Bala be without a Kim Mitchell concert?
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Lot of love for Kim/Max here. This news should've been posted on the front page....
    Admins - feel free to move this to front page. I'm a big Max Webster fan as well, but wasn't sure the right spot for this posting.

Get well, Kim!!

Never a fan of his solo work... A major disappointment considering the first four Webster albums.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Admins - feel free to move this to front page. I'm a big Max Webster fan as well, but wasn't sure the right spot for this posting.
    Those who think this should be on the main page must not be too familiar with his solo work.

Get well Kim.
    Exactly.. Webster might have a shot at front page, but Kim solo , no way
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Get well, Kim!!

Never a fan of his solo work... A major disappointment considering the first four Webster albums.

Exactly.. Webster might have a shot at front page, but Kim solo , no way
    Except Kim was the central nervous system of Max Webster.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Except Kim was the central nervous system of Max Webster.
    Kim, thanks a million for your ever-so-lightly prog-related Max Webster music

BTW, who cares what page this is on?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I don`t really care. The guy had major surgery and has a month or more of recovery. I just hope he has a good recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I don`t really care. The guy had major surgery and has a month or more of recovery. I just hope he has a good recovery.
    Word or +1

I fail to see the importance of where this thread is... If you combine your forums, you see every thread that gets any action on the same page. I never pay any attention to which forum a thread is in...

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I fail to see the importance of where this thread is... If you combine your forums, you see every thread that gets any action on the same page. I never pay any attention to which forum a thread is in...
    Thought there was a reason there were separate forums here. Guess you're right. And René Angelil deserved to be put on the front page.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Kim actually left Q107 last year after DJing there for eleven years. He can still be seen at local shows especially in the summer, but he's only released two new albums in the last twenty years. He had some decent solo songs here and there, but overall it was not even close to as good as Max were IMO.
    "Kids In Action" is high on my list.

I love his sort of, semi-slightly-country solo album Aural Fixations. Some great rockers and ballads, and very well produced. Also loved the grit of the song "big smoke" Its part of my normal listening routine. I've used the opening song "world such a wonder" as a tune to check the sound of the PA mains for years and people almost always asked me what that song was and who it was by. Kim has done some amazing solo work and I do have all his solo albums. I think he just got tired of the road. Who can blame him given the current music environment. I hope he gets better. Not that I'm expecting to hear anything from him anytime soon. One of my favorite guitarists ever. Just a killer guitar guitarist with amazing tones, - to my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Thought there was a reason there were separate forums here. Guess you're right. And René Angelil deserved to be put on the front page.
    Actually there is a reason why they separate the forums here, I just find it superfluous is all. It's ALL PE in the end.

...and don't you roll your eyes at me young man!