Thread: Best Bookcase for CDs (Value vs Sturdiness)

Best Bookcase for CDs (Value vs Sturdiness)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1XBPHGHAXLHDG

This has been my go-to bookcase for CD's for a number of years. Back in the day, they were better constructed. They still work okay for me, but I'm looking at acquiring a fairly substantial collection to resell on Amazon and thought I'd see if anyone else had any other recommendations.

Peter

I go with Boltz but they're racks, not bookcases. My wife keeps her CDs in an IKEA bookshelf that has survived hell and highwater for ten years.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Here's one from Walmart, similar to the one at Amazon, however: http://www.walmart.com/ip/17439335?w...737552&veh=sem

Best Buy, has them: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/atlantic...&skuId=4221557

I wish I could think of where I bought some of mine from, but it was too long ago now. The last case I bought was from Big Lots, and it's pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I go with Boltz but they're racks, not bookcases. My wife keeps her CDs in an IKEA bookshelf that has survived hell and highwater for ten years.
    I can vouch for the IKEA bookcase too...1991 my house flooded (2 ft water for at least 12 hours).....the bookcase TO THIS DAY looks at though water had never touched it.

I use the Billy bookcase from Ikea and sometimes get the glass doors. They used to have an insert for each shelf that kept the cds at different depths. They don't sell them anymore but I had some pvc deckboards left from a job that work perfect when I build them.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I always build my own, tied to the wall for earthquake, it's only flat boards and right angles, not hard.

I use the boltz and have more than 7500 CDs. BUT I buy them used on craigslist, lots cheaper and since they are metal the used ones aren't chipped, scratched, etc.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I have two Ikea bookcases with glass doors and the CD insert holders. Totally satisfied.

An alternative to that bookcase is: made-for-CD boxes, especially shallow ones w/ dividers, such as the 100-CD boxes at link below. For fairly easy access, these can be stored on wirerack-type shelves, such as in a closet (and nicely out of sight); that 1000-CD capacity can be achieved with 5 shelves on top of each other (with 2 of these 100-CD boxes per shelf). Cost: Around $100 ($120 if you want the corrugated plastic instead of cardboard), plus the cost of wirerack shelves. Good especially if you don't need to see half of a wall filled with CDs in a room.
    https://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-276-...age-boxes.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Yaman Aksu View Post
    Good especially if you don't need to see half of a wall filled with CDs in a room.
    Sounds good but my CDs (including lots of rare stuff) is on display in these nice bookcases.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Sounds good but my CDs (including lots of rare stuff) is on display in these nice bookcases.
    BTW I was only referring to the bookcase in the original post, not the one in your post.:-)

BTW I was only referring to the bookcase in the original post, not the one in your post.:-)
    No problem. The system you have works best for you.

Thanks for all the responses.

Looks like what I have is the best value for money:

Atlantic (Best Buy/Wal-Mart/Amazon) 1080 = 12 cents per CD storage cost

Boltz = 35 cents per CD storage cost (though can be cheaper on second-hand market)

U-Line Boxes = 8 cents per CD (but is impractical for my purpose - I need easy access to for order fulfillment).

Peter

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    An alternative to that bookcase is: made-for-CD boxes, especially shallow ones w/ dividers, such as the 100-CD boxes at link below. For fairly easy access, these can be stored on wirerack-type shelves, such as in a closet (and nicely out of sight); that 1000-CD capacity can be achieved with 5 shelves on top of each other (with 2 of these 100-CD boxes per shelf). Cost: Around $100 ($120 if you want the corrugated plastic instead of cardboard), plus the cost of wirerack shelves. Good especially if you don't need to see half of a wall filled with CDs in a room.
    This is how I have most of my CDs stored right now. Not my ideal, but those boxes do hold a lot at a good price. I used to buy the cardboard ones, but recently got some of the plastic ones.

However, I'm excited because we're soon moving to a new house we're renovating, and I'll have lots more storage space than I've ever had, as well as be able to set up a nice surround-sound system.