Thread: FEATURED CD - Tortoise : Beacons of Ancestorship

FEATURED CD - Tortoise : Beacons of Ancestorship

Per Allmusic:
    Returning after a five-year gap (which, granted, included a box set and a collaborative record with Bonnie "Prince" Billy), Tortoise confronted a pair of age-old musical questions: does anyone really care about an experimental rock group after 15 years, and does said group actually have anything to say after that length of time? After all, the sound of rock's future circa 1994-1996 was beginning to sound tired by the time of 2004's It's All Around You, and the sense was growing that Tortoise should call it quits and begin accumulating enough years of inactivity to eventually be rediscovered, remastered, and reunited. Beacons of Ancestorship neatly squashes all those questions and assumptions, revealing a band that is just as fascinated with sound, just as intrigued by its myriad possibilities, and just as unerring in presenting those ideas in the form of entertaining instrumental music as when it debuted in 1993. The time signatures are constantly shifting, the lights of vitality and inventiveness Tortoise displayed 12 years earlier are completely undimmed, and the reference points for their music are constantly expanding (on tap here, among the dub and Krautrock and minimalism and jazz, is surprisingly abrasive punk for "Yinxianghechengqi"). The opener is eight minutes of bliss, wheeling and turning every few minutes, eventually leading to a great full-band jam that looks back to an earlier age of Chicago post-rock with a closing that's strikingly reminiscent of early Trans Am. The spaghetti Western impressionism of "The Fall of Seven Diamonds Plus One" would be perfect for their excellent TNT LP, and the group gets positively off the wall at the end, with a pair of songs ("Monument Six One Thousand" and "Charteroak Foundation") that pit guitar lines over drums-and-bass tracks that don't sound as if they were recorded for the same selection. It can be incredibly difficult for an experimental group to continue experimenting for years on end without getting stale, but Tortoise achieve that balance effortlessly.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/beacon...p-mw0000815965

Regards,

Duncan

Another great album from them (I'm waiting for the new one in my mailbox at the end of the month). Somewhat stripped down compared to previous albums (less vibes, more guitar, more rockin' in general), I wonder if they will keep that approach on the new one.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

My favorite by the band. For me its sort of a marriage of all their earlier albums. Gigantes!

Excellent album! And a token to their ability to create variations on their otherwise so personal formula. This album proved that they were still absolutely capable of making vital, fresh and contemporary "rock".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Another great album from them (I'm waiting for the new one in my mailbox at the end of the month). Somewhat stripped down compared to previous albums (less vibes, more guitar, more rockin' in general), I wonder if they will keep that approach on the new one.
    New album? Oh boy! That's good news.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

This is a great one, and it restored my faith in the band after the sluggish snooze-fest that was It's All Around You.
    Several parts on Beacons give me a "Genesis live 1980-1982" vibe; kinda proggy, quick tempos, fusionish riffs, and a distinctly "Mike Rutherford as played by Daryl Stuermer" quality that's hard to pin down. A worthy investment for curious prog fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    My favorite by the band. For me its sort of a marriage of all their earlier albums. Gigantes!
    I only have the first three but I'm listening for the first time right now. So far so good! "Gigantes" indeed! It's a standout so far.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Useless trivia: The name of the first song on this album is the first line from ZZ Top’s brilliant “Master of Sparks”.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

I got this when it came out on the strength of some very good reviews and was disappointed.

I kept waiting for the music to surprise me and it never came close. Not for me, I guess.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    I got this when it came out on the strength of some very good reviews and was disappointed.

I kept waiting for the music to surprise me and it never came close. Not for me, I guess.
    Had you heard Tortoise previously or was this your first one?
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Don't have and haven't heard this Tortoise before now.I have Millions Now Living....;TNT and Standards.

I'm digging it.So far.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    Had you heard Tortoise previously or was this your first one?
    It was the first (and only) one I'd heard by them.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

It was a spark of creativity after the last completely satisfactory Tortoise album that for me was "TNT". The 5 year slow-down did them good i.m.o. However, I think that the style they're after, has exhausted itself in most cases and sounds incredibly tired...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    It was a spark of creativity after the last completely satisfactory Tortoise album that for me was "TNT". The 5 year slow-down did them good i.m.o. However, I think that the style they're after, has exhausted itself in most cases and sounds incredibly tired...
    Based on that --- I would submit that more than half the music on this site could be labeled "exhausted" and "tired." :P

^

Did you ever consider it not to be so?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Based on that --- I would submit that more than half the music on this site could be labeled "exhausted" and "tired." :P
    Exactly. I find mostly straining to keep up especially with styles/genres that kicked off cliche-free to age as cliche-ridden.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 01-13-2016 at 10:06 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I like this but I can let it go... If anyone would like to try it... $8 shipped in the USA. Email me at laduca@msu.edu if you have interest.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    However, I think that the style they're after, has exhausted itself in most cases and sounds incredibly tired...
    The new one is going in different directions. At least two songs have vocals and lyrics; here's one of them, a cover of the David Essex song "Rock On"

The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    ^ The new one is/was streaming at pitchfork and all I can say is...yikes. Pretty terrible overall, with just a few moments of the strength of Tortoise coming though. Especially lacking in the rhythm department...

However...this one (Beacons) is quite good. Not quite up to par with their first three but a step up from Standards and It's All Around You.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    The new one is going in different directions. At least two songs have vocals and lyrics; here's one of them, a cover of the David Essex song "Rock On"
    Listened to several tracks of it. Wasn't at all impressed.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS