Thread: Can someone translate this German text?

Can someone translate this German text?

leinenstucken von der begnadigten augustinerin anna catharina Emmerick im rufe der heiligzeit gestorben zu dulmen, am 9 febnar 1824, woselcst ihr grab und ihr sterbehaus (deathhouse) sehr verehrt wird

From a note in an old antique a fiend just purchased. Any help would be appreciated.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

That seems to be rather mangled Altdeutsch (and it’s not even a complete sentence, never mind the bungled upper/lower cases), but *very* loosely translated:

…pieces of linen, which belonged to the pardoned Augustinian (nun) Anna Katharina Emmerick, who died in Dülmen on 9 February 1824, where even her grave and last residence (“death house”) are still revered.

NB: I left out the phrase “im rufe der heiligzeit” since it might actually mean „im Rufe der Heiligkeit“; this could refer to her beatification, although that did not happen until 2004...

(Note also that the word "woselcst" does not even exist in German, but is phonetically close enough to "wo selbst"...)
    Last edited by at least 100 dead; 01-11-2016 at 07:36 AM.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Thanks, This is the story I know so far:

picked up stuff from auction including 3 really old german religious images, one has a little folded piece of paper under glass below image with german text on it

I type the letters as best as I can :

leinenstucken von der begnadigten augustinerin anna catharina Emmerick im rufe der heiligzeit gestorben zu dulmen, am 9 febnar 1824, woselcst ihr grab und ihr sterbehaus (deathhouse) sehr verehrt wird

which almost translates to:

Linen Stucken to dulmen died of the pardoned Augustinian Anna Catharina Emmerick in calling the holy time , on 9 febnar 1824 , her grave and her Sterbehaus woselcst ( death house ) is very revered

Lots of Google, she's a crazy German saint person who died in Dulmen in 1824... can't find the image I have or any reference to it, decide to remove from glass, find part of newspaper from first half of 19th century, nothing about image, notice that the little paper with text is folded up, unfold it, find small piece of linen glued to back center, whoa

I don't know what I have, could be some kinda thing, could be antique sucker-the-tourist item, but it's sho intriguing... know anyone who reads old german (I know I have some of the letters wrong)?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

It appears to be a note about some kind of reliquaries (clothes of Anna Katharina Emmerick, who was beatified in 2004). Whether these reliquaries are genuine remains to be seen.

It appears to be a note about some kind of reliquaries (clothes of Anna Katharina Emmerick, who was beatified in 2004). Whether these reliquaries are genuine remains to be seen.

If you send a photo of the document to baldjeanandfriede@yahoo.com I may be able to tell you more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/272104476851?

We're not sure if it's a religious relic. I believe religious relics cannot be sold. Notice that the linen is not mentioned.

The guy selling it read a bunch about selling relics, one of the suggestions was to write as though you were selling the container and not the contents. Less sacrilegious in a way (and less offensive than selling body parts). Granted, other containers are usually fancy, but he followed that advice.

He also avoided making any claims, it's simply a piece of paper with fabric glued to it that has text on the front, that's all he can be sure of, so he's letting the buyer determine value (as long as he agrees, of course).

He wasn't even sure he would list it, thinking he might get some religious flak from someone for listing this but luckily not yet. He was able to get a better translation, too, which is one that listing. I think he found it behind an old photo he bought or something like that. Maybe it was kept there for safe-keeping.

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post

NB: I left out the phrase “im rufe der heiligzeit” since it might actually mean „im Rufe der Heiligkeit“; this could refer to her beatification, although that did not happen until 2004...
    I think it is simply an old way of saying, "this renowned very holy person"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/272104476851?

We're not sure if it's a religious relic. I believe religious relics cannot be sold. Notice that the linen is not mentioned.

What people get mixed up here is the authorized sale of religious items with the unauthorized sale of relics connected to Saints. However, it is not illegal, it is only prohibited by the RC church. But as a simple transaction selling/buying relics etc. is not illegal. But if like me you believe in bad vibes and bad mojo in objects then you won't buy or sell any true relics connected to acknowledged Saints.

http://blogs.reuters.com/faithworld/...sales-on-ebay/

On the sale of religious articles generally the Roman Catholic church says this: that any religious article new or old that is sold loses the power it may have contained and consequently any religious value it may have had to the faithful, and the new owner (if a believer) must get them blessed ASAP. And so conversely any Catholic purchasing any old or new religious articles will get them blessed as soon as possible, and this is not only to imbue them with power but also to remove any bad mojo that may have been in them.
    So for example, when I was at mass in The Vatican in October, I got the Rosary beads that I bought there blessed by an Italian Cardinal after the Papal Mass.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I think it is simply an old way of saying, "this renowned very holy person"
    Not really. He has a reputation to be holy. This does not mean he actually is; he could be like the monk in the novel by Matthew Gregory Lewis, who has a reputation to be a holy man but actually is not.

Renowned and reputed can however be used as synonyms. i.e. is KNOWN to be.

Whatever the case, she was a visionary and stigmatist.

Beatified in 2004 yes, but not yet Canonized, so therefore not a saint, and as such sale/purchase of her relics should not contravene Roman Catholic Canon law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Catherine_Emmerich