Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: RIP David Bowie

DVR set - thanks!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Yes 35th Anniversary on now, followed by Gilmour.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Yes 35th Anniversary on now, followed by Gilmour.
    The other stuff

Yes 35th Anniversary
    David Gilmour Live Gdansk

Not prog:
    Peter Frampton
    Def leopard
    Led Zep Celebration
    Elton John
    Blondie
    Hyde Park, Who, Paul Weller
    The Who Kids are Alright

It's been a year now since I succeeded in getting David's 14 albums from the 60s and 70s on LP. Those and the latest two are what I have, pondering about whether or not to get the 'in between' albums as well in this format (if ever released that way).

Surrounded by Bowie:
    Bowie collection 4.jpg

^Nice!

I don't see Aladdin Sane, that's essential and the one gap in your collection of studio albums of his 'classic' period. Look out for the handful of non-album singles...'John I'm Only Dancing' for instance was only on compilations. There's also the live album David Live...some don't like this or Stage. Based on the CD reissues with extras, I find both essential.

As for what followed, I read somewhere that 1: Outside received some kind of vinyl release in full for the first time ever. You'd enjoy that if you liked The Next Day and Blackstar.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ne...-its-entirety/
    Last edited by JJ88; 04-10-2016 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I don't see Aladdin Sane, that's essential
    +1
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Saw Iggy Pop on the weekend, and couldn't help thinking of Bowie as Iggy tore through songs from the Lust For Life and The Idiot. In fact the whole show seemed Bowie-like to me , from the staging to the make up and sound of the band. Anyway, it was a killer show with superb sound....and Iggy was amazing considering his age. I'm sure David would be smiling from above.

Banned
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...entary-reveals

David Bowie did not know he was dying until last few months

Documentary looking back at singer’s last five years says suggestion that his final single Lazarus was a ‘parting gift’ to fans is wrong

David Bowie only discovered his cancer was terminal three months before he died, according to a documentary marking the anniversary of the superstar’s death.

The film, David Bowie: The Last Five Years – due to air on BBC2 on Saturday night, a day before what would have been the singer’s 70th birthday – reveals that Bowie discovered his treatment was to be stopped while he was filming the music video for his final single, Lazarus.

Bowie died on 10 January 2016, days after turning 69 and the release of his 25th studio album, Blackstar, having kept his illness a secret from the world.

“David said: ‘I just want to make it a simple performance video’,” said Johan Renck who directed the video, which features Bowie singing lines such as “Look up here, I’m in heaven” from a hospital bed.

He insists the common interpretation of the video – that the singer was hinting that he was on his deathbed – is wrong, because he came up with the concept a week before Bowie received his final diagnosis.

“I immediately said ‘the song is called Lazarus, you should be in the bed’,” says Renck. “To me it had to do with the biblical aspect of it ... it had nothing to do with him being ill.

“I found out later that, the week we were shooting, it was when he was told it was over, they were ending treatments and that his illness had won,” said Renck.

Yet even then, Bowie had not given up hope of surviving his cancer and was still keen to make new work just weeks before he died, according to Ivo Van Hove, who directed Bowie’s musical, Lazarus. In the programme he recalls one of the last exchanges the pair had, after the play made its debut in New York in 2015.

Describing how they sat chatting backstage, despite Bowie being noticeably weakened by his illness, Van Hove said: “He got through the night. I really am convinced that he was fighting death and he wanted to continue and continue. Afterwards we were sitting behind stage and he said ‘let’s start a second one now, the sequel to Lazarus’.”

The new documentary is the work of Francis Whately, and continues a narrative from his previous Bowie documentary for the BBC, David Bowie: Five Years, which was first broadcast in 2013 and focused on five of the singer’s most significant years between 1971 and 1983.

As part of a series of programmes this month, BBC4 will broadcast rarely seen Bowie performances from its archive, Martin Kemp will present a show dedicated to Bowie’s Life on Mars, and 6Music will host a “listening party” for the public’s favourite Bowie album, and a tribute show.

The latest Whately documentary looks in depth at the making of Bowie’s surprise 2013 album, The Next Day, his 2016 jazz-infused album Blackstar, which was released days before he died, and his first stage musical, Lazarus.

“This period hadn’t been explored by anybody so it was very interesting territory,” Whately told the Guardian. “In some ways he seems to have worked harder in that period than at almost any other time, except the beginning of the 1970s when he was producing Ziggy Stardust, Hunky Dory and Aladdin Sane.”

Bowie’s death came as a shock to the world. He had only shared news of his illness with those closest to him, and those collaborators who needed to know for professional reasons, such as Lazarus producer Robert Fox and his long-time friend and collaborator Tony Visconti, who both also appear in the documentary.
    Whately emphasised how much energy Bowie had thrown into his final three projects, particularly Blackstar and Lazarus, right up until his death.

“Often he would go and record in the studio and then go and watch the rehearsals for Lazarus in the evening, or talk about the play in the morning, go to the studio, and then come back. It was quite an extraordinary workload,” said Whately.

“I think everyone would like me to say he was turning up to the studio to record Blackstar and he was terribly ill, but I don’t think he was. There are musicians in the Blackstar band who didn’t even know. We all now know he was ill, we know he was undergoing treatment, but it doesn’t seem to have had an effect at all on his output.”

Was he a man who took on these multiple projects because he sensed his time was running out? “We just don’t know,” said Whately.

The documentary also explores Bowie’s increasingly uncomfortable relationship with fame, which he had embraced at the beginning of his career as a means to gain creative freedom, but in later years he came to loathe.

After a heart attack in 2003, he took himself almost entirely out of the public eye. Whately says Bowie would have liked to have moved back to London, but stayed in New York for the relative anonymity it allowed him.

“I don’t find it strange he kept his illness so private,” said Whately. “He’d had his life picked over for 40 years and he thought he had said everything he wanted to say, there was nothing more.”

Whately describes as “simplistic” the narrative adopted by the media after Bowie died, that Blackstar was the singer’s deliberate parting gift to fans.

“I still don’t know if he started making Blackstar before he knew he was ill, or after,” he said. “People are so desperate for Blackstar to be this parting gift that Bowie made for the world when he knew he was dying but I think it’s simplistic to think that. There is more ambiguity there than people want to acknowledge. I don’t think he knew he was going to die.

“However, he must have known there was a chance he wasn’t going to recover, so, to do an album with a certain amount of ambiguity in it, is Bowie playing the cat and mouse game that he always played.”

Whately and Bowie had known each other for almost two decades, having worked together on a short film at the beginning of Whately’s career, and the pair regularly kept in touch over email. It was an exchange mainly of book and film recommendations, everything from Pulitzer-prize winning novel The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz to the 1973 BBC documentary series The Ascent of Man. Whately said Bowie would consume a book a day.

“I remember him once emailing me about American female soccer,” said Whately. “Who would have thought that David Bowie was a female soccer fan? It’s just not what you expect but it speaks to the man, that there was clearly nothing he wasn’t willing to learn about.”

He added: “The David Bowie that I knew in my limited way was incredibly courteous, was incredibly polite, well informed, utterly charming. But I would question anyone who said they really knew him. I don’t think anyone knew him.”

Out of respect for the privacy that Bowie valued so highly, Whately did not interview any of his family members and the film focuses on his musical, not his personal, life. However, he said he hoped that he had captured Bowie’s warm personality, and the particular pride the singer had in realising a lifelong dream to stage a musical in New York.

Michael C Hall, who played the lead role in the play, said Bowie’s satisfaction had been evident. “The last thing I remember David saying to me, after the hugs and the smiles after that opening night performance, was: ‘I think it went well tonight, don’t you?’”

70th birthday today....
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Fine tribute from Chemical Dreams (Martha & The Muffins-related):

This is pretty cool. The metamorphosis of David Bowie.

2 year anniversary. RIP David.

HBO has been running the documentary, "David Bowie: The Last Five Years" and it is wonderful, highly recommended.
    The title is a bit misleading as it really covers his entire career while providing insight into his last 5 years.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Yesterday, I heard a radio talk show with an interesting angle on his death: almost worth a conspiracy theory. The author of the "angle" (I think he wrote an essay about it) suggest than David was euthanized (to his own demand), because his body was cremated within hours of his death and no family in attendance.

Euthanasia is only legal in a few country (Belgium is one of them) and under strict rules (you must write an official declaration when still of "sane and sound mind" - often kept by notaires and a copy to the official doctor) to have it performed. So the dude (I caught only part of the debate) suggest that the incineration was so quick as to prevent having an autopsy/inquiry in case doubts arose.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yesterday, I heard a radio talk show with an interesting angle on his death: almost worth a conspiracy theory. The author of the "angle" (I think he wrote an essay about it) suggest than David was euthanized (to his own demand), because his body was cremated within hours of his death and no family in attendance.
    I thought I heard something similar not too long after he died, something to the effect that it was "doctor assisted suicide" (that's basically what we call euthanasia, Stateside).

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    This is pretty cool. The metamorphosis of David Bowie.

Changes would have worked fine to.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post

HBO has been running the documentary, "David Bowie: The Last Five Years" and it is wonderful, highly recommended.
    The title is a bit misleading as it really covers his entire career while providing insight into his last 5 years.
    I have only watched about half of it so far, but yes it is really well done. Lot's of footage both old and new that I have never seen before.

Andrea Chimenti did a lot of David Bowie-songs the last couple of years.

There's a live-LP (Canta David Bowie) from this:

Took Station to Station with me on my commute yesterday and still can’t believe how many people we’ve lost in the last few years that I grew up listening to. RIP David we miss you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just started a chronological run-through of all of David's albums. I've done it before...and it was great. I've no doubt I'll do it again too.

This time around, I've just reached 1972, so next up, I'll be playing the 'Santa Monica 72' and 'Ziggy Motion Picture' live albums, followed by 'Aladdin Sane'. That'll see me through part of Monday and Tuesday!

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake root View Post
    I've just started a chronological run-through of all of David's albums. I've done it before...and it was great. I've no doubt I'll do it again too.

This time around, I've just reached 1972, so next up, I'll be playing the 'Santa Monica 72' and 'Ziggy Motion Picture' live albums, followed by 'Aladdin Sane'. That'll see me through part of Monday and Tuesday!
    I remember hearing that Santa Monica show in the radio. They used the ode to joy intro which was deleted off of the cd version. B Mitchell reed or whatever his name was had a long intro also which wouldn’t fit on the cd version but I miss hearing it. I think I still have the radio broadcast on tape somewhere. I really like that show even though I think Bowie didn’t and never wanted it released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Took Station to Station with me on my commute yesterday and still can’t believe how many people we’ve lost in the last few years that I grew up listening to. RIP David we miss you.
    I remember when Jim Henson of muppet fan fame died at age 53 in 1990. It was a sad surprise and for the first time thought there will be a time when actors and musicians that I grew up with will have almost a stream of obituaries in the news. For me, this began with John Ritter in 2003 for actors and Michael Jackson in 2009 for musicians.

I'll bet David's estate gets a bit of a boost with "Life on Mars" being so heavily featured in the SpaceX Falcon Heavy launch. Couldn't have happened to a nicer weirdo.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post

I put this on the DVR a while ago and finally watched it this weekend. Wonderful indeed, and yes, while it concentrates on the last five years there's material spanning most of his career. I had forgotten how he disappeared from view following his heart attack. I never saw much footage of the Lazarus production but there's some really good stuff here. That ending would have left me in tears.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes