Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chicago II

Chicago II

Hello to All!

Is Chicago 2 a fine, fine release...or what?

I played it tonight for the first time in quite a while!

- YA!.....Man

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Chicago 2 is the best brass rock album ever! First and 3 are good too....

CTA, Chicago (actually it's not called 2) and Chicago 3 are all fantastic, and the Carnegie thing is outstanding as well

But my fave is still 7
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Easily my favorite Chicago album, but if you haven't checked these out, also look at Chicago V (their first non-multi-album release) and VII.

This was the first record I ever owned. Still love it. I recently reviewed it on my website - kevincummingsmusic.com - as it will always have a special place in my record collection and my memory.

Kevin

Chicago was my first love. Everything up through Chicago VIII is well worth a listen - especially Side Two of that second album. So good.
    The Prog Corner

Chicago 2 is one of my go to DVD-A discs to show off my surround sound system. Excellent harmonies.

I have often wondered why Chicago style music isnt still really popular. Its seems like an almost seamless link between the 40's up to today. Was CTA also called Chicago 2? - I had never heard that before. Is there a Chicago 1?

Don't remember if a heard II or CTA first, but both those albums knocked me on my 12 year old ass in 1970. I really became fanatical about Chicago. Back then I knew that I wasn't gonna play electric guitar in a school band so I became a horn player (trombone and trumpet) and being a fan of Chicago back then made it look that horn players were cool too. Chicago was my gateway to jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I have often wondered why Chicago style music isnt still really popular. Its seems like an almost seamless link between the 40's up to today. Was CTA also called Chicago 2? - I had never heard that before. Is there a Chicago 1?
    CTA is in reality Chicago 1. I think the story goes that the actual "Chicago Transit Authority" in Chicago that handles mass transit and the trains, sued them over the name after the first album was released. That constituted the name change to "Chicago". Anybody feel free to correct me if the story has lost something in the retelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    CTA is in reality Chicago 1. I think the story goes that the actual "Chicago Transit Authority" in Chicago that handles mass transit and the trains, sued them over the name after the first album was released. That constituted the name change to "Chicago". Anybody feel free to correct me if the story has lost something in the retelling.
    I think that's the story I hear/read somewhere, but even in the liner notes of CTA, James W. Guercio says "from now on refer to them simply as Chicago" or similar words. I personally think CTA is their best album. It's so damn heavy. Terry Kath goes crazy on that album. It was a marriage of heavy, psychedelic, jazzy guitar, and a punchy horn section.

I prefer the debut, but this one is great as well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

It's one of their very best. The recording quality sounds like ass though, probably their worst engineered album, unfortunately.

The Ballet is their greatest accomplishment. I suspect many have no idea it even exists and think Colour My World and Make Me Smile are stand alone tunes. Not so. They are part of a greater, side long work. It's the pieces in between them that really make it fantastic. The "Anxiety's Moment" section sounds very Zappa/Uncle Meat inspired. Brilliant stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    The Ballet is their greatest accomplishment. I suspect many have no idea it even exists and think Colour My World and Make Me Smile are stand alone tunes. Not so. They are part of a greater, side long work.
    They tend to play the whole thing live, even though their shows are pretty much greatest-hits.

Agreed. I finally saw them this past summer and they played the whole thing. I totally got my money's worth and would have been bummed if they didn't play it. They KNOW it's their best work, I suspect....

V and VII are the underappreciated gems of their catalog, IMHO. CTA and II are classics and Carnegie Hall is just a nutso exhibition of guitar prowess.

I dug the first LP (although it peters out), the second not so much, and I never went further.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

There was a thread at the FB Kath group pitting VII against X.

No contest! X is one of the least inspired Kath era albums. I'd listen to VIII or XI first, any day and they are pretty weak too.

Haven't heard this in years, but a terrific album- agreed on it being a terrible sounding album, alas.

Agreed. I finally saw them this past summer and they played the whole thing. I totally got my money's worth and would have been bummed if they didn't play it. They KNOW it's their best work, I suspect....
    I think it's telling that that do so much from the early days, but relatively few of the '80s hits.

^Cetera is no longer there, right? That doesn't help.

To me III is as good as II, or at least as varied. V was/is still pretty damn good, VI was a disappointment, VII was pretty good, VIII was where I jumped off the bandwagon. Never went further.

One of my favs. Played CTA-XI last week to remember Terry Kath who died in January 1978. Chicago II great brass, great guitar licks. great tunes. Well worth it. I like I-IV, and VII. V, VI are good, not as sappy as their post Kath work. X and XI are good but Kath is way down in the mix. You can hear some of the sap beginning to flow. (lol)

Old man of prog
    It's one of their very best. The recording quality sounds like ass though, probably their worst engineered album, unfortunately.

The Ballet is their greatest accomplishment. I suspect many have no idea it even exists and think Colour My World and Make Me Smile are stand alone tunes. Not so. They are part of a greater, side long work. It's the pieces in between them that really make it fantastic. The "Anxiety's Moment" section sounds very Zappa/Uncle Meat inspired. Brilliant stuff!
    Always love this album growing up a sax player. Remember driving around listening to it on 8-track. Also thougt for years it sounded dreadful until I got a 24/192 copy a couple of weeks ago. What a revelation! Sounds effing awesome