Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steven Wilson interviewed on Tom Robinson's BBC6 radio show

Suspended
    Not to worry, I'm sure I'll hear lots of previews on the Kscope podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    This probably merits a separate thread, and I haven't yet listened to the interview, but can you explain why you [I quote] "love" that comment ? I'm asking (again not knowing if Wilson really meant a significant part of prog lyrics/concepts are really about such things) because to be honest, I don't think there's that much truth to this particular cliché about prog lyrics.
    I don't give SW a complete pass for invoking that stereotype, but I think he's using it in the same way that, for example, videogamers joke about all videogamers living in their parents' basement: i.e. it's a dumb stereotype and everyone who knows anything about the field knows that it's dumb but it's a useful shorthand for a particular sort of misapprehension. It's obvious that SW knows full well that Prog lyrics are not dominated by sci-fi & hobbits ... he's just showing that he's not so inside the field that he isn't conscious of how it looks from outside.

Incidentally, I'd say that a real cliché of Prog lyrics is 'the isolation of the individual' and that's a cliché that SW is very much guilty of peddling ... maybe he mentions sci-fi and hobbits to deflect attention from areas where he might be more subject to the anxiety of influence?

Quote Originally Posted by cannygoodlike View Post
    On a related note, I'm surprised "Glad To Be Gay" hasn't been mentioned yet. It must be TR's most famous song apart perhaps from "2-4-6-8 Motorway". (Despite being glad to be gay, he married a woman later in life. I suppose "Glad To Be Bi" doesn't have the same ring to it.)
    I remember '2-4-6-8 Motorway' being a big hit with the laddish element at my secondary school. When 'Glad To Be Gay' came out (unintentional pun) you've never seen so much furious back-pedalling in your life...

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Sordel View Post
    Incidentally, I'd say that a real cliché of Prog lyrics is 'the isolation of the individual' and that's a cliché that SW is very much guilty of peddling ... maybe he mentions sci-fi and hobbits to deflect attention from areas where he might be more subject to the anxiety of influence?
    That "cliche", if it be that, is hardly restricted to prog.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    You're missing the vimeo video preview of a new track in that rectangle apparently.

Link for anyone who can't see the embed. Steven Wilson - My Book Of Regrets
    thanx
    i.ain't.dead.irock