Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson interviewed on Tom Robinson's BBC6 radio show

Suspended
    Steven's outtakes are better than most artists' magnum opuses.

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Wasn't "Bully For You" - performed by Peter Gabriel on his Melt tour - a Tom Robinson tune?
    They wrote it together-- primarily PG's tune and TR's lyric. Another collaborative song, "Atmospherics," was on TR's North by Northwest album.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    They wrote it together-- primarily PG's tune and TR's lyric. Another collaborative song, "Atmospherics," was on TR's North by Northwest album.
    Thanks!
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    This probably merits a separate thread, and I haven't yet listened to the interview, but can you explain why you [I quote] "love" that comment ? I'm asking (again not knowing if Wilson really meant a significant part of prog lyrics/concepts are really about such things) because to be honest, I don't think there's that much truth to this particular cliché about prog lyrics. If you look closely, early/classic prog actually dealt with "earthly" issues rather than dreamt of faraway planets or extraterrestrial beings, outside of a few obvious cases like "Watcher Of The Skies". I don't mind prog being criticised for its faults, but this one's always puzzled me.
    Oh yes, totally. Thys "myth" needs to be debunked in large part

Ah ha Bob, so you're a fan of BBC 6 Music as well. I listen to it at some point every day. It is my favourite music station, bar none.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Ah ha Bob, so you're a fan of BBC 6 Music as well. I listen to it at some point every day. It is my favourite music station, bar none.
    Actually I was unaware of it until the link was posted on the porcupine Tree forum, but I may well be visiting it in future. Not that I am short of podcasts from other places to occupy my spare moments.

I continue to listen to these 3 "new" Steven Wilson songs from the interview incessantly. They've really grown on me and I find myself liking all three very much. I'm anxiously awaiting the album's release next week.

Not too impressed yet. I wish he could explore the Insurgentes sound further.

6 music is the best station bar none, it has intelligent presenters, supports both majors and indie labels and Stuart maconies freak zone has been one of Esoterics biggest champions for many years.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    FANTASTIC interview! Notice how not ONCE did Tom Robinson ask him "So, any chance of Porcupine Tree getting back together?"

Bravo.
    I don't know this Tom Robinson... is there a reason he'd bring up Porcupine Tree? Knowing Wilson was in another band like Porcupine Tree is somewhat a trivial tidbit like knowing Ryan Adams was in a band called Whiskeytown; both are known more for what they're doing now, since their old bands were relatively obscure anyway.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Vermillioncore is the best of the bunch...otherwise this album is sort of a throw-away for me.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I don't know this Tom Robinson... is there a reason he'd bring up Porcupine Tree? Knowing Wilson was in another band like Porcupine Tree is somewhat a trivial tidbit like knowing Ryan Adams was in a band called Whiskeytown; both are known more for what they're doing now, since their old bands were relatively obscure anyway.
    He was asking Steven about his history, so it's hard to see how he could have avoided mentioning Porcupine Tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    For those unfamiliar with Tom Robinson, he had some success in the late 70's / early 80"s with his band, their big hit was 2-4-6-8 Motorway.
    "Power in the Darkness" by the Tom Robinson Band is a classic power pop album and a big hit of the early punk days. I'm impressed that few people remember him...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Suspended
    Tom Robinson wrote the lyrics to "Elton's Song" by Elton John, which at the time was considered rather controversial and made it pretty clear that Elton was at least bisexual, if not downright gay. Of course, "Big Dipper" from the previous album was a bit of a giveaway too.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    "Power in the Darkness" by the Tom Robinson Band is a classic power pop album and a big hit of the early punk days. I'm impressed that few people remember him...
    I even saw TRB live back then, they were a rock solid outfit, sadly I don't have that album anymore, but will search it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    He was asking Steven about his history, so it's hard to see how he could have avoided mentioning Porcupine Tree.
    Well, admittedly I don't know who his audience is.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Before the Tom Robinson Band, TR was a member of a band called Café Society - I saw them support Barclay James Harvest at Manchester's Free Trade Hall in 1975 (on the Time Honoured Ghosts tour). An obscure prog link for you there then...

Tom Robinson wrote the lyrics to "Elton's Song" by Elton John, which at the time was considered rather controversial and made it pretty clear that Elton was at least bisexual, if not downright gay. Of course, "Big Dipper" from the previous album was a bit of a giveaway too.
    On a related note, I'm surprised "Glad To Be Gay" hasn't been mentioned yet. It must be TR's most famous song apart perhaps from "2-4-6-8 Motorway". (Despite being glad to be gay, he married a woman later in life. I suppose "Glad To Be Bi" doesn't have the same ring to it.)

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by cannygoodlike View Post
    On a related note, I'm surprised "Glad To Be Gay" hasn't been mentioned yet.
    I already mentioned it.

Ah sorry - missed that.

Suspended
    Three days of big black rectangles? Or is there some reference I am missing?

Three days left until 41/2 is released...thats the cover of the new ep/album

Three days of big black rectangles? Or is there some reference I am missing?
    You're missing the vimeo video preview of a new track in that rectangle apparently.

Link for anyone who can't see the embed. https://vimeo.com/151422247

Edit: I keep trying to make this a link, and PE insists on embedding it. Oh well.
    Last edited by jamesmanzi; 01-19-2016 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    You're missing the vimeo video preview of a new track in that rectangle apparently.

Link for anyone who can't see the embed. https://vimeo.com/151422247
    oops...sorry about that.