Thread: All Right, Who's on Discogs

All Right, Who's on Discogs

and what do you use it for and what do you think ??

I didn't notice it much till this last year, but it has certainly become one the chief places to get information on a lot of obscure releases. So I joined up. My user name is KGHinSpace.

After one afternoon, I'm reasonably impressed, and am motivated to try and put "the whole collection" on it. Not the least because I might eventually move out (i.e. sell) a few CD / LPs that don't have enough good stuff to be interesting (to moi) any more. But already found a few nits to pick especially with how classical musical is handled by the database. Still the amount of information on offer is way superior to the smidgen of metadata you can attach using (say) itunes.

What do the rest of think ???

regards
    KGH
    www.artbykgh.com

Wherein one can peruse all manner of Digital Artwork & Photography. . .

I spent a lot of time on Discogs when I was cataloging my record collection, and while there's a lot of information there, I found like any user-maintained database a fair amount of it is unreliable. The people who run it seem to have some issues with ceding control, and the way it is organized leads to a fair number of errors and duplications.

YMMV.

Suspended
    I've bought some stuff there when I couldn't find it on Amazon or when it was somewhat cheaper than Amazon. I've never sold anything there (or anywhere else online).

One trap to watch out for: when you make an enquiry from a seller, that's interpreted as an intention to buy. You need to keep watching out for their response, and either confirm and pay for the purchase, or else explicitly say no and cancel, otherwise you may get tagged as a "non-paying buyer" which affects your reputation and may preclude you from some subsequent purchases. This happened to me: I made an enquiry about shipping charges, then forgot all about it until a couple of weeks later because of lots of other things going on in my life. When I finally remembered and checked, I found my reputation sullied.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 01-09-2016 at 05:27 AM.

I sell a lot on Discogs and I've bought a few items. It's much faster and easier to list your items than on eBay - they have most of the info, all you have to do is grade your item and decide on the price and you're good to go. You won't get top dollar here, but for reasonably priced items I've found it a good way to go. You won't get the enormous audience that eBay does, but last time I looked there were close to 10 million items available. I've found quite a few obscure items that were not available on eBay, and at a fraction of the price I expected to pay.

When searching for infos, I tend to use RYM more than Discogs, because it seems for user-friendly, but I'm not sure it's anymore or anyless reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I spent a lot of time on Discogs when I was cataloging my record collection, and while there's a lot of information there, I found like any user-maintained database a fair amount of it is unreliable. The people who run it seem to have some issues with ceding control, and the way it is organized leads to a fair number of errors and duplications.

YMMV.
    That's also the case in ProgArchives and even worse on RYM (it can take years to get a minor change on albums, if you don't got web buddies to vote your changes)... It's a fiefdom phenomenum... they got life & death power over a little area, and they will defend it like their own private property.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I've bought some stuff there when I couldn't find it on Amazon or when it was somewhat cheaper than Amazon. I've never sold anything there (or anywhere else online).
    While I know Discogs is also for selling and buying, it's never occured to me to buy or sell there ... or on e-Bay, FTM

unless through PA & PE lists, I generally don't sell via the web. I tend to get brid of it directly to second-hand B&M shops
    Last edited by Trane; 01-09-2016 at 04:51 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I've had most of my collection of about 750 CDs (mainly jazz and rock) listed on Discogs for 18 months and have sold over 300 of them (initially at a rate of about 5 a week, now down to perhaps 2 a week) without any problems at all. I've recently added all my 12" and a bunch of 7" singles and although they are only selling very slowly I've been happy with the prices. I'd previously used Ebay exclusively but with Discogs I particularly like the fact that once you've listed an items it stays there until you sell it - Ebay seems labour-intensive by comparison, certainly when trying to sell a large collection (although it's probably better for quicker sales of specific items).

I think Discogs is a cheaper platform for sellers. Until recently they charged a lower commission than Ebay (8% v 10%) but recently have had to add VAT (in the UK at least) so that has evened out. They still don't charge commission on postage costs, unlike Ebay.

I certainly buy much more on Ebay although I'm equally happy with both.

I have used Ebay much much less (as a seller) than I used to since starting with Discogs, and I wonder whether that's also a trend with other collectors. If so, I just hope they are never bought out.

Suspended
    Discogs was where I managed to find a copy of Strictly, Inc. That alone, for me, justifies Discogs' existence.

I started using Discogs a year or so ago.It has become(for me),an invaluable source for cds i want that are out of print,rare,hard to find etc.I've purchased around 15 cds from Discogs and other than one occasion, i've been totally satisfied with the conditions of the disc and packaging.

I've been lucky on a few occasions, finding sellers in the USA and saving on postage charges.Buying from European sellers is always more expensive,adding postage to the price.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

When searching for info I tend to go to an artist,'s official site or Allmusic or wikipedia. Discogs in my experience only includes what different people have for sale. It isn't a reliable source for complete discographies.

One trap to watch out for: when you make an enquiry from a seller, that's interpreted as an intention to buy. You need to keep watching out for their response, and either confirm and pay for the purchase, or else explicitly say no and cancel, otherwise you may get tagged as a "non-paying buyer" which affects your reputation and may preclude you from some subsequent purchases.
    The only way this could have happened if you have actually placed an order. Placing an enquiry is done by simply sending a message to the seller and can never result in getting tagged as a non-paying buyer. Remember, Discogs Marketplace is not a central led online store but hundred / thousands of mini-stores. If you see an item of interest, click on the shipping terms to see what the cost might be. If it isn't clear enough then simply click on Contact Seller and ask them about it. But as soon as you actually placed an order and you then do nothing, sure you get a NPB rating.

One trap to watch out for: when you make an enquiry from a seller, that's interpreted as an intention to buy.
    This, of course, is utter horseshit. You seriously can't tell the difference between a big green button that says "Add to Cart" and a link that says "Contact Seller"?

Quote Originally Posted by KGHofSF View Post
    After one afternoon, I'm reasonably impressed, and am motivated to try and put "the whole collection" on it. Not the least because I might eventually move out (i.e. sell) a few CD / LPs that don't have enough good stuff to be interesting (to moi) any more. But already found a few nits to pick especially with how classical musical is handled by the database. Still the amount of information on offer is way superior to the smidgen of metadata you can attach using (say) itunes.
    I am on Discogs now (ChrisEfterklang) and the best advice I can give for you, the beginner on there, is to begin catalogueing your collection by keeping those items that you can't find in the database aside and don't start adding new submissions immediately. In this way you become a bit more familiar with all the possible variables when it comes to releases in the database (things like Matrix / SID codes / Runouts etc.).
    Once you have done so I would then again look at those items you have put aside and again check wether or not they are not in the database and then carefully start adding them to the database. It helps a lot if you do submissions including complete images because if you then run into problems people can help you out by checking these.

Classical music can be entered quite well into the database once you know your way around it a bit. I actually made a very long post on the Forum about the need to have some additional Guidelines / Instructions on how to enter a Classical Release, something I intend to try to move forward in the next few weeks:

http://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/701164#6994945

The one thing that however seriously needs an update is the Genre / Styles thing when it comes to Classical. We have the Genre Classical and Styles which are based on timeframes (Early, Baroque, Romantic etc.). What it needs in fact is something in between Genre and Styles which I proposed should be called Form. I have discussed it here: http://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/701281

I often use Discogs as a resource site, which I think is excellent. Sometimes you want to know info about a specific pressing or issue. Over the years I've also purchased about ten items that were out of print or otherwise difficult to find elsewhere. Often I find sellers are overpricing things, but when I spot a good price, or when it's a must-have, I jump on it. I got both the Jethro Tull 20th and 25th anniversary boxed sets from a seller who allowed for "Make an offer". Beautiful!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Yeah, I mostly use it as a resource now, but may try and sell some vinyl on it later. I need to take a closer look at it.

Oh forgot to mention but I do quite a lot of editing on Discogs as well. I have my whole collection now catalogued there and am in the process of going through them all and one by one adding as much info / detail as possible to those releases, right now I am somewhere in the middle of the E section. Besides that all new items I acquire get the same treatment. Added this one today, which took the better part of the afternoon to do properly (i.e. up to the standards I have set myself):

http://www.discogs.com/Jan-Van-Der-R...elease/7953562

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Added this one today, which took the better part of the afternoon to do properly (i.e. up to the standards I have set myself):

http://www.discogs.com/Jan-Van-Der-R...elease/7953562
    Looks like an enormous waste of time to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    Word.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    This, of course, is utter horseshit. You seriously can't tell the difference between a big green button that says "Add to Cart" and a link that says "Contact Seller"?
    Yes I can, but there's no point in further discussion if you are going to descend to abuse.

Another man's waste of time, is another man's hobby.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    So to catalog your collection there, you just register, then search for a CD and when you find its entry, add it to your collection or something like that?

And is this also how RYM works? But I guess Discogs is better because you can use it to sell your stuff too?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    So to catalog your collection there, you just register, then search for a CD and when you find its entry, add it to your collection or something like that?
    Yep that's how it works. And if that is the only thing you want to do (so never the intention to sell anything) you might not need to be too 'anal' about which version of a release you add to your collection. However, when you at some point want to sell anything this becomes very very much important. And then you might face yourselves with the job to add new versions to the database. But only if you have made sure that one isn't in the database yet (see my earlier post).
    Discogs is a great resource but adding releases is a bit of a learning curve.

Shipping the wrong version then the one you have put up for sale is a sure fire way of getting a really low rating very fast. I pretty much never buy from someone who has a rating below 95%.

I've found quite a few obscure items that were not available on eBay, and at a fraction of the price I expected to pay.
    This!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by tonewalk View Post
    I have used Ebay much much less (as a seller) than I used to since starting with Discogs, and I wonder whether that's also a trend with other collectors.
    My case as well. Due to the reasons you mentioned.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I've been a frequent DisCogs user since it's beginnings -back in 2001, when it was the only reliable place for info concerning trance, jungle and other electronic releases. These genres were poorely documented at the times. Run by some DJs, the site intended to be the largest database of electronic music related releases and nothing more. At a later stage, in 2004 they introduced some hip-hop. Rock music and other genres were included at the period from 2005 to 2007, and from then the database grew expontentially. At its early stages, trades were possible through PMs among contributors and in dedicated groups of interest where you had to subscribe (for free). The organised marketplace started in the end of 2007. Close to the end of the 00s, eBay change of politics that discouraged individual sellers in favour of large stores, drove many collectors to DisCogs and the data base skyrocketed.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Excellent ressource of info. I use it frequently.
    Have bought some albums there too.