Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman- ARW

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    My only gripe with Rabin is that his talents are wasted IMHO scoring such sh*tty movies. Good for his bank balance, but it sucks for his fans who want to hear him rock. Jacaranda is a great record and hopefully the AWR record will be great too.
    Indeed. And his scores even aren't very good. He is like some third-rate version of Hans Zimmer.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Indeed. And his scores even aren't very good. He is like some third-rate version of Hans Zimmer.
    Agree about his scores---and it is interesting he never really went for a rock band but it seems like a financial decision---as a leather pants wearing Van Halen playing guitarist---I'm not sure the 70 year old JA and RW are great compliments to him ---but whatever---The three piece band I wait for is THE MUTE GODS----out in about a month--3 amazing players hope it doesn't disappoint.

I'd guess Lou Molino would be the pick for the drum chair, but, assuming Sherwood is off the table, the choice of bass player is going to be a big one. Do they go for a Squire clone or for someone who will put his/her own stamp on things?
    I know some years back they approached a possible bass player, but for what it's worth in late 2012 Anderson said, "We talked about getting an ensemble on stage with three of us, rather, you know, than five or six or seven other musicians."

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    About the most I can say for now is that we have decided to tour.
    thanks for all the good vibes.- TR
    I thought Wakeman wasn't really touring any more?

I think there would be considerable interest in this tour, but I'd prefer a studio album. Whatever, good to know these guys are doing something.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    And Rick Wakeman has been pretty critical of 90125.
    Henry, has Rick been critical of 90125? I know that he is not a fan of 'Union', but I seem to recall seeing interviews with him where he was pretty over the top positive about 90125. Even calling it "brilliant" if I recall correctly. I think I may have seen him say this on "YesSpeak" or one of the other Yes documentaries from back in the 90's or 00's. It could be my mistake, but I always got the impression that he was quite enthusiastic about the album.

That said, I agree with your assessment about Wakeman "noodling" over "Owner". It seems that their styles woukd clash in a way, but who knows? It could end up being great. I am more excited about the prospect of this project than I am about a new Yes album or tour. That's not a slam on Yes as I thought that 'Fly from Here' was excellent. I just think that, being that this would be Rabin's first visible rock project in a long time, he would be quite determined to make sure it is of significant quality.

^That is indeed wrong. Rick spoke very positively about 90125 on the Classic Artists DVD and got on very well with Rabin personally. As for his opinion on the post-Jon era, well....that's not so kind!

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    ---as a leather pants wearing Van Halen playing guitarist---I'm not sure the 70 year old JA and RW are great compliments to him ---but whatever---The three piece band I wait for is THE MUTE GODS----out in about a month--3 amazing players hope it doesn't disappoint.
    I too am interested in 'The Mute Gods', but I think you are seriously underestimating Rabin's talents and abilities. Your comment is more about a 1983 Trevor Rabin and even that is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. That said, I don't want to turn this into one of those "Rabin ruined Yes" threads. If that is your impression of Rabin, I think he may surprise you.

Rick has always talked positively about Rabin---just don't think their styles are a good match but whatever---their collaboration on Journey wasn't that interesting.

Rick has always talked positively about Rabin---just don't think their styles are a good match but whatever---their collaboration on Journey wasn't that interesting.
    In my opinion, that album was not good, but Rabin was a guest on what was Wakeman's vision. If this new project results in a studio album, my hope would be that the vision role is reversed. Though I have always thought that Wakeman is an exciting musician, his solo albums can be hit or miss. Mostly miss actually.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I thought Wakeman wasn't really touring any more?
    He's gone back and forth on this. As far back as 2007, he announced he was cutting back and not doing any "long spells of touring". He also talked of not doing any touring that meant he wasn't spending every night back home. But he's done bits of touring since, including short legs (2, 3, 4 dates) overseas. He talked of "over 100 dates planned around the world" for the Journey tour in 2014, although I think he eventually did about 10, nearly all in the UK. I presume that was down to a lack of promoter interest. But recently he again said he'd been overdoing it and cancelled some dates, although he has some one-off shows still booked.

So, as perhaps with Anderson, Wakeman may want a less pressured touring schedule, but I think he is up for some touring.

Henry

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I know some years back they approached a possible bass player, but for what it's worth in late 2012 Anderson said, "We talked about getting an ensemble on stage with three of us, rather, you know, than five or six or seven other musicians."

Henry
    I hope they have the good sense to go out augmented by a bassist, a drummer and maybe one additional singer to fill out the vocal harmonies if the bassist doesn't also sing. So three extra musicians, not five, six or seven. Just the three of them wouldn't be very good unless the show were all acoustic.

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    I too am interested in 'The Mute Gods', but I think you are seriously underestimating Rabin's talents and abilities. Your comment is more about a 1983 Trevor Rabin and even that is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. That said, I don't want to turn this into one of those "Rabin ruined Yes" threads. If that is your impression of Rabin, I think he may surprise you.
    I don't hate Yes west--have all the albums and they just don't hold up well for me at all---rarely listen to them---still listen to 70's Yes all the time---his last album was his best especially when he sounded like and took the approach of Howe lol and not like a guitar hero---no doubt of his talents but his album before the last one were just not the kind of music I listen to. I Like real prog, jazz fusion, alternative, art rock, electronic---

Henry, has Rick been critical of 90125? I know that he is not a fan of 'Union', but I seem to recall seeing interviews with him where he was pretty over the top positive about 90125. Even calling it "brilliant" if I recall correctly. I think I may have seen him say this on "YesSpeak" or one of the other Yes documentaries from back in the 90's or 00's. It could be my mistake, but I always got the impression that he was quite enthusiastic about the album.
    Wakeman has been positive about Rabin and 90125 in recent years, but in the past he's called "Owner of a Lonely Heart" "Owner of a Horse and Cart" in a pretty offhand manner. Wakeman has clearly liked Rabin as a person since they met on the Union tour. Their friendship is not in doubt. I don't see any sign of Wakeman thinking much of Rabin's music before they became friends. And I'm unconvinced that Wakeman has any compatibility with the music!

That said, Anderson did say in 2013 that the trio would like to play Talk live, while in a 2011 interview, he said they were talking about playing material from Talk, 90125 and Big Generator. In another 2011 interview, Anderson talked about them playing "Perpetual Change" and "Heart of the Sunrise". Yet another 2011 interview had this from Anderson:

doing some concerts, re-looking at the album Talk, and 90125, Big Generator, and a couple... two or three Yes classics, but centering in on that and maybe... We've written a couple of new songs
    So Anderson's been reasonably consistent in his view of what the set will be. What I can't remember is seeing any interviews in which Wakeman says what they might play live, except one where he talked of "lots" of new music.

Henry

How long until this devolves into some weird UNION 2 featuring Anderson, Davison, Wakeman, Howe, Rabin, White, Downes, Sherwood?

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Impman View Post
    How long until this devolves into some weird UNION 2 featuring Anderson, Davison, Wakeman, Howe, Rabin, White, Downes, Sherwood?
    Back in 1991 there was enough of a market for Yes to field an eight man band and for everyone to get a fat check. I don't think the pie is big enough in 2016. I think it could only happen if they got into the R&RHOF which seems increasingly impossible to me after this past year's debacle. If they can't get in in a year where Yes finished second in the fan vote and Chris Squire died then they will probably NEVER get in. But Charlie Brown keeps trying to kick that football...

I don't see that happening at this point because I don't think there is a major record label that would care like they did in 1991.

I had the same thought. I say by April. It could be just a tour and not a Union II album, though. It's been 25 years since Union with a record industry in disarray. Go technology!

Back in 1991 there was enough of a market for Yes to field an eight man band and for everyone to get a fat check. I don't think the pie is big enough in 2016. I think it could only happen if they got into the R&RHOF
    I don't think getting into the R&RHoF, while a useful publicity boost, would make that much difference to the commercial prospects of the band, with or without a reunion line-up.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I had the same thought. I say by April.
    I bet not, least not by April.

It's Yes: anything could happen. But I think AWR planning to tour has just two likely outcomes: AWR touring or nothing happening as the project gets delayed yet again.

Henry

I don't hate Yes west--have all the albums and they just don't hold up well for me at all---rarely listen to them---still listen to 70's Yes all the time---his last album was his best especially when he sounded like and took the approach of Howe lol and not like a guitar hero---no doubt of his talents but his album before the last one were just not the kind of music I listen to. I Like real prog, jazz fusion, alternative, art rock, electronic---
    Understood. I just have a feeling that the Trevor Rabin of 2016 is going to be musically different than the Rabin of the 80's regardless of having former Yes partners with him. It should be interesting regardless.

I bet not, least not by April.

It's Yes: anything could happen. But I think AWR planning to tour has just two likely outcomes: AWR touring or nothing happening as the project gets delayed yet again.

Henry

I agree with you Henry. Who would really care at this point ultimately? I am a Yes fan and personally, I would much rather see what AWR comes up with then see a combined tour. I see some excitement generated with Anderson being back in the fold, but other than that, what is the point? Rabin certainly doesn't need to do it and it seems he would be more interested in seeing where AWR goes.

Understood. I just have a feeling that the Trevor Rabin of 2016 is going to be musically different than the Rabin of the 80's regardless of having former Yes partners with him. It should be interesting regardless.
    Indeed.

It's a long time since we've heard these people together, and we've never heard them in quite this combination.

It's been a bit over 21 years since Anderson and Rabin played together on stage. Add another couple of years for the last time Wakeman and Rabin played together. Indeed, Rabin has played on stage with Howe, White and Downes all more recently. (Obviously Anderson and Wakeman have toured more recently.)

Henry

I really hope this happens, I've been looking forward to this since it was first mentioned. If it does I wouldn't mind seeing something like this:

Set 1

Rythm of Love/the Calling/Miracle of Life/New song/AYAI

Acoustic Set: Wonderous Stories/The Meeting/Love Will Find A Way/All Good People

JA solo spot:

TR solo spot: Sludge/Something to Hold On To/Wakeman rejoins to jam on Anerley Road

RW solo spot: something from Henry VIII/Rabin rejoins to do a little jam

New song/Hearts

Intermission

Set 2

Heart of the Sunrise/Changes/Endless Dream

Encore (obviously)

Owner/Roundabout

That said, I still struggle with the idea behind this band...
    Obviously it's still too early to say what their intentions are (but speculating is fun! )

I wouldn't get too hung up on what sort of "vision statement" they may have put together for all of this. But with Jon and Rick involved I'm sure money is a BIG motivator (hey, that could be an album title... ). As I said earlier, I think the three of them know this would be a low-risk (hopefully low maintenance) way to get something out there that could make them all a little coin. They could do the virtual recording/trade-files-over-the-Internet thing (I'm guessing with TR handling final engineering/production chores) and hopefully by cashing in on the Yes brand the thing will be easy to market.

But what the music will sound like is the real question. I'm not expecting a CTTE or a 90125 Mk II. Something even approaching ABWH or Talk would be a surprise, though more realistic. I'm sure they'd round out the recordings with capable players (guys TR knows, I'm guessing) but without a truly collaborative songwriting/arranging effort "like the good ol' days" I wouldn't expect too much. Still, as Henry said Anderson is at his best when collaborating and I believe he still has some creative juice left in the tank. And hopefully working with old pals like Trevor and Rick could help draw out what good material he has left and fashion it into something Yes fans would enjoy.
    Last edited by Paulrus; 01-09-2016 at 04:04 PM.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

From Wakeman's website http://www.rwcc.com/gorr.asp

"There is one plan in particular that may well get announced in the next few days, but it is not for me alone to announce, but as soon as it can be told, it will be and I will elaborate on the website accordingly....now that’s got you thinking I’m sure!!"

Of course, that could be about his amusing vegetable growing and flatulence based activities oft referred to on his 'Twitter Feed'.
    Last edited by DefinitiveGazer; 01-09-2016 at 04:07 PM.