Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your Prog resolutions for 2016?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpicturekeys View Post
    I resolve to get into a deep discussion with Steve Sly over many fine crafted beverages and finally figure out "what is Prog?"

Uh oh…..if we start discussing which beer is the best it could end up almost as frustrating as defining prog……..

The Resolution will not be televised.

And that's a bad thing? Then I'll resolve to acknowledge your superior knowledge of beer and we'll just drink.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Uh oh…..if we start discussing which beer is the best it could end up almost as frustrating as defining prog……..

Yeah, I wouldn't place odds on that now shoud I?
    Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Do you really think that's gonna happen?

Funny you should mention that. The Porcupine Tree project band we have going are some really great players and I have suggested taking the 70 minutes of unrecorded music from the BP sessions and reworking it with the guys. Who knows?
    I resolve to keep thinking about this and also resolve to see JKL2000 at a festival this year. Progday perhaps??
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Don't forget the Big Picture reunion!

Have you a roommate yet?
    I only have one resolution and that's attending ProgDay.

Quote Originally Posted by tonewalk View Post
    To stop buying new music until I have learned to love (or otherwise) all that already I have. That one bit the dust on New Years Day with orders for vinyl copies of Joni Mitchell's 'Shadows and Light' and Sing to God, The Seaside and Guns. Oh well, start as you mean to go on.
    Shadows and Light. With Metheny, Jaco and Lyle Mays. Now that's an album.
    Don Cassidy
    President, Interviewer, DJ, Artist Promo contact
    Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio
    www.deliciousagony.com

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Now that is something to look forward to!
    Thanks Mark
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I only have one resolution and that's attending ProgDay.
    For me, I don't have to resolve that; it's a given. Save me a seat, Bob.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Funny you should mention that. The Porcupine Tree project band we have going are some really great players and I have suggested taking the 70 minutes of unrecorded music from the BP sessions and reworking it with the guys. Who knows?
    I resolve to keep thinking about this and also resolve to see JKL2000 at a festival this year. Progday perhaps??
    I resolve to get my flight to ProgDay to actually take off from the taxiway this year, so ok!

Have you a roommate yet?
    Nope. I guess it should be a repeat of last year.

I concur wholeheartedly
    Nope. I guess it should be a repeat of last year.

Mine is to finally get around to checking out William D. Drake's solo albums, which I've never heard, despite owning and loving the complete Cardiacs discography and a few of the side projects.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by FKYES View Post
    Shadows and Light. With Metheny, Jaco and Lyle Mays. Now that's an album.
    I'm enjoying this immensely and I've not even got beyond side one yet.

The most important thing for prog in 2016 is to finally establish a proficient online newsletter with interactive functions dedicated to in-depth analysis of Boz Burrell's magnificent vocal solo in KC's "Peoria" (from Earthbound).
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

to deal less with prog and prog subjects and to finally get cracking on my phd which is not on prog, too.

other than that – further investigation on william d. drake seconded!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The most important thing for prog in 2016 is to finally establish a proficient online newsletter with interactive functions dedicated to in-depth analysis of Boz Burrell's magnificent vocal solo in KC's "Peoria" (from Earthbound).
    That would indeed be a most worthwhile endeavor and long overdue!

Boz’s compact treatise (presumably made up on the spot) presents a plethora of epistemological, metaphysical, and axiological arguments in favor of what we might term a positivistic nihilism, which transcends mere solipsism and thus (arguably) marks a watershed of epochal proportions for acosmism.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Boz’s compact treatise (presumably made up on the spot) presents a plethora of epistemological, metaphysical, and axiological arguments in favor of what we might term a positivistic nihilism, which transcends mere solipsism and thus (arguably) marks a watershed of epochal proportions for acosmism.
    You are of course pointing specifically to the part where he goes "[...] wahda-dadda-ada WOOTT'aa-ahha, wadda-hada WOOTT'aa-ahh'o [...]" - right? One of my fave spots of human musicmaking, and an immaculate source of endlessly eternal possibilities for interpretation on absolutely all imaginable levels of both the subconscious and awake cognition of man.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Mine is to finally get around to checking out William D. Drake's solo albums, which I've never heard, despite owning and loving the complete Cardiacs discography and a few of the side projects.
    Oh you must! They're all exquisite. That said, the first album is the most Cardiac-esque (in terms of inhabiting that beautiful weird sound world)given that Tim produced it and I think, in addition to the wonderful tunes, it represents a production high water mark for Tim. The sound of the thing is phenomenal.

Last years Revere Reach is really something.

I resolve to:

Continue to record my own music, hopefully advancing the playing and compositions thereof.

To help a relatively popular Italian band make it to America to play / or prevent them from coming if it will just turn out to be a financial disaster for them.

To continue to build my Italian progressive on vinyl collection.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Werbinox View Post
    To help a relatively popular Italian band make it to America to play / or prevent them from coming if it will just turn out to be a financial disaster for them.
    Rhapsody of Fire? Yes!!!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    You are of course pointing specifically to the part where he goes "[...] wahda-dadda-ada WOOTT'aa-ahha, wadda-hada WOOTT'aa-ahh'o [...]" - right? One of my fave spots of human musicmaking, and an immaculate source of endlessly eternal possibilities for interpretation on absolutely all imaginable levels of both the subconscious and awake cognition of man.
    I can't wait until Wilson 5.1s the damn thing.

You are of course pointing specifically to the part where he goes "[...] wahda-dadda-ada WOOTT'aa-ahha, wadda-hada WOOTT'aa-ahh'o [...]" - right?
    Wahda-dadda-ada WOOTT'aa-ahha, wadda-hada WOOTT'aa-ahh'o is my religion, man! But of course I was also thinking of 4:47:

Don't make no difference what you think about me.
    But it makes a whole lot of difference what I think about you!

Reams of self-help tomes condensed into two lines. Someone had scribbled these iconoclastic words on the inner sleeve of my used Earthbound LP.

A coworker had sold it to me back in the early nineties. Ours was a slightly surreal job in the warehouse of a clothing store. Student’s gotta work and all that. Most of the time there was nothing to do, so we’d just sit around and play chess or read books or talk; occasionally our foremen (two Troy Aikman types who kept singing “I know what I want and I want it now, ‘coz I’m Mr. Vain” or whatever) tried to goad us into action, but we usually ignored them with various degrees of success.

One lanky, long-haired guy never did anything at all. Wore his “Moving Targets” shirt to work EVERY single day. For four weeks. Never talked to anyone. The first day he came to work, the Aikmen asked him to do something and he just told them to f*ck off. They never pestered him again.

Anyway, one day my co-worker kept crapping on about The Great Deceiver box he had just bought. He knew I was a KC fan, but didn’t have the funds for the box. A bit spiteful of him, but such was the vibe in that warehouse where nothing ever happened. (Really, the only time you ever did anything was when a sales girl came in to request a particular item. One Aikman would order you to bring it him, so he could then gallantly hand it to the girl. No direct contact to sales personnel allowed for the lower echelon. That was the one rule you had to abide by. If you didn’t, the Aikmen would bug you for at least a day and they could be annoying as fuck; if you did, you could play chess or read or even take a nap.)

So, yeah…Earthbound. When I took that baby home from the warehouse and spun it for the first time in my greasy bedsit with the Larks’ Tongues cover tattooed on the wall, "21st Century Schizoid Man" with Wallace on drums came on and it blew my mind to shreds. Still the best version of that song, innit?
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Wahda-dadda-ada WOOTT'aa-ahha, wadda-hada WOOTT'aa-ahh'o is my religion, man! But of course I was also thinking of 4:47:

Don't make no difference what you think about me.
    But it makes a whole lot of difference what I think about you!
    WOOTT's that??! Actual verbal vox?! I'd quite forgotten about that even being in there...

Re: "Schizoid" version - yes, I do in fact think this is one of the greatest renditions of it available, and very much due to Boz' vocal input. That scream in the opening of the second verse does the trick, and I love the extended sax solo part. This was by far the punkiest face of the band altogether, and I sometimes wish there'd be more reflections of that quality. Boz, of course, wasn't even much of a bass player - yet he absolutely delivered the necessities.

I also dig the fact that you got this during your university days; I myself was a student from 1991-2002, and this was most definitely my formative coming-of-age phase as far as discovering music goes. My copy of Earthbound is near-mint, yet the local secondhand retailer told me about the title being a token of cheapness and duly let me buy it accordingly - although it's one of the hardest KC vinyls to obtain. I must have bought hundreds of albums by that guy after that, so he made the right salesman move anyway. I also remember getting the High Tide s/t from him (pretty soiled, I admit) for some 5$!

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'm sorry to hear/read this , but hopefully the new year will be a better one for you.
    Thanks for your kind words and thoughts. I've received great support from fans, artists and former clients from the music world which has helped enormously. One old progger asked me to be his tour manager, but he hasn't toured in years! But perhaps he just might as time is slipping away for some of us.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.